Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,766 times

Advertisements

Three months ago I was excited that my hubby would have a good opportunity to go there with a cdl permit and get a job with no problem. Then in a sec it seemed to not be the case after companies were not taking on newbies as much. Is this still the case or has it mellowed out? Haven't seen anyone putting the warnings as much here.

My hubby is starting his cdl training now and I was surfing a truckers forum and surprised to see all the excitment I use to see here shift to Texas. Most newbies I saw there were going to Texas oilfields and making big money and working a lot of hours. It was sort of weird to see that and noone mentioned housing problems or crowds of people looking for work.
What is the work search in ND like now for newbies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
A CDL seems to be important now days. So many people are applying for jobs that the companies can be selective. I know a couple guys from Minnesota who interviewed at several places this past fall, and they were just called out and offered jobs at Halliburton. Neither had CDL's. Both are being sent to trucking school, but not sure how/why they were selected out of many who applied. They are excited and will be starting in about a month. But they said it took a few months to get a call back. Not sure how it all works. I'm guessing this spring it will be in full swing and gangbusters again. Supposed to be a huge year for construction as well.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,766 times
Roloff that is good to know. It would be great to be there at right time but can never say when that'd be, lol. Really need to beat that spring rush but have to be patient......

Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM

49 posts, read 80,950 times
My husband had a very hard time finding a no experience job in Williston with a CDL permit. Luckily because of some awesome people we met in ND, he got hired. He started training about a month ago with a big company and is soon taking his test for the CDL license. He's not going to even be driving a truck really.

Also recently saw an article about guys coming out here with nothing and having no luck.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM

80 posts, read 272,152 times
I sure wouldn't go with no experience and no CDL. There is always the construction trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: