Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:43 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times

Advertisements

When I moved from MN to ND, I was amazed at all the bars & liquor stores. I guess in MN, the rules are made up by each town or maybe county. Anyway, the closest bigger town (2500 pop) to us (300 pop) had 2 bars and the only place you could get off sale was at the municipal liquor store. You couldn't order drinks with your meal at the supper club and all the dance halls in the area were BYOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
Here in Michigan most stores sell beer and liquor. I can buy dish soap and beer together. I never knew there were places that had beer stores until my husband went to Pennsylvania. I guess a lot of it is live and learn sort of thing, just have to get use to the way things go out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:34 AM

231 posts, read 736,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
The people of North Dakota voted for this Blue Law...so it was the will of the people in my opinion.
Educate yourselves.
Blue law | Define Blue law at Dictionary.com
Blue law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Friendly Atheist » Erasing ‘Blue Laws’ to Help Economy

For those of you who don't understand the legislative process, we don't vote on making laws. Sometimes, enough vehemence toward a law will get rid of it (petitions, writing to congress critters, etc). As with the ridiculous cohabitation law, it only stays on the books because the elected leaders fear it may lead to moral decline . Until we wrench this ignorant country from the sickness that is religious superstition, there can be no true freedom. That's another discussion, but it is pertinent to understanding life in a somewhat backwards state.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
Acfreema...seriously??? your comment and critique of ND "a somewhat backwards state" is pretty insulting. Just because the people of ND are conservative, does not make us backwards. Maybe people who think "anything goes" are the ones who are backwards? We are a very small state, and most people who live in North Dakota CHOOSE to live here. I don't think department stores closing at Midnight on Saturday nights, and remaining closed till noon on Sunday is such a terrible backwards thing. It is 12 hours out of a week that you can't shop at Wal-mart or Target. You can still pick up emergancy items up at smaller stores or a grocery store (or drive over the river to Moorhead in your case). If the conservative thing is not your thing...so be it...maybe for many of us the liberal things isn't for us. Sounds like you can't buy beer at a grocery store in Pennsylvania either...they have liquor stores like ND...is Pennsylvania backwards as well? As your profile states, you find religion laughable...and you say you are very educated, listing the different colleges you have attended. In MY OPINION...too much education can blur a persons mind and way of thinking. Life should be lived for the most part by common sense with some limits. Without some form of law and rule you have chaos. North Dakota and its people are doing pretty good for themselves. The many new people moving into the state, are moving here for jobs in the oil patch in northwest North Dakota. I can see where are cold winter could be a determination as to whether they decide to stay in the state or not, but I don't think the people are going to leave because they can't shop at Wal-mart for a few hours on a Sunday morning, or have to buy their liquor in a liquor store.

Last edited by Roloff1976; 08-15-2010 at 06:41 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
I currently live in the "king" of conservative states. I'm not so much a conservative. Then again, all I see from liberals is repression, a fleecing, and regulation, so I'm not on their side either (I believe in absolute personal free agency and absolute personal responsibility if that free agency negatively affects others' free agency). One thing I can say about living in a "conservative" state is that although I may not be able to go buy whiskey on Sunday (like I give a damn!), I am free to do pretty much anything I want. I'm not overtaxed. I'm not restricted. I'm not forced to purchase something I don't want. Etc. So living in a conservative state, to me, means that I am pretty much free, even though I don't see eye-to-eye with conservative economics at times.

But that freedom is changing rapidly in my area. As transplants move in, restrictions increase, regulations increase, tax increases, cost of homes (if you can find one that is of reasonable size and not a McMansion) are out of sight, social tensions increase--someone's always whining about some social issue that I couldn't care less about, crime increases, everybody is worried about everyone else's business and activities, and so on. That's one reason that I plan on moving to North Dakota. I want to be free again. I want to be left alone to do my thing. I don't want to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. Please don't tell me those who want to "free society" and in reality simply repress society, are taking over there.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Don't turn this into a political debate. Let's get back on track.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Maybe the laws that would be interesting are the ones that would apply to new residents. For example, how soon do you have to get a ND driver's license or plates on your car. Anything else a new resident needs to be aware of.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,227 times
North Dakota is the one state in the union that technically does not have voter registration. However, you do now need to present photo ID when going to vote, so some consider that to be same day registration.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Drivers license and vehicle registration requirements can be found HERE.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 AM

125 posts, read 645,258 times
I am sorry if I started anything. I was just looking for things that a new resident should be aware of. Like here in Michigan we have the no texting / cell phones while driving. If a cop see's you look down while driving you can be pulled over. That also includes GPS units too. I am now afraid to change the station in the car...lol. I guess we all pay for the dummies that can't be responsible.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM

231 posts, read 736,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
no texting / cell phones while driving
Those actions are already handled appropriately; ever hear of the Darwin Awards?

It is up for debate, but the last I heard, seat-belt use was not considered a primary offense. Chains and studs on car tires are not permitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota