Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 AM

15 posts, read 37,081 times

Advertisements

Hi - I can not find any ads for cleaning/housekeeping jobs in those man camps. Anyone know how I can find them? Same questions about cooking helpers out in the camps, or realy, any other no exp needed type of job? I can not lift 100 pounds, so that leaves me out of a lot of jobs right there. Any company names? Anyone know how much an hour they make and if they get overtime or can stay free in the camp? Thank you much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 03:54 AM

98 posts, read 208,037 times
A suggestion: Do a Google Search using the terms "man camp" and "North Dakota". This will likely get you the names of the companies that are running man camps in the area. Contact them and they should be able to let you know if they are seeking employees.

Another suggestion: Unless you are directly asked about your lifting capabilities, I wouldn't volunteer the information. Most companies actually don't want their employees to lift 100lbs (the insurance costs from it are prohibitive) but they will avoid hiring anybody that they perceive as having potential health problems. The health problems may not be the reason that they give for not hiring you...but it will be the reason.

Good luck.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 AM

Thanks jmx - I will try that. Also, I am actually not weak or unhealthy or disabled, it is just that I am not strong like a lot of guys are. I had read that those floor hands are required to lift pipes that are allmost a hundred pounds? Is this true? I would pretty much take any good paying job that hired people without experience and that would hire a woman.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
I used to work in a produce department for years and can appreciate the relatively light lifting I have to do now. Years of unloading boxes of apples for cooler storage in a busy store takes it's toll on the body especially for the relatively measly pay it paid. I can only imagine what these rig workers lift.

The job descriptions where I work say heavy lifting, but anything much over 30 pounds they have hoists for, so the term 'heavy lifting' is a relative one. Depends on the department one it working in.

I wouldn't be lifting 100 pound items either all day long.. I've lifted 2 40 pound bags of salt at once from time to time and doing that all day.. no thanks. Young people think they are invincible, but that kind of lifting day in and day out, they will pay for it later in life. There are of course ways to make it safer, such as the 'powerlifting' they talk about here at work, if you have the discipline to make it a part of your life.. then much of the lifting is done with your legs.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 AM

174 posts, read 378,694 times
If you are looking for a cleaning job I wouldn't limit yourself to the man camps. All the hotels are hurting for cleaning staff too so I would at least look into that.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,919 times
Target Logistics posted a job on 11/4 for kitchen help.

Work was also posted for a man camp through this site:

morganchasemanagement.com: Home

Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM

thanks!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
I would try to find work in another city if you can't get on the rigs, because rent is so high. I pay $515 a month all utilities paid. Having to pay $2000 would be sucking up another 2 weeks pay or slightly more then that after taxes forcing me to work that many more hours to make the same money.

One can find work in eastern South Dakota in Sioux Falls, Brookings, and Watertown and make $10-12 an hour and up and have your rent costs be 1/3 of what they are in williston.

Williston is for rig workers. Everyone else, even with $14 at mcdonalds, it's not very economical, unless you put in a lot of overtime and like doing it.. as that turns $14 into $21.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I would try to find work in another city if you can't get on the rigs, because rent is so high. I pay $515 a month all utilities paid. Having to pay $2000 would be sucking up another 2 weeks pay or slightly more then that after taxes forcing me to work that many more hours to make the same money.

One can find work in eastern South Dakota in Sioux Falls, Brookings, and Watertown and make $10-12 an hour and up and have your rent costs be 1/3 of what they are in williston.

Williston is for rig workers. Everyone else, even with $14 at mcdonalds, it's not very economical, unless you put in a lot of overtime and like doing it.. as that turns $14 into $21.
Is the same thing here where I live you can rent a 3 bdrm house for 500-600 month with large lots. Jobs are also very available but the pay falls in the 10 to 15 hr range. The 15/hr ones are usually in the packing plants but harder work. The only negative thing about this though is you are really limited and can only go so far money wise. But for people who like to play it safe it is great to be in these kind of areas.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Originally Posted by JanND
Temporary workforce housing in Tioga, North Dakota by Target Logistics
New threads in forum re mancamps in tioga, not sure if operational right now, but taking apps, they have numbers. Check the threads, and this link if y This is logistics company, looks like world wide.
The contact us section has email and fax for sending apps.
I hope it helps.

another post I saw; flyonpa, very informative re: mancamps. ....http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us...pagewanted=all

Last edited by JanND; 12-10-2011 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota