Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM

192 posts, read 497,234 times

Advertisements

I just got an interesting call from a guy out here in the fields....

He's been here 2 years... and he says that drilling companies are picky on how old you are due to the tough nature of the job.

So the question is.... how old is too old to try and get an entry level oilfield job?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM

175 posts, read 459,767 times
I'd suggest doing a forum search.... it's in here. That said my father just got one of his AARP magazines which has an article about North Dakota. I read it quick ,i.e. missing some facts like as what kind of job these folks have, but apparently they are inexperienced, 50+ y/o working on the rigs getting $25/hr.

The whole article seems to be flying in the face of what is said on multiple forums though.

Probably depends on a lot of factors: prior experience, physical ability... if you are 55, all muscle @ 200 lbs, 5' 10" and say you've worked on the rigs before (or otherwise demonstrate stamina) I'm going to take a guess that you'd be in.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM

60 posts, read 94,950 times
From my experience in the non oil work it seems these days 40+ is old man. There is just a huge stream of young people and we live in a youth obsessed culture. Movies are made only for people 25 and under anymore. (can't find the source)
I am not 40 but it is scary to think you are considered old by then, better get some kind of skill ASAP to trump age. They like young people too, they are stupid and easier to manipulate. The old man has been around the block and is harder to bend over.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM

192 posts, read 497,234 times
I am not talking about skills. I am talking about Oil Field work.

Since I have been here everyone looks at my resume and wants me to work for them based on my SKILLS. I want to change careers.

The one person I didn't want to hear from, who automatically assumes I have no skills.

I'd rather not have Johnnie on the spot derail a thread yet again.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Scorpio....DM some of the regulars. Rickydink is here and got a job, housing and is now moving his wife here all in few weeks. There are others on here, plenty from what I've observed that could be over 40....Some of the managers are well over 40. Not sure these mention age related issues but these videos may have some insights. Truthfully, you may want to look at the various mancamps and use your skills. Then as you get to know folks, you can walk into a position from referrals most likely. Do a search of the many companies up here, and start knocking on doors. Believe me there are lots of folks that appreciate someone w/ some life experience.
Video's re: Oil Field jobs: Update from Ex-Oil Field Worker, #1-8, and multiple oil related videos...Good Info!
Interesting videos posted by couple of oil field job seekers...great info

Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM

80 posts, read 272,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanphilosophy View Post
From my experience in the non oil work it seems these days 40+ is old man. There is just a huge stream of young people and we live in a youth obsessed culture. Movies are made only for people 25 and under anymore. (can't find the source)
I am not 40 but it is scary to think you are considered old by then, better get some kind of skill ASAP to trump age. They like young people too, they are stupid and easier to manipulate. The old man has been around the block and is harder to bend over.
40 isn't old. I know a farmer that turned 101 this year and put his wheat out by himself.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM

60 posts, read 94,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafeeder View Post
40 isn't old. I know a farmer that turned 101 this year and put his wheat out by himself.

I'm sorry, I meant that it is viewed as old by soulless companies. I agree it isn't at all.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
I read that most there working in oilfields are in their twenties, but when I see the news on the oil boom and the short time I was there, I saw mostly men in their 40's and 50's. Even on those news specials the ones interviewed that got jobs fast were older gentlemen. Not sure exact statistics though, or from the inside of companies there.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
I am not talking about skills. I am talking about Oil Field work.

Since I have been here everyone looks at my resume and wants me to work for them based on my SKILLS. I want to change careers.
We have a good friend who worked on a rig in the ND patch for the last 7 years. Ie. he was well past a "worm."
This past summer he decided he was too old to work on rigs anymore and went back to cowboying. He's 29 and has worked physically demanding jobs his entire life.

From what I've heard, you're unlikely to get an entry-level job on a rig if you're over 40. Under that is more a question of what kind of shape you're in. That's why a lot of guys are driving trucks, IMO. They're making similar money, but they're either too old to be hired, or too old to WANT to be hired, on a rig.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM

98 posts, read 341,435 times
Fred your buddy walked away from a driller job? Im looking forward to this im 31 but I feel like im 21 I still practice/teach bjj, run sprints, hiking push ups. Been years since my last mma fight but im conditioning myself the same way. From what I've been reading these rigs send you to a clinic for fitness test and test your strength and at the end check your resting heart rate to see what kind of shape you are in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota