Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 AM

33 posts, read 117,439 times

Advertisements

Hello forum
I'll be moving to Fargo at the end of this year... three more Qs to be answered:

*I was just wondering if the attached heated garage is a necessity or luxury in Fargo. of course it would cost more to rent an apartment like that.. so I thought better ask this question to the people who live there... is it really worth the money?

*If the apartment heat is paid or included in the rent, do they really provide good heating? Does it often happens that their heat is not good and you end up buying and using electric heaters on your own?

*Before moving I will be selling all my stuff. If I am not wrong the best way would be to post on craigslist with pictures and keep doing it untill everything is sold. Am I thinking on the right lines?

Thanks a lot ..... goooood day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer37 View Post
Hello forum
I'll be moving to Fargo at the end of this year... three more Qs to be answered:

*I was just wondering if the attached heated garage is a necessity or luxury in Fargo. of course it would cost more to rent an apartment like that.. so I thought better ask this question to the people who live there... is it really worth the money?

*If the apartment heat is paid or included in the rent, do they really provide good heating? Does it often happens that their heat is not good and you end up buying and using electric heaters on your own?

*Before moving I will be selling all my stuff. If I am not wrong the best way would be to post on craigslist with pictures and keep doing it untill everything is sold. Am I thinking on the right lines?

*Attached garage isn't necessary at all. I went for 10 years with no garage.

*There are generally more problems associated with keeping apartments too cold than letting them get warm. The apartments that I've seen with heat included typically have hot water heat. If you don't keep that warm enough, you wind up with freezing lines and wind up spending money, which is something that apartment owners typically don't like doing. So, in the dead of winter it's usually pretty decent. You can run into issues in the fall if they don't turn on the heat early enough in the year, but that's usually solved with a phone call.

*I don't know much about successfully doing much of anything on Craigslist.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Hello forum

As for the heated garage it is nice but not necessary. Depends on how much you want to spend...the nicer ones will have a garage often. Heated garage? not needed....but a garage itself is nice. But many many survive without one. Most apartment complexes up here in Grand Forks have outside outlets to plug your car in if you have a block heater, even the cheaper ones. Usually one plug in per apartment. Those do help for starting on a very cold morning.

I do know folks with heat included and have it myself. Usually it is electric baseboard heat and you can control areas of the apartment to heat or not that way. It is a good deal and I think keeps the place warm enough. Warm enough is a pretty subjective thing though and more so depends on the quality of the windows in the place. If you have a north facing apartment without sun....probably a portable heater is useful. We use two in my current newer ranch home.

Craiglist is one way.... I personally would have a garage/yard sale to get rid of the smaller less expensive stuff and then only sell the larger items. I personally would prefer using the classifieds in a local paper. You would likely get better results.....

Old 03-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks a lot... one more thing that most of the items in my apartment are old and are well depreciated so selling them wont hurt me... but two items(dining table with chairs and sectional sofa set with chaise and ottoman) are relatively new. they will be only one and a half years old at the end of this year. So is there anything could be done or just I should have my luck at the yard sale and see what happens.
I agree that craigslist will not be a good idea.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot... one more thing that most of the items in my apartment are old and are well depreciated so selling them wont hurt me... but two items(dining table with chairs and sectional sofa set with chaise and ottoman) are relatively new. they will be only one and a half years old at the end of this year. So is there anything could be done or just I should have my luck at the yard sale and see what happens.
I agree that craigslist will not be a good idea.
If I would you....I wouldnt sell items that new and in excellent condition at a garage type sale. People who come to those are bargain hunters. I would put an ad in the local paper where you live and go that route.

Now another option if that if you really like those two pieces of furniture check out UPS or other companies and see about sending it. At least get a quote. I wouldnt go a moving company route for such little stuff.

--Dan

Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks a lot dear friends... just one more Q ... I don't wana start any thread for this... Although my daughter is not even one year old I still want to know: Is there any discrimination in the schools based on color, culture. Do teachers talk about religion etc and throw it at the students? Is any particular religion, culture or nationality stereotyped in the schools?
Thanksssssss a lot dear friendsss

Old 03-06-2011, 02:08 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot dear friends... just one more Q ... I don't wana start any thread for this... Although my daughter is not even one year old I still want to know: Is there any discrimination in the schools based on color, culture. Do teachers talk about religion etc and throw it at the students? Is any particular religion, culture or nationality stereotyped in the schools?
Thanksssssss a lot dear friendsss
Not that I've heard of. Fargo may seem pretty white to people from other parts of the country, but it's probably the most mixed part of the state. Actually, there are a lot more people of various races now than when I first moved here 15 years ago. That's not to say that people can't be jerks, but there's an extremely low chance of finding some sort of institutionalized racism.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Not that I've heard of. Fargo may seem pretty white to people from other parts of the country, but it's probably the most mixed part of the state. Actually, there are a lot more people of various races now than when I first moved here 15 years ago. That's not to say that people can't be jerks, but there's an extremely low chance of finding some sort of institutionalized racism.
I agree Travis....I wouldnt worry about at all

Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,300 times
Quote:
Hello forum

When we first moved here we didn't have a garage. Now we have a 2 car garage, not heated, and I LOVE it. I would NEVER go back to not having a garage, but no, if you don't mind having snow and ice stuck to your car all winter (which can lasts MONTHS) and having to get out in freezing weather to scrape everything off, a garage is not necessary. But it's dang nice.

Our heat was atrocious. We had to leave it on 24/7 for it to even be 60 degrees in the house and our heating bill was $200 a month. They split it up for you so you basically just pay the same amount year round because you won't be using the heat in the summer (although in our new hours we never use our air condition, it's heat year round because it's always cold in our downstairs).

Craigslist is not as popular up here as in other places and big cities but I have used it to sell quite a few thing so it's not a bad idea. Also, facebook has a garage sale page that people use here a lot.

I don't live in Fargo, I live in Minot, but everything in ND is about the same, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota