Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM

443 posts, read 805,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxTeller View Post
Lol. Ursa are you a local? If so what's your position on this boomtown thing?
Read the second part of post #73 in this thread. That is my position. I am local.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:09 PM

249 posts, read 645,085 times
Another ?possible? backlash... that happened in Florida... The big money people from "up North" starting building huge waterfront homes on the coasts and drove real estate prices through the roof which, resulted in doubling and tripling the property taxes of the locals, esp. old fishing villages and fishermen... the property taxes, literally, drove people out of their homes... the State had to pass a "homestead" law wherein property taxes on "homesteaded property" could not be raised more than 3% per year...

Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,222,599 times
Here's my opinion.....preface...I've never been to ND, I did move to a very small town from a big city years before I ever found City Data(which I love, because I LOVE reading about places and people!) Here goes! Is it possible that you have expressed your opinions about 'locals' in front of your kids? After all...the title of your thread is"What is wrong w/ the locals?" IMO...there is NOTHING wrong w/ the locals...your kids have picked up your negative opinions and it adds fuel to the 'fire' You are unhappy, they are unhappy....hence....it's not the place for your family.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:47 PM

125 posts, read 645,163 times
My youngest is happy out here. My oldest wants to go home to her friends and family she has known for the past 12 years. Me I just want to stop hearing how we have ruined north dakota. If you want us to leave fine but play nice. Things will not go back to the old way of life. I you only knew what the rest of the country was going through you would try to see the positives. I would gladly put up with what is going on here if that meant I wasn't going to starve and be homeless. Its bad outside the oil bubble but you try to tell the ones that hate us outsiders and they would tell you that north Dakota would be fine with out the oil. Well no north Dakota would go right down the crapper with the rest of the nation.

This has been a big change for all. I just watched my state basically die and my family have to leave everything behind to move to an area where you are hated cuz the man of the house works for an oil company. The whole nation is going through tough changes right now so sorry if North Dakota is going through changes too. I have never said the mean and hurtful things to any locals that have been said to the "outsiders".

Here's a question: How long do you have to live here to be considered a local? many of the angry ones I have ran into have lived in this area for less than 10 years. Maybe its mainly women "locals", I am a female too. The "local" guys my husband works with tell him they don't like the oil going on but they like him.

My family is part of this community and it doesn't matter how long I have lived out here. We are good people and if the angry "locals" want to group my family into the group of druggie, pedophile trash then I guess the issue lies with that person saying that and not me. I still shop in the stores and take my family to the community events. I am in bed by 10pm every night so I can work and take my kids to school, we are not trash. The 20 year old meth head with no teeth and looks like they are 40 years old, now that is trash but they are better than me cuz they grew up in this town? get real.

This is a new way of life for everyone out here not just the locals. We can either try to get along and take this as a learning opportunity or we can continue to feud and make life crappy, either way I don't see either side backing down. My 8 year old has become all to aware of nationality of others now. She comes home and tells us about her " lorwegian" friends and how a Mexican is now in her class. Where I come from was a very diverse place, basically every race imaginable was around in vast numbers. I just tell her its nice to learn about others heritage but don't be mean cuz of it cuz we are all in this together and learning the north Dakotan way of life.

Guess we should all just try to get along instead of lumping everyone into groups by where you are from. We are all in this together whether we like it or not.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:15 PM

419 posts, read 1,395,685 times
North Dakota has been a very insular place. Almost no part of it is ready for the changes that have already occurred, let along the ones coming in the future.

You asked, "how long do you have to live here to be considered a local?"
In my experience--in Fargo, not in the booming oil fields--more than 22 years. I've posted it before on these boards, my experience is not unusual. I ran into a retired hospital administrator who joked that he's moved to Fargo 42 years ago and that in 8 years he figures that the locals might just allow him to say that he's "from Fargo" rather than just "living in Fargo currently."

Many folks in Fargo complain that they can no longer leave their cars unlocked or leave their houses & garages unlocked. Uh duhhh . . .

My best advice would be to find others who are going through the same experience that you are. Not so much to just complain about locals or commiserate on the change in situation but as a point of bonding or common understanding.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:34 PM

287 posts, read 688,546 times
Im from a country called ILLINOIS... uh ... I mean state, not country, state.

Lets be all nice to each other. We are in the same boat here. And Im sure that if it wasnt for the Bakken, many North Dakotans would move to a different state looking for a better job .

Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 PM

84 posts, read 186,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
North Dakota has been a very insular place. Almost no part of it is ready for the changes that have already occurred, let along the ones coming in the future.

You asked, "how long do you have to live here to be considered a local?"
In my experience--in Fargo, not in the booming oil fields--more than 22 years. I've posted it before on these boards, my experience is not unusual. I ran into a retired hospital administrator who joked that he's moved to Fargo 42 years ago and that in 8 years he figures that the locals might just allow him to say that he's "from Fargo" rather than just "living in Fargo currently."

Many folks in Fargo complain that they can no longer leave their cars unlocked or leave their houses & garages unlocked. Uh duhhh . . .

My best advice would be to find others who are going through the same experience that you are. Not so much to just complain about locals or commiserate on the change in situation but as a point of bonding or common understanding.
I have several business contacts in Fargo and have the greatest time ever when we go there. No it doesn't have beach front nor does it have mountains but the people I interact with both professionally and on a friendship basis are alot of fun. But my outlook may be different than yours as I'm "UP" for whatever is available and make the most of it.

My wife is Filipino and our stays there are great as well. Of course I stand out like a sore thumb but my smilingface receives smiles back 99% of the time the first time and the other 1% come around rather quickly and we all have a good time.

It's my guess a person can put out a bad vibe and that gets picked up on same as a good vibe.

I'm not saying it's all your fault but there is usually an uneven ratio of effort required on your part when you move to a new place in making friends and finding your "Place" in the community. If you have had "Words" with someone it may take an apology to get onto the right foot sort of speak. In the long run if you're gonna be there a while it will be well worth it. Even in the short run, you'll see.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:46 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
What is wrong with the locals?
a. they are North Dakotans
b. they are Norwegian
c. they are angry
d. they have a chip on their shoulder
e. all of the above

Haha, well now that is funny right dere!!!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:31 AM

581 posts, read 2,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Haha, well now that is funny right dere!!!
The majority of North Dakotans are kind and generous people. Most say this is the most hospitable place they have every been. Now I'm not saying that we don't have our residents that do have a chip on their should about the oilfield but most of us treat people as we want to be treated. To say the majority are angry is false. The majority of ND residents on this side of the state work in the oilpatch but get sick of the "this is how we do it in .......(add other state here). I have been told "that's not how we do it in CO". It's really hard to not say....this is not CO, this is ND but I just shut my mouth. If everyone would do that we'd all get along.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,193,866 times
Default been there, I was oil field trash in the 80's

to Trickey280...I am so sorry to hear some of the stories regarding children being hurt by name calling by other local school children. I moved to Dickinson during the early 80's oil boom, and had the same experience w/ a particular neighbor. I joined activities that my children were involved in, boy scouts, girl scouts, jaycee women, went to church regularly. It all helped. I eventually met several locals, parents of children in school w/ my own. I found out that these particular folks were that way to everyone, which made me feel a bit better. One suggestion, since there seems to be so many newbies, start a social network, get together for family nights, pizza, do something wholesome as groups. Maybe have a food drive, start collecting coats for kids, anything that gives you an opportunity to make a differance. There are many ppl in that area that live marginally, they may have a home, animals, crops, but no cash. Try not to take this crap personally, protect your kids, go to the school and volunteer to make this a teachable moment. Church and volunteering can be a wonderful support for you. It will take time, you will have to prove yourself overtime, if you want to. On the other hand, maybe you don't want to be friends w/ such small minded ppl. Best to you.

Last edited by JanND; 11-13-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota