Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusman View Post
#1. I guess you missed the part where I stated that this was MY OPINION. We're talking about ND, not the dark side of the moon. I believe that you have completely missed the point of my post... FREE WILL, and CHOICE. If people think they can hack it, who are you to tell them they can't? In case you didn't notice, there are a lot of people currently living in their cars there. talldarkone is living in his vehicle, and from the sounds of it, is doing quite well too. Or perhaps you're one of locals that think us "oilers" (that's the term I'm trying to coin for oil field transplants...lets help it to catch on) should stay away from ND. Well it isn't gonna work. Like I said in my earlier post, desperation is a good motivator. Speaking as an intended "oiler", I'm coming up there to make a pile of money, so I can get back on my feet. What's wrong with that? I'm not begrudging you your living, why should you begrudge me mine? I KNOW I can handle a ND winter, I grew up in Northern Michigan and am experienced in cold climates. It all boils down to CHOICE. You don't know me, and I'm guessing you don't know talldarkone, and you don't know what I/we can, and can not handle. If my only two choices are cold, or hot, I'll stick with the cold. I can always put on more clothes, but when it's hot, I can only take so much off. Then I'm naked and still hot.

#2.I did not include any factual evidence, as I figured that everyone has read at least one history book, so it wasn't necessary. Mankind has existed on this planet for well over one hundred thousand years...that's a long time. Also there are other places on this planet that are cold climates that aren't in North America, and so have not had any Native Americans living there. I'm not suggesting that anyone, now, or in the past has survived harsh winter conditions, without proper shelter...however we do know that they did survive with only simple furs to keep them warm and alive. Oh, and a car/truck/whatever IS shelter, if you're living in it. It will keep the snow off you, and block most, if not all of the wind. (Unless you have a rusted out hoopty.) The question here is... CAN it be done? The answer is YES. Now if you want to expand it to Should it be done...that's a different story. For MOST people, I'd say no. Far to many people are ill prepared to survive in harsh conditions. That being said, they still have FREE WILL and CHOICE.

Williston...prepare yourselves, for I AM coming. And there's nothing that you or anyone can do to stop me.
See ya around the water cooler.

lazarusman
Just curious. Have you ever been to North Dakota? in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 09:51 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
I don’t think it’s fair to compare a truck driver to someone sleeping in their car. The last time I looked truck drivers can idle their engines for heat and have decent insulated sleeping berths. I think someone would have to have a death wish to attempt to idle their car for heat in the middle of a blizzard. It’s not a good idea considering that if snow starts getting deep that carbon monoxide is going to go somewhere. Remember diesels have stacks.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:42 PM

34 posts, read 85,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Just curious. Have you ever been to North Dakota? in the winter?
No, I have not as yet experienced a ND winter, however, I grew up in Northern Michigan...so I have an idea of what it's like.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 PM

34 posts, read 85,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
This is kind of like beating a dead horse. People are going to do what they are going to do, regardless, we are a free country after all (sort of). I think there are some that can do it and make out just fine. talldarkone and a few others come to mind. The thing that gets to me is when people come here without a car or even with a car, get a job, then go door to door to businesses basically begging for someone to take them in to their home out of the kindness of their heart, playing on the sympathy of the people of this area. Why should we take them into our homes? Why should we feel guilty for not taking in someone we don't know? I'm sure that 99.9999 percent of these people are harmless. But guess what? I'm not risking my family by taking in that other 1 percent, no way. If you come here and think you are prepared and find out you can't make it in your car, camper or tent (the tent idea still kills me), don't come crying to the local citizens or social programs to help you - you came on your own free will. If you can't handle it here, get yourself back home on your own. It was your choice, plan, idea to come in the first place. I certainly am concerned about any children that might get caught up in this, but as for the adults that choose this - that's their business and their problem. Don't cry to the locals when your pipe dream bursts. Believe me, we have a multitude of our own problems already.
Here here. I would never beg for handouts for food or housing, especially if I got myself in the desperate situation, all on my own. It seems ridiculous that there are oilers up there, who went up for work, and are now nothing more than beggars. Suck it up people....if you drive your happy a** all the way to ND, don't go around begging. Prepare BEFORE you go, not after you get there. I'm going to haul a camper, or possibly an RV, and I'll be staying in it, until I either secure better housing, or decide to head back.

lazarusman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota