Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM

192 posts, read 497,234 times

Advertisements

I have begun my housing search in earnest. What are some of the smaller towns in the area to expand my search for temporary housing while searching for work.

I'm trying to keep within 90 minutes of the oil patch. My frame of reference is the following towns. Based on what I have read online. I have Google Mapped the area but, not sure what towns are reasonable in terms of distance and traffic.

Williston
Dickinson
Watford City
Alexander
Minot
Fairview, MT
Sidney, MT

The goal again is housing and employment with reasonable commute. (90 min)

~G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM

581 posts, read 2,214,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
I have begun my housing search in earnest. What are some of the smaller towns in the area to expand my search for temporary housing while searching for work.

I'm trying to keep within 90 minutes of the oil patch. My frame of reference is the following towns. Based on what I have read online. I have Google Mapped the area but, not sure what towns are reasonable in terms of distance and traffic.

Williston
Dickinson
Watford City
Alexander
Minot
Fairview, MT
Sidney, MT

The goal again is housing and employment with reasonable commute. (90 min)

~G
All of those cities are directly in the oil patch. You'll probably need to look toward Bismarck (90 miles from Dickinson and Minot) to find any kind of housing relief. Many people work in Dickinson but live in Bismarck. It's an hour and a half to and from work but it's do able if you have to.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
The better option might be to seek employment that offers man camp housing. Most of the other cities you listed are rumored to have no rentals available. Near Dickinson, Richardton, Mott, New England, South Heart, Belfield, Gladstone, west of Bismarck;Hebron, New Salem; several others....
Read the recent thread by ndrelocation, who made a housing search recently in Dickinson. Didn't sound promising.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM

OOOPS!!

I guess I left one detail out. My goal is to get a job with housing. I'm looking for somewhere (3months) that I can hole up while I look for work. Mancamp would be ideal.

So basically I want to search all the towns possible.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM

443 posts, read 806,145 times
If you have a passport and can legally cross the border, you might consider commuting from Canada until you get established.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
If you have a passport and can legally cross the border, you might consider commuting from Canada until you get established.
Really? Hadn't thought of that.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
Really? Hadn't thought of that.
...cat's out of the bag now. I know a few guys doing it. I have dual U.S./Canadian citizenship and spend time on both sides of the line.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Be sure you make yourself aware of all the laws both sides of border. Have heard stories of folks getting banned for pepper spray, etc. I would call border patrol for both sides. And, truthfully I wouldn't want to cross the border daily, quite intimidating. But, on short term might be worth it. Make sure if you have any record, that you will get to cross. Heard if you have felony no getting into Canada? Not sure about a misdemeanor.

Last edited by JanND; 01-20-2012 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Be sure you make yourself aware of all the laws both sides of border. Have heard stories of folks getting banned for pepper spray, etc. I would call border patrol for both sides. And, truthfully I wouldn't want to cross the border daily, quite intimidating. But, on short term might be worth it. Make sure if you have any record, that you will get to cross. Heard if you have felony no getting into Canada? Not sure about a misdemeanor.
Canada will not let a convicted felon cross the border. If you have a DUI in your past, they will turn you away. Any crime of "moral turpitude" such as petty theft, drug convictions, assault, etc. will keep you on the U.S. side of the border.
If you can prove that you are at least 50% Native American (or First Nations) and descended from a population that, traditionally, occupied both sides of the border, you can cross the border freely and live or work in either country regardless of your criminal history.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 AM

Ursa22 come on now... I've been to Canada 12 times.... I have a DUI all I did is flash my passport and ID and away I go.

Do you really think that Canada Border Patrol can run back ground checks on everyone?

LOL that is so comical, I want my 30 seconds back that I spent writing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota