Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM

16 posts, read 85,364 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

My family and I are moving to Grand Forks within 6-8 weeks and are having a hard time locating rental homes in the area. I had originally planned on moving to Grand Forks but I am concerned with flooding, is it best to live outside of the city? Can someone please recommend some safe areas and direct me to where I can find rental listings (for homes not apartments).

Thanks in advance!

Warmly, Lara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Hi

I live in East Grand Forks and work in Grand Forks and have been in the area for the past 13 years.

In general rental single family homes are pretty hard to come by. There are more now than they used to be...but supply is pretty tight. Rental townhomes/duplexes are more common. For rentals of homes....I would check too places.....craiglist for grand forks and the elite property website. Elite is the main property management company in the area which manages rental property for single family homes. You can also check the GF Herald website as well in the classified section. But I caution that in general supply is quite limited as rental homes are not terribly common.

Elite Property Management, LLC - Properties for Lease in the Grand Forks Community and surrounding areas

You will have to search for Grand Forks..then residential-homes

Flooding is a non-issue....the flood control / levee system has been completed and protects the entire city to 60-62 ft. So dont worry about it.

There aren't really any bad areas of town....just newer and older sections. The older sections are not necessairly un-safe. The south end of town is typically newer, especially south of about 13th Ave S. The downtown area has the oldest housing stock (just south and north of downtown....generally east of Washington and north of 13th Ave S up to about Gateway Dr (US Hwy 2).

I will be more than happy to answer more questions....

Dan

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Dan,

Thank you so much for your response! I have to admit that I am really apprehensive about the housing situation but we will have to make the best of it. My husband will be flying out at the end of this month and spending three weeks in the area so I am trying to be positive that he will find something in that time frame.

I am relieved to hear that flooding is not a continued issue, thanks so much for your help. The only other question I can think of is whether or not midwifery is common in this area. I have seen none online or in the yellow pages online, I am just hoping that I missing something. To your knowledge are there midwives/birth centers within the area?

Warmly, Lara

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Hi Lara

This time of the year is a pretty slow one for openings with the holidays and the winter season seeing few moves in or out of the region. How stuck are you on finding a rental single family house? There is a complex of townhomes for rent which are nice and in a good location. Times Square Townhomes are the name and are 4 units to a whole building....side by side. They have a double garage on the bottom and then one or two levels above them...so no one above or below you just to one side. Otherwise the area has built lots of apartments in the past 7 years....although I know you mentioned you werent interested in apartments. That angle might possibly have to be considered.

The Times Square place is located on 36th Ave S just west off Columbia Rd and very near the Super Target, Kohls, SuperWalmart, and all the restaurants and shopping on 32nd Ave S. 32nd Ave S is the main shopping area in town (at least for national chain retailers).

Otherwise...most rental properties are managed by property management companies in town. Majority only do apartments, but I know Elite does homes as well. I would strongly advise to contact Elite to see how the rental home situation is in town. Their website may not have all the ones avaiable. Plus too they may steer you in another direction to check out that is not available on the web.

Here is a list of most property management companies in town. These are mostly apartments, but you might want to contact them to see about home rentals.

property management companies grand forks - Google Search

I have seen a few pop up on craiglist....

In fact I saw this ad today....
A 4 BR house in a nice circle in GF (http://grandforks.craigslist.org/apa/2103589603.html - broken link)

The overall selection for rental homes is not large so not able to be too picky.

So in final...my advice....contact as many places to see what is there as the web doest have them all.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara916 View Post
Dan,

Thank you so much for your response! I have to admit that I am really apprehensive about the housing situation but we will have to make the best of it. My husband will be flying out at the end of this month and spending three weeks in the area so I am trying to be positive that he will find something in that time frame.

I am relieved to hear that flooding is not a continued issue, thanks so much for your help. The only other question I can think of is whether or not midwifery is common in this area. I have seen none online or in the yellow pages online, I am just hoping that I missing something. To your knowledge are there midwives/birth centers within the area?

Warmly, Lara
You asked at midwives.....I am afraid I dont know. We have 3 young kids....but used the standard doctor/nurse route at Altru Hospital. I dont know anything about midwives..... my advice is to contact Altru Hospital, the birthing center, and see. You can search and easily find the number.
UND has a med school too....and a women's health center. So should be something there.

Oh....if interested here is the Times Square info via Hampton Prop Management website...

Hampton management

Here is another listing from Elite that was on craiglist...

4 Bedroom House in great neighborhood available Dec 18th (http://grandforks.craigslist.org/apa/2101991858.html - broken link)

good luck!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 PM

One more thing....I dont where you're from or lived before....but if your husband hasnt been in cold weather country before...be sure he brings along a good winter coat. Likely to be some well below zero days when he is here.

--Dan

Old 12-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks again for all of the info, and I will let him know. We are moving from Washington State so we haven't experienced weather like this before...it'll be an adventure for sure! As far as housing, I couldn't imagine living with two kids under 8 and a new baby in an apartment, but a townhouse might be doable.
This rental situation is certainly daunting but we will somehow make it work out!

Thanks again

Warmly, Lara

Old 12-11-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for all of the info, and I will let him know. We are moving from Washington State so we haven't experienced weather like this before...it'll be an adventure for sure! As far as housing, I couldn't imagine living with two kids under 8 and a new baby in an apartment, but a townhouse might be doable.
This rental situation is certainly daunting but we will somehow make it work out!

Thanks again

Warmly, Lara
I hear ya....I have a 5 yr old and almost 2 year old twins....all boys. apartment no....

--dan

Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Quote:

Thanks again

Warmly, Lara
Lara,

Being new to a winter like Grand Forks', a heated garage is probably a priority, with a garage with street (not alley) access being a second priority. Parking a car on the street - and making sure it starts during cold weather and ensuring it is moved as required for snow plows is never fun.

The schools are almost universally first-rate in GF, so that should not be a concern. As Dan mentioned, neither is flooding (if you were moving to Fargo that might be a concern).

Best wishes on your move!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks so much, things are starting to come together for us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota