Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeBelowZero View Post
The Natives are nice to your face while they try to run you off behind your back. Groceries are 5 times the price of any other state, you will always be an outsider to the clickish natives. The only thing kids learn in these backward schools is how to run a tractor.

It's COLD here, severe winters are the new norm and the entire state seems to be sinking into the ground due to enormous overland flooding. Your land might be high and dry, but the local farmers or the next town over might open their levies and flood you without warning!

In the Eastern part of North Dakota you must drive to Fargo to find a Walmart or McDonald's.

Good jobs will always be reserved for locals.

There is a reason that most of the state turned into Ghost Towns!
AVOID North Dakota!
I hate to say it, but most of your statements are completely false. Groceries are NOT 5 times the price of another state. I'm moving from the Chicago area and milk is between $3 and $4 per gallon here. I've bought milk several times at the Williston Walmart, and I can assure you it's not $15 to $20 per gallon.

The statement about flooding and opening levies is utterly ridiculous.

The last time I was in Williston, one of the trucking companies practically offered me a job on the spot since I hold a class A CDL. Salary between $50K - $90K per year to start depending on experience and hours worked. There is an extreme shortage of workers in the western part of the state and salaries of many jobs are approaching or over 6 figures. Most all of the jobs are not going to locals but to people moving from other parts of the country. The locals have already been employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
The Natives are nice to your face while they try to run you off behind your back. Groceries are 5 times the price of any other state, you will always be an outsider to the clickish natives. The only thing kids learn in these backward schools is how to run a tractor.

It's COLD here, severe winters are the new norm and the entire state seems to be sinking into the ground due to enormous overland flooding. Your land might be high and dry, but the local farmers or the next town over might open their levies and flood you without warning!

In the Eastern part of North Dakota you must drive to Fargo to find a Walmart or McDonald's.

AVOID North Dakota!
Boy....usually un-informed posts such as these are best left not responded too...but there actually may be folks not familiar enough to know the falsehoods of the above.

Yes it can be cold in the state, most understand that. Yes flooding is a concern especially in the red river valley and at times along some of the other river systems in the state, but that makes up maybe 10 percent max of the state.

While Fargo is the largest city in the state, there is Grand Forks, Jamestown and Devils Lake. And unless I was transplated somewhere else I have eaten at McDonalds and been in Walmart in each of the cities....not to mention way more than that.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM

137 posts, read 424,393 times
Lots of false information about ND in this thread I've lived all over the country and grocery prices here are similar to most states. Winters can be long and cold but it's really not as bad as alot of people make it out to be. ND is a quiet, peaceful, serene, and safe place to live with a very high quality of life and it's sad to see so much ignorance about this state. It's not the perfect place for everyone but for myself and many others it's heaven on earth. So to all the ignorant people, sod off then.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
I have several local friends, none of them are secretly plotting behind my back to get rid of me. LOL

I do comparison grocery shopping and often times my step mom will share deal with me that she's found at Albertson's since that is both in Utah and Williston. Some items are more expensive than other states, but for the most part groceries are about the same as other states.

Quote:
Flooding is normal, it's a wet state. Your statement about levies is ridiculous. Duh... of course it's cold.

Quote:
So Grand Forks doesn't have a WalMart or McDonalds? (Ummm, just a hint, they do.)

Quote:

AVOID North Dakota!
LOL the majority of employees in the western side of the state are not local. There are more jobs than there are people, meaning that many people come from out of state for work. You can see license plates from all over the place, and if you don't have a good job then that's your own fault as there's plenty to pick from.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
LOL..yes...LIFEBELOWZERO... must describe this posters life and personality. Obviously he/she has never even been to North Dakota. North Dakota schools are rated in the top for the country, so definately not "backward"... Wal-mart only exists in Fargo in Eastern ND???...I suppose since the poster knows nothing about North Dakota, he/she probably thinks Grand Forks, Devils Lake and Jamestown are in western ND. Pretty ridiculous post. I'm sure it was just to try get people fired up or something.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:

You say that as if it's a bad thing...

One sells junk, the other feeds you junk.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM

512 posts, read 1,183,684 times
I myself have been to Walmart maybe twice in my life even though there are couple of them around. You can buy there everything but everything is junk as Chris said. Anyway having one close at hand is often convenient. However it's better not to have McDonald's around because it lures and kills you and you pay for it.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 AM

18 posts, read 38,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You say that as if it's a bad thing...

One sells junk, the other feeds you junk.

Thats a good one I couldn't agree more!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:42 PM

99 posts, read 220,165 times
I don't mind North Dakota and it's cold winters, but take that with a grain of salt considering I am from Alaska.

The lack of scenery in the Eastern part of the state sucks, I can't speak for the whole state since I've never been west of Bismarck.

All in all, I would say that it's probably the best state economically. People are usually nice and polite. Other than that, I would say it's really just another farm state, but Yahoo News isn't run out of this state so how would they know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota