Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 PM

81 posts, read 202,729 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM

Default are oil jobs stil plentiful?

Is the boom starting to die down over there or no?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
Nope...still going bang buster! NW North Dakota especially from Dickinson to Williston and over to Stanley...connect the dots and you will see the big Triangle area that is still booming...they say there will be another 20 years of drilling. Not expecting anything to slow down. Lots of jobs...just no housing.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:08 PM

203 posts, read 602,507 times
Default Yep

agree w/Roloff. I have friends with EOG in Houston, and he says they'll be here 30 years. I've invested in several oil/gas companies, and all my research says same.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
Was at a lunch today with Lt. Gov. Wrigley. Said there are 10,000 unfilled and open jobs in North Dakota.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Default Where do I go

Im coming to williston in september, I have family there so housing is covered. Where would I go to find the oil jobs, is jobservice nd office the only place? or should I walk up to the oil rigs and ask for jobs.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,127 times
I'm not familiar with oil jobs in particular but the jobs nd office would be the best bet for those jobs. Also, the city hall for Williston might have some job listings, as well as indeed.com, simplyhired.com, and check the local newspaper. If you are very serious, calling some oil rig companies might be good to show initiative. You could go up to the companies but you always take the chance that someone might not be there that you would want to talk to.

I find that calling companies, showing interest, calling back a day or so later if no one contacts you, and then going to drop off a resume usually works. You don't want to be annoying but things happen and they can misplace your phone number or whatnot. Plus, if you have called and then you stop by they can put your face to your name and are more likely to remember you.

It just depends on what you are comfortable doing! Good luck in your job search.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 PM

How much do they pay entry level

Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
As for what to do, the job service site works decent. That being said, here walking in is KEY. They get a TON of phone calls and a lot of them are from people that aren't local. My husband recently switched companies and when he was in the process for applying for this other job they gave him the run around until he went in there and said "I'm local and I've got housing". After that they rushed to get him hired on. Sure, sometimes the person you're looking for isn't going to be there, but by showing up they know that you are actually here. Before that point you are really just like the hundreds of others that call each week asking about employment but that don't live in the area and have no real way of getting here/securing housing.

As for pay, it entirely depends on the position you're going for or want. Some don't pay that great (Tuboscope is notorious for crappy pay, they're at around $12/hr for pipe inspection), but there are those that start off quite a bit higher than that. Always ask about the overtime they're willing to offer, if it's not an average of at least 60 hours a week you can find a job that does offer that. Also, if it doesn't offer a minimum of I'd say $14-$15 I'd move on. There are some jobs that do pay $20/hr or more, and with your background in construction you may stand a chance at those jobs. The biggest thing, I think, is going to be your job history.

Also, check out the shopper, The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 AM

I see, im coming there on september 23. Are the jobs still solid during the winter time? And im pretty sure someone will hire me with my felony because its non violent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota