Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,171 times

Advertisements

Woman's Path to Work Ends in Rural, and Job-Rich, North Dakota - washingtonpost.com

Anyone remember this?
I thought this was a really well-done and timely article written a couple yrs ago... I don't why but I found it fascinating. A woman without much means, in her late-middle age years, goes to great lengths to find a job that seems like not much, but it tells a lot about how bad things were where she was from. It was courageous of her to jump into the unknown and do what she had to do to survive. Anyone know if there's ever been a follow-up to this article? Just wondering how Ms. Morgan is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM

979 posts, read 3,670,035 times
I remember this. I googled, and the only thing were 100's of stories from different publications for the exact story from the Washington post. I did google "address" and she is still listed. However, it says Hannaford, ND (which is close to Glenfield)..so it could be a matter of Post office vs. the actual town...but this address might be an old one, so doesn't necessarily mean she is still in ND??. It would be interesting to see if she survived the last 2 years in North Dakota. But, yes, it did make for a good story.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Yeah.. I already searched, found nothin'. Was just wondering if any local news sources did a follow-up, (or perhaps the original author)... Sure would be interesting to hear what happened afterwards.. if she's glad she did it, or if she loves it there & considers it home now, still has her job, or regrets it, if she moved again, etc...!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,944 times
I read the article, and one question lingers in my mind...

...what's a hay barrel?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,822 times
I enjoyed the article. However, I couldn't understand why she thought doing a 300 mile round-trip per day commute would end up being less expensive than owning an apartment. It seems like a huge amount of trouble and the cost of gasoline day in and day out would be prohibitive. I would assume she eventually found a job in Glenfield.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM

bhaal- I wondered the same thing! I think the point of that was she was so desperate that she took what she could get... and that was literally, all she could get. It must be that the cheapest home she would find was really that far from Bismarck. It seemed like a life of hardship to me (rising at 4:30, 300 round trip drive, home after dark)... I wonder if things ever got any easier for her? Stories like that also make me thing about how we ended up such a fractured society.... family members scattered all over the country and everyone is on their own, instead of sticking together and pooling your resources. And when family members need help, why is everyone so isolated? It's such a strange world we live in now.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Travis- Hay Barrels are those round rolls of hay you see in fields in the country.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,944 times
Huh, I thought it was a typo. Never heard that one before.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:36 PM

454 posts, read 940,713 times
Holy WOW this woman has some guts! Really does conjure up visions of the gutsy homesteaders over a hundred years ago. I would really enjoy a follow up story - I hope to heck she made it through the first winter, got a newer car and a job closer to home! But WOW, she has guts, I admire her for having the nerve to at the very least, try what she tried. I think 'hay barrel' is a typo or possibly the author of the article misunderstood someone when the said "hay bale", no one, and I mean no one I know refers to them as "hay barrels" and I've lived in ND my entire life and have "hay bales in our barn and fields............unless it's a regional term used in that part of the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota