Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM

52 posts, read 175,005 times

Advertisements

Hey-locals say they hate airline, but never knew why. Outsiders say dont work there, why? their ad $12 an hour & free flights. Isnt that normal pay for those with no experience who do not work in the oil fields? If anyone knows anything and wants to share, that would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 02:29 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Well you can get $14.50 per hour at Walmart as a stocker and $15 per hour at fast food joints in Williston. I can't imagine anyone working for $12 per hour in this area unless the free flights mean a lot to you or the job is kind of laid back without much pressure.

I've heard negative things about the airline, but no reasons ever given. Maybe someone else can chime in about that.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Well you can get $14.50 per hour at Walmart as a stocker and $15 per hour at fast food joints in Williston. I can't imagine anyone working for $12 per hour in this area unless the free flights mean a lot to you or the job is kind of laid back without much pressure.

I've heard negative things about the airline, but no reasons ever given. Maybe someone else can chime in about that.
Great Lakes is suppose to have one of the oldest fleets in the industry, so if you're applying for a mechanic/maintenance job you will likely be very busy. I know their flights in to Williston are often cancelled/delayed due to unscheduled maintenance.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Great Lakes participates a lot in the "essential air service" program. This means that their staff and crews end up spending lots of time in small, out-of-the-way towns (smaller than Williston) for pay that isn't all that great. This leads to a lot of grumbling.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
Great Lakes has since placed a maintenance facility at the Williston airport along with an extra plane to prevent cancelations. I think Williston is pretty lucky to have Great Lakes. Towns larger than Williston can't even get any type of commercial air service. Williston isn't a part of the Essential Air program, but the other towns Great Lakes serve in ND are...Williston is just a part of the route. I think WIlliston would need to build a new runway (longer and concrete) in order to get any type of jet service. I guess we can complain all we want with what we have, but we would be complaining even worse if we didn't have anything at all.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Probably the co-pilots making the equivalent of $9/hr thing, and the small towns thing. I mean, who wants to make a living going to places like Alliance, NE?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM

174 posts, read 378,765 times
I don't know what they are like to work for, but yeah us locals hate them. Poor service, sky high prices, cancelations/delays and lost luggage will do that.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,940 times
We have Great Lakes here in Sheridan. To go to another town in Wyoming you have to go to Denver first. I just flew from Sheridan to North Carolina and although a little bumpy (expected in the mountains) had good flights both ways to and from Denver. Had 2 checked bags and they arrived with us. If they stay in business we will fly with them again.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM

191 posts, read 360,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Probably the co-pilots making the equivalent of $9/hr thing, and the small towns thing. I mean, who wants to make a living going to places like Alliance, NE?
Hey now ..how can you put down the home of Carhenge!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteveB View Post
Hey now ..how can you put down the home of Carhenge!
Haha.....I had to go to Alliance for work once, I made sure I saw Carhenge before I left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: