Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times

Advertisements

Denny's closes from what the owner said is trouble finding enough employees.
Very surprised to hear that here locally....

Denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 AM

454 posts, read 940,020 times
Is the giant sucking lure of the oil field vacuum pulling from the Grand Forks workforce, or is there something else going on with this particular restaurant? According to the article, there were 5 other restaurants that opened within the last year and they have managed to find staff, so it makes me wonder. Minot is really struggling to staff restaurants and fast food joints. Olive Garden is a great example. They opened in November of 2011 to great fanfare, lost a bunch of their staff within weeks. Last I heard, they were at least 20 people short. Why?

I think it's good in a way what is happening to the restaurant industry in Minot and other towns and cities to the west. Most of them pay minimum wage (actually less, about $4.87/hr) to their servers and the servers rely on tips to make ends meet. If a restaurant has issues between management and staff, the staff can simply pull up stakes and move to another competitor where the base pay is the same, tips are running the same and not put up with bad managers.

It happened to one of the truck stops in Minot late in the summer/early fall of 2011. Within weeks, they lost all but 2 of their servers - they all went where the grass was greener, and management knew how to actually manage, because now the servers have a choice of restaurants to work in.

Not saying the Denny's in GF is suffering from bad management - it just makes me wonder what's up, since other eateries have found staff.

Last edited by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska; 02-07-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: corrected server wage

Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Is the giant sucking lure of the oil field vacuum pulling from the Grand Forks workforce, or is there something else going on with this particular restaurant? According to the article, there were 5 other restaurants that opened within the last year and they have managed to find staff, so it makes me wonder. Minot is really struggling to staff restaurants and fast food joints. Olive Garden is a great example. They opened in November of 2011 to great fanfare, lost a bunch of their staff within weeks. Last I heard, they were at least 20 people short. Why?

I think it's good in a way what is happening to the restaurant industry in Minot and other towns and cities to the west. Most of them pay minimum wage to their servers and the servers rely on tips to make ends meet. If a restaurant has issues between management and staff, the staff can simply pull up stakes and move to another competitor where the base pay is the same, tips are running the same and not put up with bad managers.

It happened to one of the truck stops in Minot late in the summer/early fall of 2011. Within weeks, they lost all but 2 of their servers - they all went where the grass was greener, and management knew how to actually manage, because now the servers have a choice of restaurants to work in.

Not saying the Denny's in GF is suffering from bad management - it just makes me wonder what's up, since other eateries have found staff.
I was thinking the same thing. I never been there and certainly have no inside info....but we arent quite in that mode as the western cities are in terms of employees. We do have a growing college university to drawn from. I wouldnt doubt it was other factors....often it is. The Applebees closing in East Grand Forks wasnt due to lack of traffic but was due to lease issues with the city of EGF as they owned the building.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Even down here where I live, the local McDonalds cannot get workers. A lot of kids use McDonalds as a part time job during highschool but then move on once they graduate.

So, the owner of McDonalds decided to fix it. He signed up to Sponser Foreign workers. Bosnia, Phillipeans, etc. These folks want to immigrate to the US and if they can find a sponser, that's the first step. So he sponsers the foreign workers on the condition that they work for him for a minimum of 1 year. He furnishes them a home, transportation and all the hours they want. As such, he no longer has a staffing problem. Some stay after their 1 year, but most move on.

I'm with the post above me, is there something wrong with that particular restaurant? Seems odd.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Tho, who knows how long the new hires are staying at the other places? Denny's is kinda same-old same-old. Probably everyone's looking to try working for the 'new guys'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota