Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

Hello people of north dakota!..my family and i are thinking of moving to fessenden nd.we are a family of four.we are relocating from california.i got a job offer in fessenden!i would like to get some feed back about this little town.i have heard a lot of bad remarks about this town,but not so much good ones.we are hispanic but do speak both languages english /spanish.i would like to know if hispanics are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 03:35 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTANO84 View Post
Hello people of north dakota!..my family and i are thinking of moving to fessenden nd.we are a family of four.we are relocating from california.i got a job offer in fessenden!i would like to get some feed back about this little town.i have heard a lot of bad remarks about this town,but not so much good ones.we are hispanic but do speak both languages english /spanish.i would like to know if hispanics are welcome.
I doubt anyone would treat you poorly, at least not any different then any other outsiders. Keep in mind that you would be joining to three other Hispanics that claim to live in Fessenden(according to City-Data). Not a very big town, nor is the entire region very populated. The thing I would caution you on, and this is a big point. If you are from California and you've never lived up north then you will likely be in for a shock of your life. It gets cold there, and I do mean bitter could. Like minus 40 type of cold. Plus it is a rural area, so you need to be prepared to handle this environment or it can literally kill you. If you were coming from Michigan or Illinois this might not be as much of a shock, but if a cold day is 50 degrees to you then this will be a nightmare world.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:28 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Fessenden and that whole area (Harvey, Carrington, New Rockford) is small town North Dakota. You have mom and pop shops, and in some ways these towns can be a bit harder to get a foot in the door for newcomers. But if you come into a town like that and willing to accept their way of life and to know that by shopping it means travelling 1-2 hours to a larger city, then it is enjoyable. I personally have found through my travels in that part of the state, the folks just like most North Dakotans to be pleasant and friendly, but most people here are reserved somewhat and will not jump down the door to say hello or welcome you. You need to take the first step. I dont think the race will have any issue....you may get looks if you speak spanish in public, but that is to be expected and you got to understand that.

Housing in the small towns can be tough to come by, as there is likely no one there putting up new housing, etc and with many of the small towns losing population gradually in the last few decades due to old folks dying and the young leaving for work in the cities, then will have choices for older homes. But prices in the small towns can be really cheap, esp compared to the larger cities such as Bismarck, Grand Forks, and Fargo.

In summary...it is a small town nothing more nothing less. Expect some gossip, friendly folks, but by nature you will be looked at a bit suspicously I think until they realize you are there to stay.

That is my thoughts at least on small town ND. This may be correct or incorrect so get other opinions.

Dan

Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 PM

84 posts, read 266,015 times
My mom, aunt, and my brother, sister, and cousins moved to New Rockford and Carrington. It was a shock to their system about the winter but now they have gotten used to it. They love the small town feeling and have made friends. Our family is like a united nations group, we have married Peruvians, Syrians, Indians, African Americans, and Mexicans. Most of the time we don't have any discrimination said to us and we feel very comfortable in town. We moved from Florida and California so like I said the winters were a shock, but you get used to it.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:00 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseville lover View Post
My mom, aunt, and my brother, sister, and cousins moved to New Rockford and Carrington. It was a shock to their system about the winter but now they have gotten used to it. They love the small town feeling and have made friends. Our family is like a united nations group, we have married Peruvians, Syrians, Indians, African Americans, and Mexicans. Most of the time we don't have any discrimination said to us and we feel very comfortable in town. We moved from Florida and California so like I said the winters were a shock, but you get used to it.
Thanks for writing in...glad to hear your family experiences in the those small towns. I driven through the area a lot but rarely stop by too much.

Yes the winters would be a shock....as that area is pretty open and subject to lots of whiteouts.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
The best thing you can do if you move there is to go and introduce your self to everyone you meet, tell them your life story and get all the suspicions out of the way.

Then volunteer for the Sr. Center, or other organization.

You will then be welcomed with open arms.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,564 times
-i want to thank everyone that took their time to comment on my post..thanks for the advises..we will be arriving by may of next year..are the schools close by?

Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
The best thing you can do if you move there is to go and introduce your self to everyone you meet, tell them your life story and get all the suspicions out of the way.

Then volunteer for the Sr. Center, or other organization.

You will then be welcomed with open arms.
I agree with most of the posts here. NoDak is different, but very tolerant about people here. Very conservative, as I am. ND welcomes new people to the state, but don't try and change the North Dakota culture. That would be a mistake. NoDak is still a very friendly state. But, I would say, don't mess with the North Dakota friendliness.. Nobody likes to be pushed too far..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota