U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:52 PM

454 posts, read 873,932 times

Advertisements

I don't have the chance to read this forum often, but when I do the first thing that confronts me is the rampant negativity of many of the posters in regards to anything that has ANYTHING to do with life in North Dakota.

"It's boring" - how many times have I read that one? If you are really that bored and have seemingly so much time to sit and post repeatedly on a daily basis, why don't you get out and do something for somebody else? Volunteer at a nursing home, an animal shelter, a homeless shelter/food kitchen, a domestic violence shelter - WHERE EVER!! You would cease being bored and you would benefit others at the same time - you would probably start to feel grateful for ALL you have, whether it's your youth, your health, your safety, your money, your home..........who knows what you might be taking for granted without even realizing it.

If you are still bored, get a job, even if it is below what you consider your worth to be - remember, your prospective employer is not your Dad, Mom, Uncle or Cousin, they don't know how special you are, to them you are just another ******* looking for a job. Not only will you be working and therefore less bored (if that is possible) but you will also be earning some money - granted, it's less than you feel you are worth, but money IS money.

I could go on and on forever with just a few of the things I have read today, but since most people don't like to read a book, I'll stop here for now.

Another thing I have noticed, I think that the most negative among us here, get a real charge out of instigating trouble, then often times doing a bit of recanting when the heat gets too hot - I think some of it is done for the attention - truly, there are some very, very bored people out there.

I have never been bored and sometimes wish I understood what it feels like to be bored - but it must not be good, because everyone who uses the term 'bored' uses it in a derogatory way.

I appreciate those of you who stick up for the North Dakota way of life, we are an island in a very crazy world - and we like it that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 PM

72 posts, read 133,540 times
Hahaha I feel like this is mostly targeted towards one person But this is a free world and he/she is allowed to vent So I just respect their opinion and take it as a different point of view

Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Oh man...........the word that got deleted was S C H M U C K !!! I didn't realize that was a 'bad' one. Opinions are like belly buttons, every one has one, and we are free to share them, I just had to vent a little back in their direction. Seems to me it has become a little redundant and 'over the top' with the griping about life here in North Dakota, one only has to get into their car and drive OUT of the state, why stay and crab at anyone that will listen or should I say crab at anyone that will read?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM

555 posts, read 1,535,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Oh man...........the word that got deleted was S C H M U C K !!! I didn't realize that was a 'bad' one. Opinions are like belly buttons, every one has one, and we are free to share them, I just had to vent a little back in their direction. Seems to me it has become a little redundant and 'over the top' with the griping about life here in North Dakota, one only has to get into their car and drive OUT of the state, why stay and crab at anyone that will listen or should I say crab at anyone that will read?
If you don't like it, don't read it. People have just as much right to post their less than positive views as those who wants to post their glowing views. In my mind, that provides balance to prospective residents. Frankly, I'd be suspicious if all I read was positive information... just as most negative information is taken with a grain of salt. The more rounded the info presented, the fuller the picture someone can draw from what they read. Believe it or not, North Dakota isn't perfect for everyone. Some people may have valid gripes based on their wants and needs in life.

I've made it clear... I would never live in ND again... but I don't begrudge my friends and family who choose to. They obviously want different things out of life and feel they can get it in ND... I don't, so I don't live there. Unfortunately, not everyone has/had the opportunities I did to leave.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM

If I don't like it don't read it? It's kind of hard to miss when it's all over the North Dakota forum and truly, it's a shame. I have noticed that a few others have tried to voice their opinions also, only to always be over ridden by comments such as yours - no wonder not many post here. Thankfully not many probably read it either.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM

639 posts, read 1,182,402 times
This is an internet forum where people discuss and debate there veiwpoints on certain cities/states/countries, etc.
It only makes sense that someone would call ND boring because, compared to almost every other state in the US, it is boring, not to say its a bad state (quite far from the opposite) But it has it's negatives like almost every state, it being boring is one of them, expect it to be discussed on here.

Go to other forums on here, they talk about the negatives there.... The over-crowding, the crime, the ghettos, the pollution, etc. Consider someone the discussions on N. Dakota boring like the conversations on the Detroit forum about there random crime, population decrease and abandonment, and stop getting so emotional and protective about it.

Ive been to N and S Dakota, SD is more boring, but ND is one of the most boring states in the US, its just a fact due to the population, the density, and the culture, however boring is not always a negative. I would rather live in a boring city or town than one thats exciting because people are fighting, robbing, and shooting all the time.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM

639 posts, read 1,182,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
If I don't like it don't read it? It's kind of hard to miss when it's all over the North Dakota forum and truly, it's a shame. I have noticed that a few others have tried to voice their opinions also, only to always be over ridden by comments such as yours - no wonder not many post here. Thankfully not many probably read it either.
Not many post here for the same reasons tons of people post on the NYC forum. 80 Cities in the US have metropolitan areas with bigger populations than the entire state of ND, and at least 20 of those I would consider small cities or towns with little influence, and the bottom half of them are what most people would consider boring cities.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 PM

49 posts, read 100,285 times
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Norsk/Deutsch/Polska again."

At least now you know I tried

Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM

555 posts, read 1,535,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Not many post here for the same reasons tons of people post on the NYC forum. 80 Cities in the US have metropolitan areas with bigger populations than the entire state of ND, and at least 20 of those I would consider small cities or towns with little influence, and the bottom half of them are what most people would consider boring cities.
I was going to ask if most of ND had internet yet... but your post is probably more tactful

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM

419 posts, read 1,284,639 times
Oh pul-eeze . . .
online in ND for over 16 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota