Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyd11 View Post
I also thought time and a half was federal law although some companies in North Dakota do not pay an overtime rate. North Dakota isn't required to pay time and a half is what we were told. I always thought when determining between federal and state law, they had to go with the law most favorable to the employee. Anyone??
I always thought that if you are getting paid hourly, anything over 40 hours in a 1 week period is time and a half. As far as I know, that is federal law and state law can not supercede it, but perhaps there are exceptions.

I believe that some employers pay time and a half for anything over 8 hours in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM

112 posts, read 316,524 times
Smile Update from Midland/Odessa TX

I arrived in Midland on Tuesday night but had to stay in Odessa (no hotel rooms to be had). Headed out early on Wed morning but most HR offices were not even open until 8:30 or 9 am, not sure if the snow had something to do with it or if that's just the way it is. So many oil company buildings, sites, parking lots and so on that it was a task just to find where to go.

Managed to make it to about 4 companies, first one sounded really good, thought I had hit it on the first try but then... the personality test on the computer... it was either Pass or Fail (posted details in another thread). Most of the offices were crawling with applicants, new hires, newbies in a little trouble for minor violations and so on. It was really pretty much chaos, seemed like most were just juggling phones and the paperwork from one stack to another. I am sure my online apps were in those stacks somewhere. So now they have two apps and multiple copies of my resume.

Had a couple of recruiters/HR that were encouraging but the biggest issue I think was that I was from AL and most did not offer any housing. Some were offering per diem but still seemed to concerned that I did not live there yet.

Most also seemed only to be interested in trying to place you in the Midland area not in other areas that might offer housing but maybe that was just me. Anyway, stayed at it until they all locked their doors and then called it a day.

I went to a one more this morning but again lots of chaos, so I filled out my app, she took my resume and said thanks. So... I am on the road to Laredo to attend job fair tomorrow.

Will post updates when I can, until then thanks to all who have provided so much info and encouragement! I am determined to find a "good" job before I head home. I think if I had a TX address and had been willing to work for $12 hr, I could have found multiple jobs but that's not what I want or need, so onward...

Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I always thought that if you are getting paid hourly, anything over 40 hours in a 1 week period is time and a half. As far as I know, that is federal law and state law can not supercede it, but perhaps there are exceptions.

I believe that some employers pay time and a half for anything over 8 hours in a day.
It also depends on industry. Agriculture, for example, is exempt from OT rules.
My husband has ranched most of his life, and never worked a mere 40 hour week unless it was over the holidays. He's also never gotten overtime. lol

So far as the oil patch, I know some of them are getting around it by contracting their drivers (ie, 1099). There's no OT in that, and you have to pay both halves of your SS/FICA taxes. Some avoid it entirely by paying commission on the load rather than hourly.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 PM

80 posts, read 272,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoND2work View Post
I arrived in Midland on Tuesday night but had to stay in Odessa (no hotel rooms to be had). Headed out early on Wed morning but most HR offices were not even open until 8:30 or 9 am, not sure if the snow had something to do with it or if that's just the way it is. So many oil company buildings, sites, parking lots and so on that it was a task just to find where to go.

Managed to make it to about 4 companies, first one sounded really good, thought I had hit it on the first try but then... the personality test on the computer... it was either Pass or Fail (posted details in another thread). Most of the offices were crawling with applicants, new hires, newbies in a little trouble for minor violations and so on. It was really pretty much chaos, seemed like most were just juggling phones and the paperwork from one stack to another. I am sure my online apps were in those stacks somewhere. So now they have two apps and multiple copies of my resume.

Had a couple of recruiters/HR that were encouraging but the biggest issue I think was that I was from AL and most did not offer any housing. Some were offering per diem but still seemed to concerned that I did not live there yet.

Most also seemed only to be interested in trying to place you in the Midland area not in other areas that might offer housing but maybe that was just me. Anyway, stayed at it until they all locked their doors and then called it a day.

I went to a one more this morning but again lots of chaos, so I filled out my app, she took my resume and said thanks. So... I am on the road to Laredo to attend job fair tomorrow.

Will post updates when I can, until then thanks to all who have provided so much info and encouragement! I am determined to find a "good" job before I head home. I think if I had a TX address and had been willing to work for $12 hr, I could have found multiple jobs but that's not what I want or need, so onward...
I wouldn't work for $12 HR the way demand is for workers. Do you have a CDL?

Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM

112 posts, read 316,524 times
No Dafeeder, don't have a CDL but not opposed to getting one if I could find a company that paid for the training. I couldn't work for $12 if I wanted to, couldn't even pay for a place to stay much less justify being away from home. Really looking for around $20 hr or really close, with lots of overtime. Don't mind the hard work, long hours or the weather hot or cold, but having housing or enough per diem to pay for something is almost a must.

Most of the people I talked to in Midland really seemed to want you to be locally based out of Midland but did not offer housing. I am hoping the job fair has a few more options. Will keep all posted as soon as I can.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
MovingtoNDWork, Good luck on your search there. Hoping you find the job and housing situation that you really need. Thanks for keeping us posted, it helps folks that are going thru the same things to compare notes and experiences. You hang in there!! Remember, emphasize your manual labor for oil field jobs, at least that has been the rule of thumb it seems. Try to think "transferrable" skills. What you have done, that could be a strong point in the job description in front of you that moment. It often helps to sit down w/ a piece of paper, and write out a list, use positive language. I.E.
Performed multiple tasks, Demonstrated strong work ethic, Utilized skills and training,

Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
I also thought time and a half was federal law although some companies in North Dakota do not pay an overtime rate. North Dakota isn't required to pay time and a half is what we were told. I always thought when determining between federal and state law, they had to go with the law most favorable to the employee. Anyone??
DOT has an exemption for "truck drivers". It has nothing to do with North Dakota law. It's a federal exemption. Just like truck drivers being paid by the barrel or by the mile. They also aren't paid overtime. Straight time is very common for trucking companies. Construction/Oilfield service companies generally don't hire drivers they hire "operators". The company I work for pays OT for all positions but drivers. It's legal. We've been doing it for 25 years in ND.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
I guess the best way to put it is that the truck drivers are paid by "commission hour" and not "by the hour". Meaning that they get their hourly rate when they are driving the truck. They do not punch a time clock they fill out a bill of lading for their time based on the truck hours.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,153 times
Quote:
He didn't go to a truck driving school, he just went and took the test in St. Cloud. We were just in Alex this weekend cause we spent new year's at the cabin (ate at Tennessee Roadhouse!). Now we are living in the cities-Lino Lakes. My husband just finally got an interview with Missouri Basin in Ross and we are waiting to hear back hopefully this week about it. But they don't provide housing so we are having some difficulty there. Where are you guys at in the process?
We are back to getting motivated, LOL, my hubby has been working a lot and now they are dying out. He also HAS to get his CDL soon as his permit is gonna be expiring. Just wondering since things in oil seem to change constantly, what is chance of getting hired now with new drivers with CDL? Also wondering if better to just get a regular driving job to get the experience.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafeeder View Post
I wouldn't work for $12 HR the way demand is for workers.
Wow, $12/hr? I think others are right when they say will start lowering wages. Thought TX oil jobs paid at least $14. $12 would be justified if they provided housing and food and got a lot of overtime....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota