Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 PM

454 posts, read 940,259 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with the locals? Where should I start? It's not the people coming here to work and better themselves that most of the locals have an issue with, it's ifrastructure that was never meant to handle this much truck traffic, it's third generation North Dakotans being forced to leave their hometowns because they can't compete with the oil field wages and keep their apartments, it's being paid $8.00 to do the same job you did last year with half the staff of last year because everyone who is capable of working in the oil field has left and your employer is to greedy to up your wages, so you work harder and can't afford your rent anymore, just to name a few. Most of the people who were living in North Dakota BEFORE this latest boom, STAYED here for a few reasons:

1. Low crime rate
2. Their families were here
3. The cost of living was fairly low
4. The low population/low density of people
5. Good schools
6. Traffic was never an issue

I don't know anyone that has stayed in North Dakota because the weather was great, especially in the winter. Actually, weather has been one of the main reasons people seek to relocate from here. Now, with so many of the things on the list of why people who have been here for generations are changing, many of these same people don't see too many reasons to stay. I won't even start on the rudeness of some of the drivers that we now experience on the highways and biways - big trucks with drivers with an attitude - scary stuff. My husband is a truck driver, he's been a trucker for almost 40 years now. Never did I hear him utter a word of complaint about another truck driver until this past 6 months. If he has to head out to the western part of the state, it's not going to be a good day.

The main thing that is wrong with the locals is this: Their quality of life is going straight down the toilet - and there isn't a dang thing they can do about it, other than leave the places and the state they have loved, long before the latest boom came.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM

287 posts, read 688,687 times
if i was a local there , i would find a way to see the positive side of things: i would set up my backyard to accommodate a couple of RV's , rent my basement and possibly , rent spots to set up tents , im sure i would make a lot of money without moving a finger.

But each person , each family is different. I can understand their anger. My 2 cents.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 PM

443 posts, read 806,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
What's wrong with the locals? Where should I start? It's not the people coming here to work and better themselves that most of the locals have an issue with, it's ifrastructure that was never meant to handle this much truck traffic, it's third generation North Dakotans being forced to leave their hometowns because they can't compete with the oil field wages and keep their apartments, it's being paid $8.00 to do the same job you did last year with half the staff of last year because everyone who is capable of working in the oil field has left and your employer is to greedy to up your wages, so you work harder and can't afford your rent anymore, just to name a few. Most of the people who were living in North Dakota BEFORE this latest boom, STAYED here for a few reasons:

1. Low crime rate
2. Their families were here
3. The cost of living was fairly low
4. The low population/low density of people
5. Good schools
6. Traffic was never an issue

I don't know anyone that has stayed in North Dakota because the weather was great, especially in the winter. Actually, weather has been one of the main reasons people seek to relocate from here. Now, with so many of the things on the list of why people who have been here for generations are changing, many of these same people don't see too many reasons to stay. I won't even start on the rudeness of some of the drivers that we now experience on the highways and biways - big trucks with drivers with an attitude - scary stuff. My husband is a truck driver, he's been a trucker for almost 40 years now. Never did I hear him utter a word of complaint about another truck driver until this past 6 months. If he has to head out to the western part of the state, it's not going to be a good day.

The main thing that is wrong with the locals is this: Their quality of life is going straight down the toilet - and there isn't a dang thing they can do about it, other than leave the places and the state they have loved, long before the latest boom came.
Q. What is wrong with the locals?
a. They are North Dakotans
b. They are Norwegian
c. They are angry
e. All of the above

History of North Dakota:
First came explorers, next came fur traders, next came missionaries, next came soldiers, next came buffalo hunters, next came farmers, next came oil men, then everyone left for awhile. Then the oil men came back. They say it will be permanent this time.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
If I was a local I would find a way to retroactivly strip thoes mineral rights and tax the crap out of them so that way they can see some benifit from the resource. Land owner mineral rights is a passive income that bennifits the land owner without them lifting a finger and hugely negitivly impacts the rest of the community. Most states land owners dont have mineral rights so why should north dakota be any different.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Q. What is wrong with the locals?
a. They are North Dakotans
b. They are Norwegian
c. They are angry
e. All of the above

History of North Dakota:
First came explorers, next came fur traders, next came missionaries, next came soldiers, next came buffalo hunters, next came farmers, next came oil men, then everyone left for awhile. Then the oil men came back. They say it will be permanent this time.
Sounds like you have the old chip on the shoulder!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Just sitting back and watching the show

Last edited by Count David; 11-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: fixed quoting

Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
If I was a local I would find a way to retroactivly strip thoes mineral rights and tax the crap out of them so that way they can see some benifit from the resource. Land owner mineral rights is a passive income that bennifits the land owner without them lifting a finger and hugely negitivly impacts the rest of the community. Most states land owners dont have mineral rights so why should north dakota be any different.

Whoops read that wrong at first. There are a lot of land owners in ND that don't own the minerals and they only get top soil reimbursement when a rig drills.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM

[quote=ursa22;21660984]
Quote:
Sounds like you have the old chip on the shoulder![/quot
Just sitting back and watching the show
Ya no kidding, guess I am too

Old 11-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
What is wrong with the locals?
a. they are North Dakotans
b. they are Norwegian
c. they are angry
d. they have a chip on their shoulder
e. all of the above

Old 11-10-2011, 02:16 PM

287 posts, read 688,687 times
Lol. Ursa are you a local? If so what's your position on this boomtown thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota