Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
Yeah, certainly.But it's not bad for everybody.Youth has a future there now, they can stay near their parents instead far coasts or Texas.
Yes, there are definately good and bad sides to the situation. But I have to say I agree with you on this. Without this boom, Williston's latest census numbers would have probably been under 12,000 (by the way...I think the Williston's census is wayyyyyyy off...if you look at job service ND numbers for employed in Williston...it is the same as Dickinson's, but yet Dickinson is 17,000...I am guessing Williston is there as well...if not even a little bit higher when you figure in the mancamps)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
There is a pizza place that just opened up in Watford City that is charging $20 for a cheese pizza. 14" I think. You can't get near the place in the evenings due to all the trucks. Prices are higher in the boom areas but it's more like SF/Seattle metro pricing rather than NYC pricing. Housing is akin to NYC pricing. The obituary's do triple duty as the obituary/business opportunity/real estate sections of the local paper. Sad but true. I think the grocery prices are a dollar higher per item than Bismarck.

I know that a lot of people are shocked at having to pay people at the Sidney or Williston McD's $10 an hour to start and they call their hours but you can't get anyone interested otherwise. Prices aren't that much higher, about $1 per meal, as they make the majority back on volume. It will get worse this summer and into next winter as oil prices are expected to remain over $100/bbl.
Last night I had a supreme pizza with jalapeno's, onions and extra cheese added. It cost $6.99. Course I made it myself, at home. hahaha

Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Default Cooks Illustrated

Cooks Illustrated has had a number of new pizza recipes come out for home pizza that are pretty decent. There's skillet pizza, pizza margherita (requires a very thin crust), deep dish pizza, ect. A number of the recipes allow the dough to rise overnight in the fridge so provided they have a stove, a bowl and a fridge, there's no reason to pay $22. Skillet pizza (actually pretty decent but a bit oily for me) only requires a hot plate and the dough can be mixed by hand. It will run ~$3 for 2 personal size pizzas due to the beer in the dough.

Considering how much World food prices have gone up, I think Americans will be surprised at what food will cost when US prices eventually come back in line. I would like to think we could end our food subsidy (think payments to corn growers NOT food stamps) and fund Social Security instead but that only gets us out of a jam for 5 years.

The elderly situation in Williston is bad and I do feel for them. However, it's the same situation that has occured in Western Montana for a number of years only with property tax increases rather than rents. I guess my question would be why are they continuing to remain there with no outside sources of income? Once people are on Medicare, can they move to another state, like South Dakota, easily?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Actually, the only people not suffering from the housing shortage are the elderly. Several places that rent just to the elderly have advertised that they have vacancies and they just built another massive building for senior apartments. I think they're the only group that hasn't seen a sharp increase in rent, as long as they're willing to live in one of these communities.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM

also..the people who have owned their homes prior to the housing prices jumping up. My mom is retired and lives in Williston. Her home value has increased tremendously, but her taxes and upkeep are still pretty much the same...she lives comfortably in her house like she always has, and is watching the craziness zipping by up there. If she were to ever try down size and move into a condo or apartment, then she TOO would be in a bind. She would have lots of money by selling her house, but she would never be able to find an apartment that is priced reasonably...and to build a smaller house or condo, would cost as much as her current house would sell for. So, she has decided to just stay put. She is knows how lucky she is to have a house and own it straight out before this boom hit Williston.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
It sounds like your Mom has a decision to make. Should she sell now while the prices are high and relocate to an area with lower housing costs, or should she remain and take the risk of a future drop in real estate values?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Nope, she is content staying exactly where she is. Most of her kids and grand children live in Williston, as well as her 2 brothers and 2 sisters, as well as several nephews, neices, and her life long friends. She would never move to another area for fear of price drops. She built her house in the 80's when Williston had already busted, so she was able to build it at a low price back then. Money is not the issue for her. She is very content and just happy to be able to live in Williston and afford to live there.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times
Default good luck in grand forks

I live in Grand Forks. all the jobs here are low paying and crappy. if you have a college degree you are actually LESS likely to be hired somewhere. most of the companies prefer those without a degree. I have to jobs that I hate. I'm thinking about moving to Fargo. I think there are more opportunities there.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Actually, the only people not suffering from the housing shortage are the elderly. Several places that rent just to the elderly have advertised that they have vacancies and they just built another massive building for senior apartments. I think they're the only group that hasn't seen a sharp increase in rent, as long as they're willing to live in one of these communities.
Well, I'm glad that is not the case for some elders as you state, but my children's grandma lives in an apartment building complex whose name I will not name that is increasing rent every six months for everyone. It is not a complex for seniors in general, but there are quite a few that live there among general laborers, oil field workers, and professionals. She is having a tough time getting by not just because of the rent increase, but also because of inflation in general that has caused every day necesities to rise more and more. I should add that rent was quite doable for her before the oil boom and it is by no means a condo or higher end building complex.

Most businesses have had an increase for whatever reason such as gas, greed, or general cost of business...taxi services, grocery stores, plumbers, electricians, general contractors, etc. Pharmacies have increased prices as I noticed when I picked up a prescription for my daughter the other day.

Anyways, your right if they can live in a senior community that would be the best thing for the elders in this town. The children's grandma is applying to the new huge complex being built by the Hagen school so I hope she will be able to move from the ever increasing apartment that she is living in right now.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Broncogirl...yes, I hope your grandma can get into the complex. It is for 55 years or older, and the rental prices are set and determined for this age group. Williston needs MORE of this type of housing to assist the elderly, and those who make minimal wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota