Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweRider View Post
Thanks BG....yeah, I wish you were close enough too! I think I may have found someone to maintain the lawn for me. He's supposed to look at it by the end of the week and give me an estimate. I've also let messages with about 3 other landscape/lawncare companies but haven't gotten a return call yet. I also left a message for the Mayor, but he hasn't returned my call either. I'll get it figured out....I was just shocked by the $500 per lot fee, especially when each lot is only 25x140!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason for the steep fee is the town in North Dakota doesn't want to be the lawn service for an absentee owner from South Carolina.

If they charged low fees, you probably would let them do it.

It's working !

The high fees have resulted in you actually searching for a lawn maintenance person/company on your own.

Were you looking for one before you found out the city's fees?

Apparently not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM

27 posts, read 49,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The reason for the steep fee is the town in North Dakota doesn't want to be the lawn service for an absentee owner from South Carolina.

If they charged low fees, you probably would let them do it.

It's working !

The high fees have resulted in you actually searching for a lawn maintenance person/company on your own.

Were you looking for one before you found out the city's fees?

Apparently not.

It's amazing to me how condescending people can be on here. I was pleasantly surprised with the positive and helpful comments by the others, but someone had to jump in with some negativism. Marmac, I just purchased the property 8 weeks ago. Actually a little before that, but was paying over time, so my ownership didn't begin until end of July. I am going up there for 2 weeks beginning next Thursday so plans were to get scheduled lawn maintenance and a few other things taken care of then. So yes I had thought of lawn maintenance but hadn't nailed down specifics as of yet.
If the town was truly so concerned about the height of the grass on my property and were diligently notifying the previous owners as they did me, the grass wouldn't have had time to grow high enough to "nuissance" levels in a matter of a few weeks, now would it? Point is, evidently the town didn't bother with it prior to my taking ownership. The notice was dated Sept 7th, so if I took ownership at the end of July, would the grass had grown to such high levels to warrant a "nuissance" letter in 5 or so weeks if the town had been jumping on it prior to my ownership? Doubtful.
Anyhow, you'll be pleased to know that I do have someone quoting the lawn maintenance this week and calls to other companies in the area to respond with quotes as well. I've also contacted the Mayor who sent the notice but haven't gotten a response from him yet. Hopefully will soon.
Marmac, if I read your response in the wrong light, I apologize. If I read it with the sarcastic tone you may have intended, well then game on!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
It's amazing to me how condescending people can be on here. I was pleasantly surprised with the positive and helpful comments by the others, but someone had to jump in with some negativism. Marmac, I just purchased the property 8 weeks ago. Actually a little before that, but was paying over time, so my ownership didn't begin until end of July. I am going up there for 2 weeks beginning next Thursday so plans were to get scheduled lawn maintenance and a few other things taken care of then. So yes I had thought of lawn maintenance but hadn't nailed down specifics as of yet.
If the town was truly so concerned about the height of the grass on my property and were diligently notifying the previous owners as they did me, the grass wouldn't have had time to grow high enough to "nuissance" levels in a matter of a few weeks, now would it? Point is, evidently the town didn't bother with it prior to my taking ownership. The notice was dated Sept 7th, so if I took ownership at the end of July, would the grass had grown to such high levels to warrant a "nuissance" letter in 5 or so weeks if the town had been jumping on it prior to my ownership? Doubtful.
Anyhow, you'll be pleased to know that I do have someone quoting the lawn maintenance this week and calls to other companies in the area to respond with quotes as well. I've also contacted the Mayor who sent the notice but haven't gotten a response from him yet. Hopefully will soon.
Marmac, if I read your response in the wrong light, I apologize. If I read it with the sarcastic tone you may have intended, well then game on!
There is always one in the bunch sadly. It ruins CD for many. I generally take a break from this site every now and then due to it. Now for your post, I dont think you are being paranoid at all. I moved into a town that was very politically driven and if you didnt know so and so, your life was hell. I eventually moved 5 yrs later. I am hoping that they are just testing the waters at this point to see how far they can push you. I will be surprised if you ever get a call back. Pay to have the grass cut and go from there. I really hope this doesnt turn into a little nightmare for you especially when it comes time to start building your place and you need permits etc. You could always offer to sell the property to the guy that contacted you, for 10 times as much.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,096 times
lowrider
call state att.file a abuse of power against the mayor

Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
There is always one in the bunch sadly. It ruins CD for many. I generally take a break from this site every now and then due to it. Now for your post, I dont think you are being paranoid at all. I moved into a town that was very politically driven and if you didnt know so and so, your life was hell. I eventually moved 5 yrs later. I am hoping that they are just testing the waters at this point to see how far they can push you. I will be surprised if you ever get a call back. Pay to have the grass cut and go from there. I really hope this doesnt turn into a little nightmare for you especially when it comes time to start building your place and you need permits etc. You could always offer to sell the property to the guy that contacted you, for 10 times as much.

Thanks so much for the positive response! Maybe the other poster came off sarcastic and didn't mean to. I'm hoping that's the case. I'm really looking forward to my vacation and eventual retirement place there in the wilds of ND! I researched it out and really fell in love with the place. There, MT, WY were on the tops of the list when I did my research. I'm thinking this will all work out. Hopefully the guy in Minot I spoke with will get me a quote this week and can jump on the grass cutting before I get popped for over 2 grand to mow the grass! I know what I can do now - start my own lawn maintenance business there and charge half of what the town would charge and make a killin'!!!!!
Again, thanks for the good vibes. I'm looking forward to my visit next week and my eventual relocation there....hopefully!!!!
Alan

Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
lowrider
call state att.file a abuse of power against the mayor
Hello Steve! Hopefully it won't come to that. I've spoken with the Mayor's wife and she promised he would call me back today. We'll see. I'm sure this will all blow over when I get a contract with someone to regularly maintain the property while I'm 1600 miles away! I was honestly just shocked by receiving a certified letter stating I had 15 days from the post-mark to mow the grass or I would be charged almost $3k everytime they mowed it! Obviously I know the need to maintain my property. That is not an issue at all for me. As a matter of fact, I look forward to having a nice, well-kept place to go to. But, again I'll say, I felt the town/Mayor was heavy-handed in their approach to this....Thanks man.
Alan

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the positive response! Maybe the other poster came off sarcastic and didn't mean to. I'm hoping that's the case. I'm really looking forward to my vacation and eventual retirement place there in the wilds of ND! I researched it out and really fell in love with the place. There, MT, WY were on the tops of the list when I did my research. I'm thinking this will all work out. Hopefully the guy in Minot I spoke with will get me a quote this week and can jump on the grass cutting before I get popped for over 2 grand to mow the grass! I know what I can do now - start my own lawn maintenance business there and charge half of what the town would charge and make a killin'!!!!!
Again, thanks for the good vibes. I'm looking forward to my visit next week and my eventual relocation there....hopefully!!!!
Alan
Cool, keep thinking positive. It just might be a case of their concern you are out of town and might forget about the property. Visiting often is good and well a little honey always helps. Praise the area, how you are so looking forward to living there because its such a beautiful place with great people.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:

---would the grass have grown in such high levels-----

Unless your lots were in a drought area, 5 or more weeks w/o mowing would turn them into an eyesore.

We do rotational grazing and with adequate rainfall the pastures must be grazed every 4 weeks or the grass is too high .

Neighbors around me cut and bale hay every 28 days ( 4 weeks)

Not being a smart alec, just stating facts.

Many cities ( even small ones) have a requirement that property owners are responsible for removing snow from sidewalks.

If they don't the city does it at a steep fee?

Why?.........they don't want to be in the snow removal business when it comes to residental sidewalks and charging steep fees " encourages" property owners to line up snow removal services if they can't/won't do it themselves.

Not harping on you specifically, but in any smaller town/city they are going to make sure some person from out of state purchasing 7 lots is gonna get monitored so it doesn't turn into an eyesore.

No reason to take my posts as insulting.

I would expect the same if I bought 7 lots in South Carolina and didn't mow them for over 5 weeks.

I suspect the city and/or neighbors would be a little upset.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Cool, keep thinking positive. It just might be a case of their concern you are out of town and might forget about the property. Visiting often is good and well a little honey always helps. Praise the area, how you are so looking forward to living there because its such a beautiful place with great people.

Yep! That's the plan. Compliment where it's warranted. And from what I can tell of the beautiful area, my compliments and praises will be honest! Thanks again and I'll report back on my trip....I'm sure it will be a great visit!
Alan

Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---would the grass have grown in such high levels-----

Unless your lots were in a drought area, 5 or more weeks w/o mowing would turn them into an eyesore.

We do rotational grazing and with adequate rainfall the pastures must be grazed every 4 weeks or the grass is too high .

Neighbors around me cut and bale hay every 28 days ( 4 weeks)

Not being a smart alec, just stating facts.

Many cities ( even small ones) have a requirement that property owners are responsible for removing snow from sidewalks.

If they don't the city does it at a steep fee?

Why?.........they don't want to be in the snow removal business when it comes to residental sidewalks and charging steep fees " encourages" property owners to line up snow removal services if they can't/won't do it themselves.

Not harping on you specifically, but in any smaller town/city they are going to make sure some person from out of state purchasing 7 lots is gonna get monitored so it doesn't turn into an eyesore.

No reason to take my posts as insulting.

I would expect the same if I bought 7 lots in South Carolina and didn't mow them for over 5 weeks.

I suspect the city and/or neighbors would be a little upset.
Points taken and well stated. I'm on it now like flies on a rib-roast so all should be sorted shortly. I do value input from all sides....guess I just took your response as a bit condescending. My apologies. Thanks for taking the time to join the discussion. I look forward to reporting back with some good news soon.
Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota