Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,333 times

Advertisements

Ok, so Im going to be checking out the Fargo area pretty soon to see if I like it. Ive been researching it and so far I like what I hear and jobs seem pretty plentifull. Im used to cold weather (new england) , not as cold as what you guys in ND seem to get, but I dont mind it much. But what i was wondering is how the roads are in the winter. Plow coverage good for going to work? Does work shut down if too much snow? Those kinda things. Appreciate any comments/tips.

Thank's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,974,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabobby26 View Post
Ok, so Im going to be checking out the Fargo area pretty soon to see if I like it. Ive been researching it and so far I like what I hear and jobs seem pretty plentifull. Im used to cold weather (new england) , not as cold as what you guys in ND seem to get, but I dont mind it much. But what i was wondering is how the roads are in the winter. Plow coverage good for going to work? Does work shut down if too much snow? Those kinda things. Appreciate any comments/tips.

Thank's
I can give you my experience up here in Grand Forks-East Grand Forks....not likely much different in Fargo. But the main streets are kept up very well during a major snowfall. The side streets are a different story and can be a bit treacherous but generally passable. Honestly the hardest part is getting out of your driveway or parking lot to a street....once you get to a street you are home free and can usually reach your destination although certainly a bit slower than on normal days. If you must go to work overnight like I sometimes do...most plows arent out much say between 10 pm and 4 am in a big storm. I work rotating shifts at my work (national wx service in grand forks) and I have to be in at all the odd times and I can only recall a handful of times since 1998 when I couldnt travel across town to make it in.

As for work shutting down....that all depends on type of work and your boss. Most places dont shut down though. It has to real real bad for that....once or twice every 10 yr type event. Our snow here tends to blow around much more than in New England due to the drier nature of it....thus it isnt too uncommon to get stuck every once in a while in a drift. That has happened to me and I had to rely on others to pull me out.

Like you probably already do...in winter do carry along a survival kit just in case you get stuck at work and cannot get home or get stranded for a while. Blankets, candles, etc.

If you plan on living outside of the main cities or work in the country...then it can be much tougher.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:22 AM

125 posts, read 644,349 times
Can you suggest what to put in a survival kit? Here in Michigan there are so many houses close together, I am in the Thumb, that you can walk and get help within minutes. I have heard stories on TV that during the really bad storms you can easily lose your way on the more desolate Roads. Out here even up north where it's not so populated, there are alot of trees and that makes it easier to find your way. Out in the deep thumb area here there are areas that are flat treeless areas and if your not from around there I can see why it could all look the same during a snow storm.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:48 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,947,925 times
In the Wyoming Forum, we discussed a survival kit to carry in your car. Everybody added their 2 cents worth and come up with a list. To some, it seems rather a large list, but for folks that might get off the beaten trail (Interstate) and travel back highways or even farm roads, the list almost doesn't seem like it covers everything. But for better or worse, here's the list:

Parka
atlas
basic first aid kit
bic lighter
Blankets
Breakfast bars
Candles 6-8
Chain or Strap
Chains or Cables
duck tape, neon orange
Empty Cups
Energy Bars
extra socks
flairs
Flashlights
Fuel
GPS
gun
hand/foot warmers
Ice Scraper
Insulated Bibs/coveralls
Jumper Cables
Leather gloves with liners
Matches, waterproof
Paper Towels
reading books
Relfective Triangles
Road Flares
Sand/kitty litter
Shovel
Snow brush
Toilet Paper
Watch caps or Balaclava
weather radio/cb handheld
whistle
Yellow Rotating Light

Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,974,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
Can you suggest what to put in a survival kit? Here in Michigan there are so many houses close together, I am in the Thumb, that you can walk and get help within minutes. I have heard stories on TV that during the really bad storms you can easily lose your way on the more desolate Roads. Out here even up north where it's not so populated, there are alot of trees and that makes it easier to find your way. Out in the deep thumb area here there are areas that are flat treeless areas and if your not from around there I can see why it could all look the same during a snow storm.
If you live in the rural areas outside of the cities and you drive back and forth a lot ...you definitely want to have the whole kit as described on the red cross and other sites regarding emergency survival. In most cases you will not travel in big storms or blizzards because you can't.

Our family lives in town....and for in town travel we really dont keep too much extra. We do keep a couple of blankets and candles/matches in case vehicle stalls/run out of fuel. I would suggest keeping a shovel in the back and an extra coat.

We dont tend too, but it would have helped me last year when I spun out on a residental street's curve in good weather and went into the snow bank and front tires of my CR-V got stuck. Luckily within a minute of getting stuck we had three vehicles stop and one who had a shovel to help dig out the front tires and one with a rope to pull us out. One car had a kid my son's age and they played during it. Also...going from place to place I dress just warm enough to go from car to a store and back....not thinking of getting stuck somewhere so an extra coat/gloves/hat is nice.

For when we travel to Minot to visit in-laws in good weather....we bring a long some food and extra cash along with the stuff above just in case the car breaks down or whatever and we have to be without heat for an extended period.

I have to travel to work in all kinds of weather in town and usually do fine. There have been a few times when you literally had to guess where the road was as you couldn't see it or honk your horn at intersections because you cant see the other folks. That is pretty rare though maybe a handful of times in 10 yrs.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:17 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,139,510 times
another thing for a survival kit---------put a roll of toilet paper inside a coffee can along with a bottle of rubbing alcohol and matches.

If stranded, pour the bottle of rubbing alcohol over the roll of toilet paper and let it absorb it.

When lit, it will give off heat for a long time as the roll of toilet paper is wrapped tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota