Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times

Advertisements

Lol at the Wisconsin picture. The car had Illinois plates
Honestly North Dakota has good drivers. Florida is by far the worst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 10,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Living near Chicago, with my inlaws living deep in the middle of Wisconsin, I can relate to that picture. In fact, I sympathize with the Wisconsin drivers, because most of the drivers from Illinois (at least the ones who venture up to Wisconsin) are real jerks when it comes to driving.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwvonjones View Post
Living near Chicago, with my inlaws living deep in the middle of Wisconsin, I can relate to that picture. In fact, I sympathize with the Wisconsin drivers, because most of the drivers from Illinois (at least the ones who venture up to Wisconsin) are real jerks when it comes to driving.
Yea i agree i been to Wisconsin Dells. I've been rear ended 3 times in my life all happening by a Illinois driver in Wisconsin

Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 AM

454 posts, read 937,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post

I can't find the picture .

KXMB did a story last night about the rate of accidents nearly doubling since this time in 2010, unfortunately, it hasn't been posted on their site yet, so I can't link it, but here is one from the Williston Herald from October 15th, stating basically the same thing. Williston Herald - Online Edition (http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2011/10/15/news/doc4e9a206c11174194911917.txt - broken link) IMO, it's become pretty dangerous to be a driver in certain parts of N.D.

Talked to a young man on Monday who came to ND from Idaho to work in the oilfield. He's been here over a year now, lives in Minot and drives to the western part of ND daily. His company does provide van service to and from the job site, but, and these are his words, "Because the company hires Texans and Mexicans with absolutely no experience driving on snow and ice to transport our workers, I have made the decision to drive myself to and from the site, it's only a matter of time before these guys wreck and take everyone with them". This guy misses Idaho, but told me he plans to stay in ND for the long haul. He is also looking for a job inside the city of Minot so that he won't have to be out on the highways on a daily basis, again, his words "It's only a matter of time before I am involved in some sort of accident out there, it's that bad".

Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 AM

18 posts, read 38,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Different areas of the country have different driving habits. For instance, people in San Diego are used to driving faster, darting traffic, lane sharing, etc. If they come up to North Dakota, that type of pattern is not going to work and they are very dangerous. That driving worked fine where they were.

On the flip side of that coin, a person living in snow country and used to driving slow and cautious, will cause an accident in Los Angelas because they drive to slow. But they were safe back home.

It used to be that any area around a military base was the number 1 area for bad drivers. It wasn't bad drivers, it was all the different people from all over the country and used to driving habits back home are all of a sudden in the military. So it gave that area a bad name. Each of these people were probably very safe, where they come from.

But now, North Dakota is catching the flack. Minot always has because of the military base there. Now, with the Bakken drawing thousands and thousands of new people, they are bringing their driving habits with them and those habits don't necessarily work in snow country.

I agree with you on this! It really is people from different states bringing habits that do not work here. When I first got here I thought it was the locals but now I see that they are just plain tired of us outsiders and cut us off all the time lol. I tend to drive cautiously here because of the out of state drivers that think all these straight roads mean they can go fast even when there are ice patches around. I have seen many people pulled over and mostly out of town plates.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM

477 posts, read 1,503,928 times
Yes, I can honestly say I am scared when I go out on highway 2, 85, 1804, or any other highway that is extending out over 65 miles to 120 away from Williston.

This last summer I was coming back to Williston from the south and at the time they had road construction, speed limit was 40, however everyone was going at least 64. A truck picked up a huge rock sending it into my windshield, splattered glass everywhere in my vehicle and it hit me before the truck passed me. I mean that wasn't exactly the drivers fault except they could have slowed down a bit.

You definately have to be on your guard here, never just go on a green light, but take the time to make sure no runners are trying to go through the red light. I have seen it turn green on my side and still have 3 trucks go through the light. It looks like they have put cameras up on all the lights now around the Williston area, don't know if they are just studying it, lol, or actually doing something about the ones running the lights. Winter will suck as people need to slow down or learn that, hope they do.

Of course it's not all out of staters, the locals can drive cruddy too, but I think there are so many out of state licenses on the road now that it is just more noticable to us as locals, lol, or something like that. I do hate to say it though, but the majority of fatel accidents on the roads have been out of staters which saddens me greatly. I hate to think of the families they have left behind and they were so desperate they tried to come here to make it.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,075,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Yes, I can honestly say I am scared when I go out on highway 2, 85, 1804, or any other highway that is extending out over 65 miles to 120 away from Williston.

This last summer I was coming back to Williston from the south and at the time they had road construction, speed limit was 40, however everyone was going at least 64. A truck picked up a huge rock sending it into my windshield, splattered glass everywhere in my vehicle and it hit me before the truck passed me. I mean that wasn't exactly the drivers fault except they could have slowed down a bit.

You definately have to be on your guard here, never just go on a green light, but take the time to make sure no runners are trying to go through the red light. I have seen it turn green on my side and still have 3 trucks go through the light. It looks like they have put cameras up on all the lights now around the Williston area, don't know if they are just studying it, lol, or actually doing something about the ones running the lights. Winter will suck as people need to slow down or learn that, hope they do.

Of course it's not all out of staters, the locals can drive cruddy too, but I think there are so many out of state licenses on the road now that it is just more noticable to us as locals, lol, or something like that. I do hate to say it though, but the majority of fatel accidents on the roads have been out of staters which saddens me greatly. I hate to think of the families they have left behind and they were so desperate they tried to come here to make it.
That is very scarey. I hate to think of having to come there this summer. Usually the hwy 85 is pretty empty, so you can at least look at the beauty of the badlands. It is starting to sound like the L.A. freeways, although those folks do know how to drive, and believe it or not, are very courteous. Is there any sort of preparation class for drivers new to snow/ice driving??? There should be!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM

21 posts, read 30,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
Try Florida - Where you have old blue hairs driving in the faaaar left lane of a 6-lane expressway (of course, 10 mph below the speed limit)... "Lookee, it's my exit"... and cuts across ALL six lanes to get to her exit...LOL
I have to agree with this, I live in Florida and the driving skills of the residents is enough to give you a heart attack. Then you have the speed demons with the crotch rockets with dare devil stunts and speeding in traffic.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 PM

477 posts, read 1,503,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
That is very scarey. I hate to think of having to come there this summer. Usually the hwy 85 is pretty empty, so you can at least look at the beauty of the badlands. It is starting to sound like the L.A. freeways, although those folks do know how to drive, and believe it or not, are very courteous. Is there any sort of preparation class for drivers new to snow/ice driving??? There should be!

Not anymore! Let me just put it this way...it took me a normal drive of 45 minutes this summer a drive of over 2 hours most times. Traffic is continuous, a line of mostly semis, work trucks, and a few brave little cars mixed in.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Not anymore! Let me just put it this way...it took me a normal drive of 45 minutes this summer a drive of over 2 hours most times. Traffic is continuous, a line of mostly semis, work trucks, and a few brave little cars mixed in.
I've noticed this too about cars being in the minority on many roads. Where I live most of the traffic is semis, followed by straight trucks and pickups. Cars are a distant fourth. Never seen anything like this before anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota