Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,316 times

Advertisements

After checking out current unemployment rates in several different states, I noticed that ND has a rate between 2.7% and 3.2%. Considering the economic conditions in the US, those are amazing numbers.

What factors contribute to such low numbers?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:25 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
You might do a search of the forum, that topic has been discussed in detail, numerous times.

Also, a lot of other threads talk about the jobs going now along with the problem of not enough housing for the workers they have. Right now there are people living in their cars in Williston.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,041 times
Bakken oilfield North Dakota - google it.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
Bakken oilfield North Dakota - google it.

Now explain the other 2/3rds of the state.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
The link below is from North Dakota Job Service. It shows the various counties in the state and their unemployment numbers. The west is probably the lowest...as you move across towards the east,..the unemployment rises a bit in some areas...but definately not by much. I'm guessing the lower numbers and the higher numbers (even though not really high)....average out to pretty low unemployment numbers overall.

http://www.ndworkforceintelligence.com/admin/gsipub/htmlarea/uploads/lmi_maplauscntyunemprate201010.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 PM

99 posts, read 220,165 times
There is a lot of farming in North Dakota, that is somewhat recession proof since people still need to eat although I'm pretty sure agriculture also takes hits.

I've heard that the Bank of North Dakota also helps but I don't know anything about that.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Some factors to consider...

1. Low population, low unemployment...

2. Cold weather, long harsh cold winters...a turn off to many, so they don't go there...thus keeps population low..

3.North Dakota is not a destination place, for those looking for a better life, like say Los Angelos is, or New York or Miami...there's no Hollywood or film industry in ND where people leave home with $1.00 in pocket and a year later are on Oprah's show telling their story...

4. A lot of unemployment comes from big industries that move in, and then move out, thus leaving people unemployed...My guess is that doesn't occur in ND...growth is slow and steady...

5. If your unemployed or already down, ND is not exactly the place you think of going for more opportunity, there-by cutting down on an excess population.

6. Like where I'm from...a wide open ag state...you really don't move there, unless you have a purpose...that purpose being school (college)(University)(military)...there's just not a whole lot of loitering in cold ag states...

To me, those are just some of the possible obvious reasons...

But again I'd like to emphasize big industry...since there's never really been any in ND, none closed and sent people packing...

Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,127 times
Keep in mind also that ND has a lower population than a lot of states. You can't really compare them to other states that have large populations. Other than that, I think it's because it's so cold here you can't really live on the streets (most of the time) and it's not cheap to live here and I know several people have 2 or 3 jobs just to get by.

Also, the oilfields have more jobs available than people if you are qualified to work in the oil fields or even want to. So...farming and oil probably pay the most, everything else is like $9/hr which isn't really enough to sustain someone in expensive towns.

But that's just my opinion. I would definitely take any job I could get than live in my car in -60 windchill temps.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM

16 posts, read 85,370 times
My husband and I are relocating to North Dakota for work after 10 months of being unemployed on our state (Washington). When I looked up population density I was surprised to see that the entire state of North Dakota has the population of Seattle, WA. The average was given as one person per 8 miles, lol. This is definitely going to skew the unemployment rate numbers somewhat.

~Lara

Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Also keep in mind that North Dakota doesn't have any really large cities with large amounts of urban poor; it's a very rural state. Also, if you are college educated and unemployed it's quite likely that you would leave North Dakota for better opportunities in a large city.

For some reason low wages (other than in the oil patch) accompany the low unemployment even though the cost of living is really not that low. It would be interesting to know what percentage of North Dakotans are college educated and either underpaid and/or underemployed (at retail and blue collar jobs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota