Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 PM

15 posts, read 42,122 times

Advertisements

Hi I am val I currently live in az but were moving to north dakota ina few weeks n I want to know what I should expect there. What is there to do. Job market. Schools ect.
I'm very scared of relocating I also have 2 small children. We decided to just pack n go.
Plz help ty
Val.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM

192 posts, read 497,213 times
1. Read the boards all of them.
2. Small Children = BAD IDEA
3. There is no housing, period.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,006 times
I guess it would help if you stated where in N.D. you are relocating to.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM

Bismarck or fargo? I read some good things but I'm trying to b specific
We r living in a 2bdrom house with our two kids a couple n their 4kids
Paying 400$ mnthly n 300$ food

Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM

155 posts, read 421,108 times
Better look towards Fargo if your looking to rent. There's next to nothing available here in Bismarck.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM

Fargo has jobs too? It cnt b as bad as cali or az every 2weeks u get 400$ on a check n pay 900$ for a studio.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valarieM85 View Post
Hi I am val I currently live in az but were moving to north dakota ina few weeks n I want to know what I should expect there. What is there to do. Job market. Schools ect.
I'm very scared of relocating I also have 2 small children. We decided to just pack n go.
Plz help ty
Val.
Like others have mentioned, there isn't housing for a family with small children in western North Dakota. That may change in another 18 months or so.

But there are jobs and housing available in eastern North Dakota. Check jobsnd.com .

If your spouse is really intent on getting a job in the oilfields, the most affordable thing to do would be to rent in a small town in North Dakota near a major highway (like Rugby or anywhere east of there- rents are very very affordable in small towns in Eastern ND that are further than 40 miles from Grand Forks or Fargo) and for your spouse to find a oil field job and live in a mancamp. That would mean the two of you could be separated for a week or two stretch.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Quote:
Fargo has jobs too? It cnt b as bad as cali or az every 2weeks u get 400$ on a check n pay 900$ for a studio.
Are you missing some of the keys from your keyboard?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 PM

Haha sometimes they do not work.
How far is oil fields (timewise) from renter town.
We need out from here tho. Its awful were almost homeless.
And my dad being a trucker told us bout n.d. so we r taking a chance.
Any more info would begreat . For rent..jobs... ect.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
Quote:
Haha sometimes they do not work.
How far is oil fields (timewise) from renter town.
We need out from here tho. Its awful were almost homeless.
And my dad being a trucker told us bout n.d. so we r taking a chance.
Any more info would begreat . For rent..jobs... ect.
I am a bit confused....you mentioned Fargo. That is a fine place and housing is the cheapest of the ND cities. Still, quite nervous about someone moving here without a job or housing lined up....where will you stay when you get here? I encourage you to check over the jobsND website, it lists lots of opportunities..... check it over. Fargo is like most cities its size (metro pop over 150k)....lots of service/restaurant jobs avbl right away for the un-experienced....

Now if you or a spouse is looking out west....I would not move out there with kids. No housing at all and very expensive. It would be a huge mistake to go west without something lined up. But Fargo is easier....as they are not in the boom area but economy and city have grown steadily in the past 20 yrs.

Fargo to oil area is about 4 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota