Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 AM

17 posts, read 42,124 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Hoping to connect with a local for some advice.
We are looking at homes in Pembina, Lidgerwood, and Lankin and a few other towns.
My concern is, jobs..
Indiana has really went downhill on jobs last few years. If a job opens up, at least 500+ people are fighting for it.
How is the job situation over there?
I'm just a laid off maintenance man/service tech.. Wife is an office admin.
Is there work for folks like us? All I am seeing people talk about is oil field jobs.
I just don't want to jump into things blind.
We're already poor folks here, we figure we can be poor folks anywhere.. Why not ND
Looking for a place to live simple, and get old with the wife is all..
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homershouse View Post
Hi all,
Hoping to connect with a local for some advice.
We are looking at homes in Pembina, Lidgerwood, and Lankin and a few other towns.
My concern is, jobs..
Indiana has really went downhill on jobs last few years. If a job opens up, at least 500+ people are fighting for it.
How is the job situation over there?
I'm just a laid off maintenance man/service tech.. Wife is an office admin.
Is there work for folks like us? All I am seeing people talk about is oil field jobs.
I just don't want to jump into things blind.
We're already poor folks here, we figure we can be poor folks anywhere.. Why not ND
Looking for a place to live simple, and get old with the wife is all..
Thanks
I live in the Grand Forks area and the towns you mentioned homes can be gotten pretty cheaply compared to the larger cities. Job wise in those very small towns will be difficult and likely will need to look for work in some of the larger cities... Bobcat in Gwinner (in the county west of Lidgerwood) does hire and has recently expanded... also Marvin Windows near Grafton (east of Lankin) hires....Simplot is in Grand Forks (potato processing) as well as American Crystal Sugar is hiring at all plants (lockout of union workers in the process) plants in Drayton....East Grand Forks...Hillsboro and Moorhead.

Job service is a good place to look for listings Job Service North Dakota.... also the local Grand Forks Herald and Fargo Forum papers have a job HQ section on-line. Search Results | JobsHQ

You can try that for starters to see what is out there near the area you are looking at. It is cheaper to live in rural areas but you will commute in for work most often, unless it is farm-related.

The areas you mentioned are not close to oil country....so no oil jobs in this part of the state.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:10 AM

Thank you very much,
This forum is great for folks like us wanting to relocate.
I know a lot of the people up in Pembina work at the border, but the rest of the rural town, would be a change of pace. As long as we could find work, it would be a welcome change.
Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,543 times
Hi my name is Travis. I own a 2007 peterbiult and I am interested in buying a 3 axle belly dump. Where can i put it to work in ND? What kind of money can i expect. My email is tktransport14@gmail.com

Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,481 times
Quote:
Thank you very much,
This forum is great for folks like us wanting to relocate.
I know a lot of the people up in Pembina work at the border, but the rest of the rural town, would be a change of pace. As long as we could find work, it would be a welcome change.
Thanks again.
The weather may be more of a change than you anticipated. It can be extremely cold in NE ND.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Well, I used to drive truck years ago in my 20's, and when looking at places to relocate to, I made a list of my favorite paces I went while driving.
ND, MN, WI, NY and so on. I remember how cold it was up there, but I also remember how nice the the people were. I always felt at home there. But yeah it was dead middle of winter, and it was frozen nose hairs cold..

Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 PM

49 posts, read 82,033 times
Quote:
Hi all,

last job I tried for I was 1 of like 10K people...

with them odds, you got a better shot of hitting the lotto.

if you find something.. I may follow

Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 AM

I moved out of Anderson 8 years ago, and things were getting bad back then, I imagine things have gotten a lot worst since then, especially after 08-09. But researching the whole country, looking for places to relocate, it's bad everywhere. Folks who have a good job, are hanging on to them, folks who are looking for a good pay check with insurance, have been looking a long time. But listen to the talking heads on TV, and they are just lazy and don't want to work.. Makes me shake my head in disbelief..
Good luck with your search.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,546 times
Quote:
I moved out of Anderson 8 years ago, and things were getting bad back then, I imagine things have gotten a lot worst since then, especially after 08-09. But researching the whole country, looking for places to relocate, it's bad everywhere. Folks who have a good job, are hanging on to them, folks who are looking for a good pay check with insurance, have been looking a long time. But listen to the talking heads on TV, and they are just lazy and don't want to work.. Makes me shake my head in disbelief..
Good luck with your search.
I know it is kind of like don't pass judgement until you have walked in my shoes! So many people don't understand when they are or have not gone through something like this. They just can't comprehend or have compasion for someone in a different situation. I really hope that things will start changing around faster for the rest of the country and world.

Good luck on the search. DaninGF gave some good points as he lives closer to the areas. For the western side it's same as stated many times on this forum. Tons of jobs that would work for both of you, but the housing is the kicker.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM

33 posts, read 122,273 times
There is quite a bit of opportunity in northeastern North Dakota, minus the housing problems in the west. I'm not sure what you serviced and maintained before, but there a few manufacturing outfits, ag dealers, auto repair shops, and elevators that would love to hire someone who's good with a wrench.

What kind of town are looking for? Is there anything special that attracts to Pembina and Lankin? Are you looking for the small town life or are there jobs there you're interested in?

Either way, once you decide where you want to live, you and your wife shouldn't have much trouble finding work. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota