Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM

17 posts, read 98,404 times

Advertisements

We've been in base housing for two years now. We wanted to buy a house but it never seemed like the right time for various reasons. We could do it now but I wonder with all the flooded out homes, new construction, housing shortages... Is this a good time? Are the prices over inflated. Are there good deals out there. Where we are from it's a buyers market. I can't tell what kind of a market it is here though. It's just plain confusing to me. What's happening with the flooded regions. Are they demolishing those houses or fixing them up? I see a lot of them listed for sale. That seems kinda sketchy but I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,000,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esj414 View Post
We've been in base housing for two years now. We wanted to buy a house but it never seemed like the right time for various reasons. We could do it now but I wonder with all the flooded out homes, new construction, housing shortages... Is this a good time? Are the prices over inflated. Are there good deals out there. Where we are from it's a buyers market. I can't tell what kind of a market it is here though. It's just plain confusing to me. What's happening with the flooded regions. Are they demolishing those houses or fixing them up? I see a lot of them listed for sale. That seems kinda sketchy but I don't know.
We have relatives in Minot.... and yes the prices have risen a lot lately. We have friends that built a home in southeast Minot....and for pretty much the same house they had to pay 100k more than the house they built in Burlington back about 5 years ago.

From reading the Minot news and talking to my in-laws there....in the flood zone there remains a lot of uncertainity about buy outs and where any flood protection will be. Thus some owners have decided to re-build and stay...others are sellling the homes but they may need major fixing up only to have to be bought by the city in a few years.

There are other experts here on Minot....but certainly prices are higher than than pre-flood. It was that way in Grand Forks and it took about 2 yrs to return to normal, but GF didnt have nearly the housing shortage that Minot does. So unsure if prices will ever get back to pre-flood levels.

--Dan

Old 01-19-2012, 04:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Having lived through the Grand Forks flood and recovery, which takes imo several years, I would recommend waiting. You and the residents in Minot as well as all of Western N.D. are facing housing shortages, thus increased prices. Many homes have been bought for the purpose of renting them for profit, resulting in very high prices for rent. That imo makes it more prudent to wait. Unless you privately run across a wonderful house deal. Read some of the threads re: renting, and housing shortages, you may agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota