Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM

125 posts, read 643,883 times

Advertisements

I have 2 chihuahua's, and we are moving out there next month. does anyone have any experience with potty time? I don't think I can send them outside when it gets that cold. we live in Michigan and our cold days don't last as long. I was thinking of indoor potty grass thing I saw on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 AM

419 posts, read 1,391,857 times
Haven't heard of folks using that; most small dogs I see have coats & booties for outside time.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,962,716 times
We had a 20 lb toy poddle-maltese mix and we just kept an area shoveled for her off the garage side door which led to the backyard and she was fine. She knew from the cold that she only had a small time to do her business.

Now we didnt take her for walks in the very cold and that is when sweaters/booties come in handy if you do. But dogs adapt pretty well.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:55 PM

431 posts, read 1,601,397 times
I know of one person who trained to use the newspaper and another dog that uses cat litter in an oversize bin.

What brings you to North Dakota?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM

559 posts, read 1,462,482 times
We have a 7lb Shetland puppy and she stays outside and goes to the bathroom no problem at all.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:01 PM

125 posts, read 643,883 times
My husband is working out in watford City. The company is putting housing up and we are going to move out there. I guess I will try them outside, shovel an area for them and maybe build a little potty area. When it gets really cold out here my one dog will use the bathroom and run back in...lol.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,695,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
I have 2 chihuahua's, and we are moving out there next month. does anyone have any experience with potty time? I don't think I can send them outside when it gets that cold. we live in Michigan and our cold days don't last as long. I was thinking of indoor potty grass thing I saw on TV.
Just keep an eye on them and they should be fine. I had a Jack Russell who didn't seem to be able to comprehend that it was too cold out. He would go hoping around in the snow and then start to freeze up. He would literally get so cold he couldn't move any more. I would have to go out in to the yard and pick him up. So dogs can be dumb in that respect.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,907,193 times
Many years ago, I was stationed in San Diego in the Navy. We had a Tea Cup poodle. Weighed all of less then a pound.

We had come up to Wyoming to visit during Christmas. Pour little pup didn't even think we were human, bringing her to god for saken country.

I cleared off a bit of ground for her to potty on. Then I went back in the house and put her in my coat and took her outside. Placed her on the open grass and she stood there for a minute and tipped over. I quickly placed her in my coat and took her inside. It was 43 below zero. No wind chill, just cold. A few minutes later she decided she still had to go. I again took her out inside my coat and when I put her down she was in the official squat position. She peed. Then tipped over and looked at me like it was my fault. I grabbed her up and stuck her in my coast and felt so bad.

Years later, I got out of the Navy and moved back here. Dog was still with me. Cold weather was not a problem, she had met it, head on, and now she liked it.

She lived to be 19. Every year she went out and tackled the cold. Some nights she would really give me one of those looks, other nights, she licked my hand.

But the point is that your pets may or maynot get used to the weather up here. It's up to you. Keep them inside during radically cold, let them out when you can. But "When you can" may vary.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 PM

59 posts, read 233,543 times
we have 2 chihuahua's too and they do fine out here in the cold we let them out about 4 times a day to potty the short haired one does it real fast and our long haired one likes to wander a bit but for the most part they get out there ,get there business done and back in ,we also crate them when we are gone in the house so we dont come home to any surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota