Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey831831 View Post
Actually truck drivers can get as much if not more hours in the oil field since DOT rules are relaxed when your in this venue. Staying "On-
Site" running with a fraq crew or working on a rig floor can be good too. There are many different types of dynamics involved. Having worked as a fllor hand many years ago and since then being a truck driver I can tell you the driving job is much less physical but every bit as demanding mentally. Both have long hours attached and expectations involved. Since I'm nearly 50 now I would opt for the driving job. Better yet I would love to get in with a MUD company doing anaylsis and engineering problem solving. Work smarter not harder! Especially at my age. hahaha
I find it hard to believe truck driving rules are relaxed in the oil field. Smokey, perhaps they were when you worked in the oil fields many years ago. If anything, I would think the DOT would tighten things up a bit in light of the incident a few weeks ago where a trucker hit and ran through someone's camper. Fortunately no one was injured.

Jasper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 PM

84 posts, read 186,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Let's not get into DOT rules again on this board. The rules are really not relaxed for actual truckdrivers. Frac crews are really not truckdrivers. Working on a rig floor is for floorhands not truckdrivers.
I didn't mean to upset anyone but the normal DOT rules for drivers in the oil patch Are relaxed over drivers operating on and in normal OTR and regional driving jobs. Specific to Hours of Service, On Duty Not Driving and On Duty Driving. And yes the rules are less strict with regards to oli patch workers. Sorry to hear about the camper. Glad to hear no one was hurt.

I know all about Drivers (Equipment Operators) whatever since I was one for several years with a company called NOWSO Well Service that BJ Hughs bought out back a few years ago. As for the last 20 years I have been involved in Hazardous Material Transportation, Warehousing and Disposal. Mainly tanker operation. Alot of accident cleanup and spill cleanup at industrial sites.

No it isn't really a driving job so much as driving is incidental to the real job of operating the equipment on the rig site, eg; cementing, acid, sand fraq, etc etc.

Last edited by smokey831831; 11-10-2011 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: additional statement

Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
kychlo, you seem to know a lot of oilfield stuff, but I never see here if you work in oilfield, do you?
Yes I do work in the ND oilpatch.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey831831 View Post
I didn't mean to upset anyone but the normal DOT rules for drivers in the oil patch Are relaxed over drivers operating on and in normal OTR and regional driving jobs. Specific to Hours of Service, On Duty Not Driving and On Duty Driving.

I know all about Drivers (Equipment Operators) whatever since I was one for several years with a company called NOWSO Well Service that BJ Hughs bought out back a few years ago.

No it isn't really a driving job so much as driving is incidental to the real job of operating the equipment on the rig site, eg; cementing, acid, sand fraq, etc etc.
No worries here. Lisa and I had a "conversation" on this site a few weeks ago regarding DOT regs and I'm sure everyone couldn't wait until I shut up. Sounds like you know your regs and I now know what you meant by relaxed.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:14 PM

You meant 24 hour restart instead of 34, waiting time on location, etc. Not that the DOT was "easy" on the oilfield guys. 10-4

Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM

Hahahaha Amen! I'm not mentioning any more about regs.....

Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 PM

I got a call from a recruiter yesterday after filling out BJ Hughs online app. She wasn't with BJ but had some offers for Williston working on a Coil Crew. 28/14 rotation. I'm only interested in 14/14 and she said she would look into it. Also my CDL w/Hazardous Endorsement was a huge benefit for options according to her. I'm not trying to be picky but I will go only if I can get housing, 14/14 w/meals, flights and a minimum $$ guarantee. Sound a little stuffy but I have tons of experience and not so itchy to get my toes cold unless it pays. Got plenty to do right here in Kansas. I wish everyone looking the best of luck in your searches. ;-))

Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 PM

249 posts, read 645,329 times
seems for most crews...CDL is the ticket... Taking the test for my permit on Monday, after some last minute cramming over the weekend... That should give my apps a boost.

One of my friends just got an offer for an oilfield job... he's been up there since Monday before last... Applied last Tuesday and followed up today... sent him for his drug test and physical today... Gave him the choice of 14/14 or 21/14... said he would be in housing by middle of next week..

Good for him!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 PM

73 posts, read 202,977 times
Golfer, did he have any oilfield experience?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Yes I do work in the ND oilpatch.
LOL, I knew it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota