Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM

443 posts, read 806,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldarkone View Post
Housing is the real challege...after you get a job.

I do see a lot of housing coming on board, and some of the RV places and over priced places are emptying out as other choices are becoming available.

I suspect living here means some communting time will be involved. The high rates are if you want to live close to your work or in town.

People making hay while they can....I suppose I would too if, the shoe were on the other foot.
It'll be interesting to see what prices do as housing comes on line. Nobody is building with the idea of renting/selling the units cheaply.
There are still some fairly reasonable rental rates within 75-100 miles of Williston- primarily in Eastern Montana. Canada is an option as well- it's busy there but they're being a little more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,568 times
I have came down to the conclusion that to work and actually make money there, I can only afford to buy an RV at my local dealer (rather have my money go there than williston), and park it in an rv lot for less than 1,000. I can finance a 5th wheel for 100 bucks a month, definatly makes more sense, and I get the whole damn thing to myself.

Excellent idea. No one is stopping you.

Unless of course you haven't thought about how difficult it is to heat an RV in N.D. in the winter. Or how hard it is to have running water, and sewer. I have heard of some people burning up several hundred gallons of propane a month to heat an RV. At almost $3 a gallon, you do the math.

Taking those things into considerations, there are a lot of people obviously paying those high rents, which brings us to the fact; that is what the market will bare. We call it a free market economy. Don't care for it, don't come.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 PM

40 posts, read 83,214 times
Insulating the rv is a big factor as well. The place I am buying from actually has rv's called ice trailers that are already made for sub temps.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 PM

443 posts, read 806,405 times
I'm surprised nobody has set up an ice fishing shanty on Lake Sakakawea as a semi-permanent abode. Open water months could be spent onboard a vessel with a cuddy cabin.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM

40 posts, read 83,214 times
Thats true ursa, you could easily live rent free on the lake, just park your rv about 20 feet off shore and your set. Hmmm...

Old 12-14-2011, 04:54 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
good idea using the lake. People leave fishing shacks up the entire winter here. There's not much they can do about people using it, though I suspect they'd find a way if enough people abused it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota