Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,816 times

Advertisements

Wha.t are the hospitals like in Grand Forks? I heard they were building a new one. What are their reputations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkP3 View Post
Wha.t are the hospitals like in Grand Forks? I heard they were building a new one. What are their reputations?
The main one is Altru...it is a non profit hospital and has associated number of clinics in the region of northeast ND and northwest MN. They are building a new clinic on the south end of town. Altru like any hospital, as it share of issues in customer care....but overall it is good. They are expanding and always looking it seems for nurses, and other health care workers.

A few years ago, a group of doctors split off from Altru to form a for-profit clinic area (Aurora Medical Park). They did build a small hospital on the south side but it never opened due to money issues and problems with blue cross/blue shield I believe. They announced a few months ago, another doctors group based in Indiana will move in and open up the hospital, which is expected to be full care...just on a smaller scale. The issue is this is a for profit place, and they may not take those without insurance versus Altru does.

Altru is a huge employer in Grand Forks, second to UND, and will always be a force in the community. It wouldnt surprise me at some point they try to build a new Altru hospital, but the one now is fine and adjacent to the main clinic off of Columbia Rd, just south of Demers. I know many folks who work there....my wife is a mental health therapist and our neighbor is a nurse and we have many other nurse friends and doctor friends as well.

I have lived in the GF/EGF area since 1998.

Altru has now partnered up with the now being built city rec center and will be a part of that in the sports medicine realm.

Sanford Health care, which moved into Fargo last year after buying out Merit Care, has a clinic in East Grand Forks, but no hospital other than in Fargo.

Altru just announced a partnership with Mayo Clinic in Rochester as well.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,816 times
Thanks. I just always worry about one hospital towns but it sounds like you have a lot of choices. What is the ER like at Altru? My kids seem to keep me a regular customer

Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkP3 View Post
Thanks. I just always worry about one hospital towns but it sounds like you have a lot of choices. What is the ER like at Altru? My kids seem to keep me a regular customer
We have 3 kids....6 and 2 1/2 yr old twins. Fortunately havent been there that much....knock on wood. But we have been a few times to urgent or after hours care....which is in the ER wing. We found the care satisfactory...some nurses are great....others so-so in terms of talkability. Only problem we have had was with one of the travelling doctors...or those from outside of the state who travel around to different places maybe filling positions or filling in for vacation. His care was fine....but a little rough around the edges.

Aurora medical park does have an urgent care too....though dont think it is 24/7 like Altru's. Sanford in EGF is just a clinic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota