Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 PM

73 posts, read 94,738 times

Advertisements

Ok so a little about myself as i think it may help. I am a 31 year old prior wildland firefighter,alaskan fisher, army vet and computer tech. I am from Oregon originally but live in colorado right now. I hike alot and do alot of outdoors stuff so outdoors issue aint an issue

So now onto why i am posting this lol. I know during warm times and such hiring may be tougher and i completely expect that. I am planning on pretty much getting dropped off in a spot by my truckdriving brother then just trying to survive till i can get a job. I dont care if a company has housing or not as i expect to live out of a tent and have experience with that being a firefighter. Any previous wildland FF will knwo what i am talking about. Also in Army i was infantry so it is easy for me. I know alot of people have said they went up thyfor a week then went back down but honestly i dont have the cash for that kind of venture and i have time off as my current job in taxes end april. I have two boys that i need to take care of and no work worth it with child support here so i am down to do whatever oil work there is to get my foot in the door. I am used to working long hours and only sleeping 3-4 hours a day before doing it all again for 30+ days if need be. My longest shift was close to 46 hours on a boat before lol. So i guess what i am asking from anyone is just some simple advice on coming up there with kind of start in mind. I looked on some job sites and i qualify for IT work up there but just dont think it would pay as much as an oil rig work but in the end if that is what i have to take so be it. I LOVE to work with my hands and such so rig work looks fun. While I am up there i am taking my GI bill cert to see about maybe some college courses if need be such as Field hand schooling. Any advice would be helpful. And by all means i really dont care if they have housing or not as i just want experience as i have none in the oil field currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 PM

l should probably mention i plan on moving up to the williston area

Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 AM

also as an added thing i have my license and such but no car (lost it in divorce). i am used to walking 3-9 miles if need be and such

Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 AM

443 posts, read 806,334 times
Here's a link to Williston State College if you want to take advantage of the GI bill for education/training.
WSC-Williston State College Home

Old 02-04-2012, 01:55 AM

Thank you for the info.I may just pay for student housing and do some school while I check out everything. But even if I have to love in a tent I've done it before in the high cascades for a full year just for fun. Plus spent alot off time outside sleeping as a firefighter. Does anyone know anyone who has done what I proppose to do? I know it ain't the best route but i'm a stubborn persistent person lol. Any insight from tenters would be awesome.and thank you

Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 AM

After reading more and more I do want to put it out that i'm coming up there because I like hard work that can support my two boys. I don't do drugs or drink. I have not even a speeding ticket on my record. I know there its alot of bad feelings towards us outsiders aand I was raised no matter you always show respect.especially when your in someone elses home . I plan on treating people the only way I know how.....respectfully......hope this help with 48 views and only one reply lol

Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 AM

80 posts, read 272,152 times
Have you looked at the Britton, Colorado area? There is a lot of oil play going on there and it's closer to home.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Several members have said that they were going up there and going to live in a tent. We don't know how that is working out because none of them have ever logged on again. Lack of power for computer, froze to death, didn't go, no idea what happened.

Living in the Cascades and being infantry or even Fire Fighting, probably wouldn't compare to -30° F and then the constant winds that hit 40+ will give a windchil of -70° F or worse. There are no craigs, or draws, or partial caves to get out of the wind. You are out on the prairie for the most part.

The other problem is finding someplace to put up a tent. A lot of the RV parks are not going to allow it for liability reasons. They might, but I doubt it. Possibly be a private party might allow it but then you won't have bathroom/shower available.

I would definately opt for student housing and getting some college credits started. You would have plenty of time to scope out the situation and you would be living, and eating, pretty comfortably.

I camp during the winter but I use a wall tent with a wood stove inside and I'm getting too old to be doing that much anymore. It will make an old man out of you quick and that's with a supply of wood handy. In Williston you'd have to travel a hundred miles or so to find enough trees you could cut down for firewood.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM

80 posts, read 272,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Several members have said that they were going up there and going to live in a tent. We don't know how that is working out because none of them have ever logged on again. Lack of power for computer, froze to death, didn't go, no idea what happened.

Living in the Cascades and being infantry or even Fire Fighting, probably wouldn't compare to -30° F and then the constant winds that hit 40+ will give a windchil of -70° F or worse. There are no craigs, or draws, or partial caves to get out of the wind. You are out on the prairie for the most part.

The other problem is finding someplace to put up a tent. A lot of the RV parks are not going to allow it for liability reasons. They might, but I doubt it. Possibly be a private party might allow it but then you won't have bathroom/shower available.

I would definately opt for student housing and getting some college credits started. You would have plenty of time to scope out the situation and you would be living, and eating, pretty comfortably.

I camp during the winter but I use a wall tent with a wood stove inside and I'm getting too old to be doing that much anymore. It will make an old man out of you quick and that's with a supply of wood handy. In Williston you'd have to travel a hundred miles or so to find enough trees you could cut down for firewood.
Sounds like western Kansas to me. Lots of wind and no trees.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Well the cold is the reason i'm coming up in the spring lol.that and a previous commitment to my current job. I can use sterno for Fire as I would only user it for cooking, not heat . Was only saying i've done the tent thing before. Ain't anything new to me. Has anyone here done the field hand class by chance here that can talk about it? And even of I had to put up with cold temps it is totally worth it imo. Nothing ever worth it is easy lol. I'm totally dedicated to the idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota