Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 PM

174 posts, read 377,721 times
Fracing is perfectly safe in ND considering that the oil formation is thousands of feet beneath the water table. This is simply a ban pushed and passed out of ignorance that is going to accomplish nothing except ensure that the tribe and its members miss a perfect opportunity to become financially independant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 PM

89 posts, read 166,893 times
I would think that once the reports come out showing it is safe. Things will change.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:05 PM

443 posts, read 804,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
These people are neither ignorant nor uninformed. I believe they are doing what is best for them as a people. They know enough not to sh%t in their own nest.
Turtle Mountain Res. is interesting due to the fact that the tribe holds lands in trust throughout North Dakota, Montana, and South Dakota. The fracking ban may not just be on the contiguous reservation in the Turtle Mountains.
-A lot of good and well educated people come off of this reservation. One that comes to mind is Dr. Lionel De Montigny, former assistant Surgeon General of the U.S., now deceased.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,118,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
That is very interesting. Well I have my feelings on it, I just help but wonder what's it's going to be like here in Western ND when they are done drilling the 50,000 wells projected to be drilled. The land will never be the same.
I agree. My Son told me that he had seen on a popular search engine that also has news, that the prediction is that by the years end......the Bakken will have produced 90 billion gals of oil. And, that this was historically the largest amount of oil ever produced in the U. S. I am concerned for the whole area, now.....and very concerned of what our grandkids will see on the horizon, if it lasts as long as some are also predicting. Good for the economy, but in this era of "green" space, environmental issues, etc. quite the contradiction it seems in public values. We need it, but we may hate it, or the consequences of "it."

Old 11-24-2011, 06:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,118,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff75 View Post
I would think that once the reports come out showing it is safe. Things will change.
I am not even going to pretend to know firsthand information about fracking. But, I do find it interesting that while we are awaiting the results of a report..........isn't fracking continuing?

Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 PM

581 posts, read 2,212,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
These people are neither ignorant nor uninformed. I believe they are doing what is best for them as a people. They know enough not to sh%t in their own nest.
Turtle Mountain Res. is interesting due to the fact that the tribe holds lands in trust throughout North Dakota, Montana, and South Dakota. The fracking ban may not just be on the contiguous reservation in the Turtle Mountains.
-A lot of good and well educated people come off of this reservation. One that comes to mind is Dr. Lionel De Montigny, former assistant Surgeon General of the U.S., now deceased.
Claiming MUD is used for fracking is uninformed. Maybe not ignorant, but it is uninformed. There are many educated people that come off of the reservation. That does not mean that they understand fracking.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Claiming MUD is used for fracking is uninformed. Maybe not ignorant, but it is uninformed. There are many educated people that come off of the reservation. That does not mean that they understand fracking.
You're right they're uninformed as to the use of diesel based MUD used in the drilling process. If they (and the general public) were completely informed about the entire process there would be a lot more outrage.
The real rush here is about getting the oil out before the EPA steps in.
The Keystone XL pipeline situation indicates that the pendulum may be swinging the other way.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
They really don't understand the process. They refer to the mixture of sand, water and chemicals as "MUD". That is incorrect. MUD is used when drilling the well, not fracking it. Mud is an engineered fluid that keeps pressure down the hole and allows cutting to come to the service. MUD is diesel based.

If they ban fracking they might as well not even lease their lands. A ban on fracking would shut down this oilpatch. "Saving" their land would costs jobs and money to the reservation. This is ignorant and very detrimental to the tribe. Fort Berthold Reservation has been drilling and fracking for years without this red tape.
Not all MUD is diesel based, it depends on the formation.
Very detrimental to the tribe? Some cultures value health and well being over money. Money's not much good if you can't drink the water or breath the air without adverse consequences. Fort Berthold doesn't have much for options, they lost their only viable landbase when the dam was built.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:37 PM

98 posts, read 207,599 times
Do their tribal lands hold enough oil resources to even make this "ban" anything of import? If the tribe is sitting on a gold mine, then this may be a very poor decision. If there isn't much oil, then it really doesn't matter.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
Do their tribal lands hold enough oil resources to even make this "ban" anything of import? If the tribe is sitting on a gold mine, then this may be a very poor decision. If there isn't much oil, then it really doesn't matter.
Possible thermally mature Bakken Formation, Spearfish Formation, and shallow gas potential. High risk for the drillers.
One man's "goldmine" is another man's environmental disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota