Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM

101 posts, read 218,638 times

Advertisements

OK, been looking for work for a week...

yup, companies want experiance....might make a drilling job harder to get.

But I am running across production jobs, things like Instrument techs and plant operators...

don't pay as much, not as much overtime 50 to 60 hours a week max it seems.

Plus no housing provied.

Any observation or experiances here?

What about long term thinking on this.

I haven't found the $100,000 a year job here...even if I got hired on as a a floorhand....

So do I settle for $75,000 a year?

I know, I know....$75,000 a year , settling what the heck am I thinking....

But seriouly what to do???

I don't want to take a job and in a few weeks see a offer for a better job and burn a bridge by leaving after just starting a new job. I have never done that type of thing before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 PM

73 posts, read 202,591 times
I don't want to make it an obvious no brainer but I would take a job that provides housing. What city are you looking to work in?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 AM

477 posts, read 1,504,406 times
Production=Long-term employment

The drilling has always been short-term to a point of various factors.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:24 AM

11 posts, read 25,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talldarkone View Post
OK, been looking for work for a week...

yup, companies want experiance....might make a drilling job harder to get.

But I am running across production jobs, things like Instrument techs and plant operators...

don't pay as much, not as much overtime 50 to 60 hours a week max it seems.

Plus no housing provied.

Any observation or experiances here?

What about long term thinking on this.

I haven't found the $100,000 a year job here...even if I got hired on as a a floorhand....

So do I settle for $75,000 a year?

I know, I know....$75,000 a year , settling what the heck am I thinking....

But seriouly what to do???

I don't want to take a job and in a few weeks see a offer for a better job and burn a bridge by leaving after just starting a new job. I have never done that type of thing before
Wishing you luck Talldarkone, if you take the $75,000/yr it will be a foot in the door. You can network for a roomate and stay warm this winter, be able to support your family albeit from afar and observe which companies are the best to work for in the field. If your integrity won't allow you to job jump stay a few months and reevaluate. By that time you should have a clear picture of the longterm plan to move your family. My son took a job in Minot with a company that delivers the water for fracking 60/hrs/wk @ $15/hr, full benefits in 90days. A blessing for him as he is young with only himself to support. Housing is scarce there also, but when your just starting out necessity is the mother of invention to be sure. Keep your faith and determination going! I would have a hard time with taking $25,000 less a yr than planned, but with your work experience surely a higher paying opportunity will present itself once your in and networking. If you were taking votes I would give a Yes, take the 75,000, run with it and keep eyes peeled for better opportunities. Best Wishes to you and your family!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 AM

89 posts, read 166,863 times
go with it

Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,347,278 times
I'd do the production stuff, it's a job that still pays well but isn't as stressful as working on a rig.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:49 AM

581 posts, read 2,212,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Production=Long-term employment

The drilling has always been short-term to a point of various factors.
Agreed. Take the production job. The job security outweights the up front monetary benefit of drilling/exploration work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota