Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 AM

78 posts, read 276,935 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am going to send my bro to study in UND to study Electrical Engineering. we have not be in US before so, we have no idea about the UND and the city it self.

what I am worried more about..
1-The weather and his attendance in the university.
2-do you think it is a good choice??
3-is it friendly area with low crime percentage?

many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:41 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesmax View Post
Hi all,

I am going to send my bro to study in UND to study Electrical Engineering. we have not be in US before so, we have no idea about the UND and the city it self.

what I am worried more about..
1-The weather and his attendance in the university.
2-do you think it is a good choice??
3-is it friendly area with low crime percentage?

many thanks,
1. The weather is very cold in the winter, but the University rarely ever closes. Many students either live on campus (in apartments or dorms) or near campus so that they can walk (parking is a problem like on many campuses).

Students that live on apartments further away either allow extra time during the cold weather or they live close enough to the city bus system to take public transport to class.

2. You didn't mention if this was for graduate or undergraduate studies. UND engineering classes are generally much smaller than other universities and are much more likely to have actual professors teaching the classes. In graduate school, a large fraction of the students are from Asia: East, South, and the Near East. There is also a large international center where international students congregate. I don't think he will have difficulty finding friends, especially at the graduate student level. If he is an undergrad, there are fewer international students at that level - and his experience may depend on his English ability and socialibility.

3. Grand Forks is a very low crime area - probably one of the lowest crime possible for a mid-size university. The most significant type crimes would be stealing of bicycles or laptop computers. The campus environment is generally very friendly. The people in the community are generally friendly - but somewhat leary of outsiders.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
From previous posts....you are from Saudi Arabia....if so...your brother has he ever lived in a cooler climate. Just wondering....as the climate will be the biggest change. Has he been in weather much below 0C ?? as 0C would be a warm day in January here. Otherwise Fourwinds gave you excellent info and I cant add much. I live in the Grand Forks area but did not attend UND. UND is a nice small university with good programs.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
1. The weather is very cold in the winter, but the University rarely ever closes. Many students either live on campus (in apartments or dorms) or near campus so that they can walk (parking is a problem like on many campuses).

Students that live on apartments further away either allow extra time during the cold weather or they live close enough to the city bus system to take public transport to class.

2. You didn't mention if this was for graduate or undergraduate studies. UND engineering classes are generally much smaller than other universities and are much more likely to have actual professors teaching the classes. In graduate school, a large fraction of the students are from Asia: East, South, and the Near East. There is also a large international center where international students congregate. I don't think he will have difficulty finding friends, especially at the graduate student level. If he is an undergrad, there are fewer international students at that level - and his experience may depend on his English ability and socialibility.

3. Grand Forks is a very low crime area - probably one of the lowest crime possible for a mid-size university. The most significant type crimes would be stealing of bicycles or laptop computers. The campus environment is generally very friendly. The people in the community are generally friendly - but somewhat leary of outsiders.
thank you for this info. he is undergrad but the most important too me, he is going to study English for a year so I am looking for a place with few Arab speakers by that he will be forced to learn English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
From previous posts....you are from Saudi Arabia....if so...your brother has he ever lived in a cooler climate. Just wondering....as the climate will be the biggest change. Has he been in weather much below 0C ?? as 0C would be a warm day in January here. Otherwise Fourwinds gave you excellent info and I cant add much. I live in the Grand Forks area but did not attend UND. UND is a nice small university with good programs.
Hi, yes I am from Saudi, as I said ... I am looking for area with few Arabs to be forced to speak English. after the ELS classes it would be his choice to transfer or stay in the state.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesmax View Post
thank you for this info. he is undergrad but the most important too me, he is going to study English for a year so I am looking for a place with few Arab speakers by that he will be forced to learn English.

Hi, yes I am from Saudi, as I said ... I am looking for area with few Arabs to be forced to speak English. after the ELS classes it would be his choice to transfer or stay in the state.
Hi

I do know that UND Aerospace has a contract or will be very soon with Saudi Arabia to train Saudi's in flying helicopters. UND Flight school is the biggest or second biggest in the country for training pilots so chances are he will be exposed to some Arabs.

I found an article on the Saudi helicopter training

University of N.D. to train Saudi pilots

Old 08-10-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi

I do know that UND Aerospace has a contract or will be very soon with Saudi Arabia to train Saudi's in flying helicopters. UND Flight school is the biggest or second biggest in the country for training pilots so chances are he will be exposed to some Arabs.

I found an article on the Saudi helicopter training

University of N.D. to train Saudi pilots
even with that, if the number of arabs is 100 or 200 still low. in other areas in US we found huge numbers and most of them talking to each other in Arabic so, NO WAY to learn English.

many thank,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota