Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 01:30 PM
CTC CTC started this thread

668 posts, read 1,468,241 times

Advertisements

Hey all
We just relocated to Bozeman, MT. I know there is a lot of economic activity due to oil production in ND.

I have some good experience in the chemistry/field work side of oil/gas and mining and have degrees in Chemistry and Natural Resource Management. I have found some links that look interesting and am applying.

One of my main questions is if anyone knows about typical schedules for science/hydrology types-a seven day on-off or some what similar situation might be very doable from Bozeman. A long shot question-but wanted to ask. Thanks.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,220,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
Hey all
We just relocated to Bozeman, MT. I know there is a lot of economic activity due to oil production in ND.

I have some good experience in the chemistry/field work side of oil/gas and mining and have degrees in Chemistry and Natural Resource Management. I have found some links that look interesting and am applying.

One of my main questions is if anyone knows about typical schedules for science/hydrology types-a seven day on-off or some what similar situation might be very doable from Bozeman. A long shot question-but wanted to ask. Thanks.

Chris
It depends on what you are looking for and what you want to do. If you want to be a rig hand and have some pretty dirty work, there are shifts going 2 weeks on, 1 week off but who is offering those I really don't know. Some of the other posters may know that. Typically, in an oil industry shift rotation, it is 3 weeks on and 1 week off. From Bozeman, there is no easy transportation there and back other than by car. Some of the oil hands that have 3-1 week shifts live in Havre or Great Falls and use Amtrac to get home and to work. When the air service in Sidney changes from Great Lakes to their new service, the hub for the new service will be in Billings and would at least offer a shorter drive.

As far as the professional jobs go, you will need to live in the area (ie. Williston or Sidney and 2k/mo rent) or back at corporate HQ (Denver, Tulsa, OKC, Houston). Most of the drillers and oil companies aren't going to allow you to be away from the "control" of being out of your managers line of sight. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:19 AM

979 posts, read 3,670,830 times
There are companies like say Astro Chem (Williston) that do work for the oil companies. Testing soils and samples, etc... I'm guessing many of the oil companies employ their own lab techs for testing samples?? I'm not sure how that all works either. Depending on the type of work, and the oil company...I'm also guessing they would want you available when they need testing or lab work completed??? But if they have numerous lab techs on hand, maybe a rotation would work? Not sure about that one.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM
CTC CTC started this thread

668 posts, read 1,468,241 times
Thanks for the reply and info. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,363,205 times
I know that Schlumberger has their own in house lab techs, I think Halliburton does as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota