Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,905,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Yes it is to the eastern side of our state. People from Fargo/Grand Forks think ND starts in Bismarck and ends in Minneapolis. East siders generally don't have a clue about the oil in ND. (no offense to the easterners on this site...they are very informed on the topic)
I really have a hard time believing this. Certainly they're aware of why the state's unemployment rate is 3.something percent? Certainly they're aware that they have to compete with the western half of the state for labor? This oil boom is national news, how can people in the eastern half of the state not be generally aware of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:00 PM

581 posts, read 2,212,926 times
That National news has just came out in the last few weeks. I live in Williston and travel to the eastern part of the state regularly. So believe it. They don't have a clue what goes on over here. Some probably do now but prior to that most did not. Why would people in Fargo care what's going on in Williston?? Fargo also has a good economy. Same as Bismarck.

There isn't that much of a competition for labor for east vs west nd. The entire state has a good economy. Not many from the east will move to the west #1 due to housing and #2 they already have good jobs.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,975,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
That National news has just came out in the last few weeks. I live in Williston and travel to the eastern part of the state regularly. So believe it. They don't have a clue what goes on over here. Some probably do now but prior to that most did not. Why would people in Fargo care what's going on in Williston?? Fargo also has a good economy. Same as Bismarck.

There isn't that much of a competition for labor for east vs west nd. The entire state has a good economy. Not many from the east will move to the west #1 due to housing and #2 they already have good jobs.
I agree.....I live in the valley and you dont hear too much of anyone heading west for jobs in mass numbers. If this american crystal lockout continues much longer....that may change.... but right now there is pretty good supply of jobs in the east as well.

--Dan

Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 PM

394 posts, read 1,166,774 times
I live in Jamestown. I recently traveled to Minot, Tioga, and Williston for the first time since I was a kid.

I took this trip as a prelude to doing business out there. While I had heard about the boom, and read all the statistics (I am a news junky). I have to say it was a real eye opener.

And yes we have a great economy in the Eastern part of the state, and the job market is very tight here (short on employees). Just do to the economy, but in part due to the oil patch.

I know of one company from here building homes out in Minot, and a lot of the contractors come from Jamestown to do the work. So in return we don't have available contractors to do our work.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,477,613 times
What about Construction trades in Williston and other towns do you have to have a journeyman license to do Electrical and Pumbing work? I have 15 years of electrical experience in residential.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM

394 posts, read 1,166,774 times
John,
There is HUGE demand for electricians. But where you going to live?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,477,613 times
What about a Motorhome or 5th wheel camper? I will of course wait till spring to come anyway. I have a friend now that works by the airport in Williston running a back-hoe. He says he has a hour drive from home to where he works. He said there is homes near or in Williston that getting believe it or not 6500.00 a month for rent. Is this true?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,155,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
What about a Motorhome or 5th wheel camper? I will of course wait till spring to come anyway. I have a friend now that works by the airport in Williston running a back-hoe. He says he has a hour drive from home to where he works. He said there is homes near or in Williston that getting believe it or not 6500.00 a month for rent. Is this true?
Maybe $6500 is with several guys living in the house. An oil company might pay that and put 3 or 4 guys in there (1 per bedroom or worse). A single person or family would have to be making well beyond $100k per year to even remotely make that a wise financial decision.

The most I heard of was $4000 per month - that's still crazy. It will be interesting to see what next spring brings.

I actually had a real estate agent suggest to me to rent my mobile home out to 3 people with one person per bedroom. He says I could easily make $1200 per person, but that the trailer would be trashed in a year. Ahh, no thanks where am I supposed to live. I guess I could stay at my place in the Chicago suburbs and live on the rent I collect.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:50 AM

54 posts, read 114,340 times
Just had the mayor of williston on fox news he said everyone come to n,d, we got jobs

Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 PM

249 posts, read 644,406 times
Call, call and call some more... set something up before you come... with electrical it should be easier..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota