Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM

23 posts, read 87,602 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to North Dakota.
I am relocating from Michigan what is a good city to move to?
I am okay with the cold, will need a job.
I am looking to rent or buy a house with financing at a reasonable price.
I am into hunting and hockey. Just looking for a friendly community to settle down in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 06:15 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,035,245 times
What do you do for a living? One concern about heading to the northwest (Williston, Minot, etc.) might be that the cost of housing is prohibitively high and scarce as a result of the oil field boom, but if you're not going to be raking in a large oil field income it might not make sense to head out that way, but rather to the likes of Fargo.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 PM

I am in retail, customer service, merchandising.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 AM

80 posts, read 209,155 times
Probably would want to stick somewhere within commuting distance of Bismarck, Fargo or Grand Forks. I've heard Minot is growing fast, so that might be a possibility. I'd do my research -- my daughter is in retail and found the pay versus cost of living to be difficult in ND; as a result she ended up in Minneapolis. However, a lot of people work through that just fine. I've been seeing a lot of signs up looking for employees at different stores here in Grand Forks; however I would venture to guess those are entry positions and probably pretty low pay. Would probably need to check the corporate headquarters or possibly ND Job Service to locate management (thus higher paying) positions. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM

559 posts, read 1,461,990 times
If you are looking for retail jobs...I wouldn't come to Minot. Even the "professional" jobs such as administrative assisting, office managers, and such, where you work in an office environment, only pay from $10-$12 an hr. This is low because rent and housing prices are VERY high. I know several people who have 2 jobs, and sometimes 3 jobs. I am not familiar with Fargo or Grand Forks but they are bigger towns, not huge, but probably have a few more options when looking for jobs. I know that hunting is very popular up here, and ice fishing and hockey. In fact, this week is now deer hunting season! Sounds like you will enjoy it up here.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:08 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,035,245 times
It's strange to hear that housing prices and (scarce) apartment rents are so high in Minot while the wages are low. It almost sounds like a little piece of California in North Dakota. Is it all a result of the air force base and the oil boom? The people at the air force base probably aren't earning enough to justify the high housing prices. Hopefully Minot will develop more hotels, more apartments, and more houses.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,203,124 times
Default Not Air Force

According to some AF vets I worked with, Minot AFB is akin to Thule AB in Greenland. It is one of the few places where you put in for a transfer the day after you arrive and you really tried hard not to go in the first place. The boom in Minot is from the Bakken play. I would recommend retail/non-oil finance/sales people investigate their wages and lifestyle expectations fully before moving there as the high revenues are due to the oil activity. The drillers are moving further west into Williams county so people in Minot commute further. The drillers do like to throw money around and it prices some of the long time residents out of the market. Costs of living are higher as Minot is further from big distribution centers so there is a higher cost from transportation.

Minot isn't a bad place but when the bust happens, and it will happen at some point, it is likely to weather the bust better than some places.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:32 PM

419 posts, read 1,391,332 times
I am looking to move to North Dakota.
I am relocating from Michigan what is a good city to move to?
I am okay with the cold, will need a job.
I am looking to rent or buy a house with financing at a reasonable price.
I am into hunting and hockey. Just looking for a friendly community to settle down in.

I would start looking in Fargo or Grand Forks. Both cities are regional retail centers. Hockey is huge in Grand Forks. Pheasant hunting is bigger farther west, but deer hunting is all over western MN (within an hour of either GF or Fargo).
Are you coming from east side or western MI?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 PM

eastern MI north side of Lk. St. Clair

Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM

419 posts, read 1,391,332 times
It's colder in ND than in MI, but in comparison at least w/ Western MI (I'm originally from GR) it is much, much sunnier during the winter months. I never lived in Eastern MI, so I'm not sure how much of the lake effect cloudiness faded by the time the weather fronts got to eastern MI. I would back up the advice to have leads on some good job prospects before coming out, or at least have a reasonable amount saved up to stake you for a bit before moving.
Not at all related to your situation, but Fargo is dealing w/ some new situations right now. We're seeing record increases in homeless numbers. There are those who moved to the oil fields who are now starting to feel the increasing cold. Tent cities and living out of your truck just don't work as well when the morning lows are 20 degrees or so. In addition to that, there are folks headed here with nothing beyond news reports that unemployment is low in ND. It could be an interesting winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota