Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 AM

15 posts, read 37,084 times

Advertisements

Do the health care jobs in the oil patch pay good? LPN, CNA, HOME HEALTH AID, CAREGIVER, PHLEBOTOMIST ? I have found these jobs, but no pay stated. any idea the hourly rate? And do these types of jobs get a lot of overtime? THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:41 AM

231 posts, read 873,051 times
I've been watching the employment ads pretty close for the last year and it seems for the most part they are not paying significantly more than they are in the Eastern part of the state. My wife is a full time CNA in West Fargo and makes more than what I've seen most jobs advertised for in Williston and Dickinson. Elim Home in Fargo advertises they pay about $14+ to start, they earn their money however. What I have seen in the West is some of the places offering sign on bonuses up to about $1500 (a few places, not all). Not a bad deal if your significant other is there, and you are moving with them, but not worth the crazy cost of living there alone. I don't know if they are given any more opportunities for overtime. There are lots of jobs for CNA's and LPN's, but the other jobs might not offer enough hours to keep someone working fulltime.

That's what it seems like to me. There is probably someone located in that area that can give you a better idea of the situation.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:48 PM

40 posts, read 83,212 times
I've been looking at cna jobs as well im a cna in wisconsin but there not paying much more in nd than they are in wisconsin. make 11.14 now and I havent seen anything more than 12/hr in western nd, not worth it in my opinion. The sign on bonus i dont think is worth it, its a one time deal.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:24 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
I would tend to agree with the other posters....from what I have noticed health care jobs may pay a little more in the west than the east....but not enough to counter act the higher cost of housing.

Dan

Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM

174 posts, read 378,765 times
Starting pay for health care jobs isn't going to look that good but you have to look at the pay scale. If you bring experience then there is no reason to expect that you are going to be making the base rate. I work with quite a few nurses and they are all pretty happy with their compensation and hours.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I read a couple weeks ago, that Mercy hospital had hired many employees within the last year, only to losse them to the oil field, I would suppose primarily due to the higher wages in oil jobs. That said, I would never move for a $15.00 hr job, only to live in a $25.00 hr economy. Get your experience where you are, and only move for a great paying job. And, for your own benefit research, housing, costs of living etc. before taking any job anywhere.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 PM

68 posts, read 150,598 times
Does anyone know how much RNs are paid in Minot at Trinity Hospital?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 AM

454 posts, read 940,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I can't help with the RN wage @ Trinity, but I can tell you that a couple months ago, a rep from Trinity called my sister and asked if she knew of anyone that could house an RN from overseas that was coming to work @ Trinity. My sister is an RN that used to work @ Trinity years ago, and I suppose the rep was calling anyone and everyone they knew, hoping to find somewhere for this person to live. I'm sure you would have no problem getting hired on with Trinity, your problem will be housing. Minot is working hard to improve the housing situation, but it takes time. Hopefully by this time next year, some of the housing crunch will have been alleviated.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM

454 posts, read 940,259 times
Sorry to post right after myself...................but I keep hearing ads for ND DOC on the radio for RN's, so I thought I would check out their website and found this:

Job Openings: Careers In Corrections: North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
A friend of mine just got hired, relocation bonus and all, to work @ Trinity. She is a CNA and they are paying her pretty well, So I imagine RN's are getting 25-30. Plus the 7500.00 Sign on bonus. Its a pretty good deal. and they have housing FYI, for Hospital Employees, its just there is a waiting list so you may have to room with someone until it becomes avail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota