Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM

37 posts, read 73,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
My point exactly.
This isn't some big city. This isn't even a small city...

I got you... and I hear you... It is what it is I guess though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 PM

443 posts, read 806,334 times
You will not be bored working as a cop on Standing Rock. The two "surges" worked about like they did in Afghanistan- the local bad actors patiently await a troop withdrawal and go back to business as usual.
I have many relatives on Standing Rock and grew up on similar reservations.

I'll share a personal anecdote-
Several years ago I was transferred to Chicago, Illinois at a time when crack cocaine had a grip on the city and the murder rate was very high.
My job entailed picking up piggy back trailers at rail yards throughout Chicagoland at night. Most of the rail yards were near high crime public housing projects. Co-workers repeatedly warned me about the dangers involved and the shenanigans the locals involved themselves in. Honestly, the warnings had me thinking that I was in for it- I was getting nervous.
After a few nights of the rail yards, I realized that the public housing dwellers were rank amateurs compared with many of the guys that I grew up with.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM

37 posts, read 73,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
You will not be bored working as a cop on Standing Rock. The two "surges" worked about like they did in Afghanistan- the local bad actors patiently await a troop withdrawal and go back to business as usual.
I have many relatives on Standing Rock and grew up on similar reservations.

I'll share a personal anecdote-
Several years ago I was transferred to Chicago, Illinois at a time when crack cocaine had a grip on the city and the murder rate was very high.
My job entailed picking up piggy back trailers at rail yards throughout Chicagoland at night. Most of the rail yards were near high crime public housing projects. Co-workers repeatedly warned me about the dangers involved and the shenanigans the locals involved themselves in. Honestly, the warnings had me thinking that I was in for it- I was getting nervous.
After a few nights of the rail yards, I realized that the public housing dwellers were rank amateurs compared with many of the guys that I grew up with.
Thanks for the reply. Anything you could share about Standing Rock in particular?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menoch View Post
Thanks for the reply. Anything you could share about Standing Rock in particular?
I'll pm you.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I know nothing first hand about living on reservations. I know only what folks have shared that have lived there, worked there. I moved to N.D. from Calif. in 81'. There where I grew up almost all the people of I knew were either mixed race or someone in their family was mixed involving Native American. When I first moved to N.D. I was shocked at the prejudice, it is not often openly discussed, but it is alive and well, and from what I have observed...mutual prejudice. It breaks my heart, as a 60's teen, I was aware of the discrimination of Blacks, and some obvious discrimination of Mexicans where I grew up in Calif.....but it was as an adult here in N.D. 20 years later that I saw such blatant hostility one race towards another. It is still so imo

Last edited by JanND; 02-22-2012 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Default Native Americans over represented in ND prison population

Native Americans are overrepresented in North Dakota prisons | Prison Policy Initiative

Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Jan, I don't know what happened to him.
We called the hospital at Ft. Yates but this was relatively recent. HIPPA laws were already in effect so they couldn't tell us anything.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
That is so sad. I am always sad about the conditions on reservations, we as Americans should not be allowing third world conditions to exist in our country. Whether it is a slum in N.Y. or a reservation in S. D. I am ashamed of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota