Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 10,177 times

Advertisements

Hey.

I am moving to Grand Forks specifically for EDd at UND. The last college town I lived in was Missoula, MT while attending the University of Montana.

I have heard there are a few similarities and Podunk USA lists it as similar.

Does anyone have any experience with the two places? Are they similar?

Would you consider Grand Forks to be a college town?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 AM

231 posts, read 736,489 times
Having gotten degrees at state schools and private schools, I would steer you away from state schools. Professors are often not near the level of (most) private schools, the system turns you into a number (if that matters to you), one on one time with instructors is nearly impossible to get, and the corruption in administration is widespread (though it does vary from place to place).

Granted, there are some state schools that are great choices, but not always for everything. A lot of state schools have strong points, and little else worth your time. Do some research before throwing your money at a college in the hopes of making big money with that piece of paper.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
I have never been to Missoula, so I cant compare the two. Grand Forks is a college town, but there are sufficient other things and employers around so that UND doesnt dominate like it would in a very small town. But nonetheless you know when the college kids are in town or gone for the summer.

Scenery of course is different...but other than that never having been to MSU I just cant compare well enough to help you out. Obviously colder here too than in Missoula which are protected by the mountains.

You do know of course UND is joining the Big Sky in sports so look forward to seeing MSU come here for football and basketball in a couple years.

Dan

Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
Having gotten degrees at state schools and private schools, I would steer you away from state schools. Professors are often not near the level of (most) private schools, the system turns you into a number (if that matters to you), one on one time with instructors is nearly impossible to get, and the corruption in administration is widespread (though it does vary from place to place).

Granted, there are some state schools that are great choices, but not always for everything. A lot of state schools have strong points, and little else worth your time. Do some research before throwing your money at a college in the hopes of making big money with that piece of paper.
Private school or public school, I'm not going to lie to you, it doesn't matter. I went to a private school. I have friends who have degrees in civil engineering, english, criminal justice, I have mine in psychology, graphic design...I don't know any of them that are making any kind of money or have a job in their degree field. I hope you have some connections to get a job because it's a very hard and depressing job market ESPECIALLY in a state like ND where there's not a whole lot going on.
I have one friend who has a good job with a degree in economics, of course but he still isn't raking in the big bucks. I really wish someone had told me I didn't have to go to college, I could have just gone to McDs and made the same hourly wage there but oh well

So yeah it's probably a good idea to look at some statistics of how many graduates of the college actually have jobs that pay more than 20k a year and are actually in their degree field.

As for the town itself, it's small but you might be used to that. Grand Forks is actually pretty close to Winnipeg and Minneapolis which are nice places to visit if you have the chance. It's also close to Fargo but I don't consider Fargo really large, still it probably has more to do than other town in ND.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:47 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Default Big Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Scenery of course is different...but other than that never having been to MSU I just cant compare well enough to help you out. Obviously colder here too than in Missoula which are protected by the mountains.

You do know of course UND is joining the Big Sky in sports so look forward to seeing MSU come here for football and basketball in a couple years.

Dan
Please allow me to be the first to nit-pick. Montana State University, MSU, is in Bozeman. Our arch-rival, University of Montana or UM, is in Missoula. Please remember this otherwise you'll have no idea where the conference trophys go evey year.

Welcome to the conference. Now upgrade your football stadium.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Please allow me to be the first to nit-pick. Montana State University, MSU, is in Bozeman. Our arch-rival, University of Montana or UM, is in Missoula. Please remember this otherwise you'll have no idea where the conference trophys go evey year.

Welcome to the conference. Now upgrade your football stadium.
Bad me....you are so right....

thanks!

Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
Grand Forks and Missoula are definately different as far as scenery...Missoula has the mountains...but one thing Grand Forks has going for it is Minnesota!!! Grand Forks is very close to some very nice lakes and forests. Otherwise, school wise, shopping, bars, etc... are pretty much the same. Grand Forks is definately a college town...but the Air Force base in GF could start playing a major part in the GF demographics as it begins to expand and bring more military folks in.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM

7 posts, read 10,177 times
Thanks for the reply acfreema. UND is offering me a scholarship so it seems like a good deal. I agree that state schools can be bad, but it ends up being what you get out of it sometimes.

I heard the Minnesota area is nice.

Does anyone know about cost of living comparisons. Missoula, and Montana in general have higher than normal from Cali migration. Not sure if that is the same thing for Grand Forks. I was checking on craigslist, but it's hard to tell from there.

Flyingcat2k is right, there needs to be sufficient space for the Griz trophies...

Oldest rivalry in the US: History of the Montana Griz-Cat Rivalry http://www.egriz.com/grizcat.php
69-35-5

Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Hi

Most apartment complexes are owned by property management companies and I suggest going to their websites to check individual complexes...

Forest Park, Southwinds and Legacy are pretty popular with students. Legacy is on the higher end of things and apartments have garages and some have underground parking.

IRET Properties - North Dakota - Apartments for Rent

Here are some others.... McEnroe Place rented by Dakota Commercial is also popular and new and a quick walk to UND. Of course new also means more expensive.

Dakota Commercial

Goldmark is another company that owns some buildings....

Goldmark

Gas here (87 octane) is 2.89....

You can use the above to compare to Missoula. I dont keep tab much on food prices....

Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Default The history department is dUMb!

I only post this for future Big Sky Conference readers.

Cat-Griz is the 2nd oldest continuously football rivalry west of the Mississippi and 9th overall according to both schools athletic dept's. There are older rivalries splitting the Mississippi or west of the Mississippi but they missed years that were not interrupted by WWI or WWII.

In no way is it the oldest and not close enough to it as Princeton-Yale predated the founding of both universities (1873).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota