Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times

Advertisements

I agree with the earlier posters....we have a lesbian couple who lives on my block. She works for the GF police Dept. No problems at all in our neighborhood. Treated with respect and their house is stopped by all the kids at halloween.

The folks I run into and my in-laws who are from here all are the type who dont butt into other people's lives. You are treated with respect unless you do something that shows you have no respect.

We also had a gay guy at my work and he wasnt from here. He is pretty openly gay, and no issues in GF. He was in his 20s.

Like anywhere else...the larger the city the more you will find others like yourself. I dont care who you are, if you move to a very small town, you will probably raise suspicion, just because you are new.

--Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 22,002 times
I grew up in ND. I think I saw just as much/little homophobia there as I do in Minneapolis (the gayest city, according to percentage). I agree that in ND, people are more private about their lives than in bigger cities. I think that a bigger city creates a false sense of anonymity, so people talk about sex lives (both gay and straight) more openly. The whole state of ND feels like a small town (seriously, when I meet people on the other side of the state, they always know my parents, or my college roommate, etc.) Because of that, most people are more private about everything.

Also, my impression is that bigger ND towns are so desperate to appear cosmopolitan that they will accept homosexuality...and the smaller ND towns are so off-the-map that they view homosexuality as an exotic bird.

ND residents, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going off my childhood/college memories.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite View Post
I grew up in ND. I think I saw just as much/little homophobia there as I do in Minneapolis (the gayest city, according to percentage). I agree that in ND, people are more private about their lives than in bigger cities. I think that a bigger city creates a false sense of anonymity, so people talk about sex lives (both gay and straight) more openly. The whole state of ND feels like a small town (seriously, when I meet people on the other side of the state, they always know my parents, or my college roommate, etc.) Because of that, most people are more private about everything.

Also, my impression is that bigger ND towns are so desperate to appear cosmopolitan that they will accept homosexuality...and the smaller ND towns are so off-the-map that they view homosexuality as an exotic bird.

ND residents, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going off my childhood/college memories.
What you said to me still holds true. I am not a native of the area....but my wife is and all the in-laws, etc. This is how I have seen it over the past 12 years I have been here. If you stand out or make waves or do something to get noticed, then no matter what sexual preference or race you are looked down upon. If you are a good respectful person, no one cares what you do in your private time.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
nemmert - seconded.

Q: Are gays welcomed in ND?
As: yes, we love gays here!

Yeah, yeah... all those guys in ND's towns who sit at tables in taverns and drink beer LOVE gays. Who's gonna believe that? Come to one of these pubs with your partner and start kissing... This is fake tolerance and fake information that you were given here.
As you well know, with too many cocktails or beers, anyone's sexual identity can take a tumble. If you go to a straight bar in ND, don't kiss your partner, but if you're there alone at closing time, need some company, make it known you're Gay as you're leaving the bar.

And don't be afraid, if you see a car following you home. Lots of closeted people go to straight bars, even if there's Gay bars in town. And, it just could be someone extremely curious, trapped in that city, never gets to the big city.

I'm Gay, I would have no reservations about moving anywhere in this country, even in the thick of the Appalachin or Ozark mountains. All you need to know is something about men in general.

And, remember, you could move next door to a Gay couple there, and? They may not be friendly to you at all, may snub you, maybe you're too old or young for them.

I lived next door to a Gay couple, and for whatever reason, could barely get a hello out of either of them. So glad they moved, good riddance. Now I have some wonderful, friendly straight people for neighbors!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM

512 posts, read 1,183,397 times
hey, I'm not gay!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Freud would disagree with you, claiming we were all born bisexual!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Freud was a mess. His followers make messes of the masses.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
I had to almost laugh (because I am not sure if the person was seriuos or not)...but a few days ago, they announced Elton John would be performing at the Bismarck Civic Center sometime this spring...all of the comments were positive except one from a lady who was shocked that people would support an artist who is openly gay and living a life that goes against God, etc.... , and she could not understand how the city of Bismarck would allow such a person of "immoral" values perform in a tax payer funded venu. Her post was almost laughable to the point I almost think she was joking...but I'm thinking she was not.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:39 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times
I think I saw the same comment, Roloff1976, and I couldn't tell whether the person was serious or satirical.

Last edited by AcaciaRose; 02-10-2011 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: to correct a word

Old 10-01-2016, 11:09 PM

5 posts, read 7,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Maybe my take is a bit different than others... or maybe ND has changed.

If I were you, I'd be very reluctant to move to ND. Some place like NY or San Fran, being mistaken for gay (i.e. you trying to pick up a straight male) isn't likely to get you punched in the face. Men in those areas tend to be a bit more metrosexual and may even see it as a bit of a compliment that they're found attractive. In an ultra conservative place like North Dakota, being mistaken for gay is a slight on one's manhood and likely to trip a very homophobic response, potentially violent (not lynching type violent, more black eye type violent).

Also, while it's true you probably won't have people picketing outside your house or men in white hoods trying to start you on fire... in ND I would expect you to be stared at and I can only imagine the amount of gossip. While it's true that they tend to let people live and therefore won't say things to your face, the amount that's said behind people's backs in a place like ND is tremendous. They absolutely LOVE to talk and gossip. Again, not a threat to your physical well being, but something to be aware of.

If you were moving to ND with a social network and a partner, I would say go for it. Without that, I think you'll find ND a VERY lonely place. Based on your desire to be in a metro area versus the middle of nowhere, I don't believe that's truly what you're seeking. As such, I'm not sure ND is right for you. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
I live in ND, and thats EXACTLY the way I would react if some dude tried to hit on me. Oh, by the way, Im a black man in ND and that has NEVER been an issue. I happen to be conservative like most of my friends out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota