Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrone10011 View Post
one more item for discussion. My camper is only 19 ft for me & hubby & abby (shih tzu). I am feeling crowed already and I haven't started working. To do one thing you have to rearrange 3 other things...and then put 4 things back. We pay 600 for lot rent. My thoughts are trade up for a bigger camper (ours is paid for 2010) and stay here. Payments with our trade in would be 200+ a few a month. Total month would be around 800. Or do we rent a house. Your suggestions will be helpful.
There are a few things to give yourself room. I had an awning installed. Then I bought a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet the size of the awning. I put the awning out and then the carpet under it. I moved a picnic table up on it, put my bar-b-q on it, put a tarp on one end to block wind. That became my area to set and relax in the evening. It made it very livable to be able to get out of the cramped confines of the trailer.

I started getting cabin fever and my bumper pull trailer was 35 ft long. But it seemed like a tunnel. So I traded up to a 37 ft 5th wheel with one super slide out (dining area and couch as one slideout) Then, up in the 5th wheel portion was the bedroom. The queen sized bed was a slideout. Talk about room. For the first year I complained about having too much room and it was hard to keep clean. hahaha

Trading up is not a bad idea. If you get the right make and model and size, you are much better off than having an apartment. At least with a 5th wheel or bumper pull, you can move around more. So if your job moves you to another town for 6 months, hook on and go.

I much prefered living in an RV. It's no different than having an apartment and is actually better as the people you run into at an RV Park are the friendliest people you will find. That is because they know neighbors come and go so they don't waste time getting to know you. They move in and within a day they are over shaking your hand and introducing themselves. In an apartment, you might be lucky to meet your neighbor in the first year.

Personally, I would go to a dealer and see what they have to offer. You might find a very nice rig. Plus, RV's are compact so they use every inch to your advantage. You get where everything is very handy and easy to work with.

One thing I did when I went to a 5th wheel and the dining room was a slide out. I got a rig that the dining room was NOT a booth, but instead was a table and 4 chairs. Little things like that make it nice because you can socialize and be more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 AM

53 posts, read 323,183 times
Elk Hunter I swear you read my mind.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Just one question I was told it is windy here (ND) to use your awning?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Just one question I was told it is windy here (ND) to use your awning?
Matter of opinion. I went through two hurricanes in Charleston, went through several wind storms and violent thunderstorms in Dallas, never put my awning up.

You need deflappers. Package says one on each side. I used two on each side. Also, the awning can be set up two ways. 1) is to leave the legs attached to the rig and they stick out at about a 45 degree angle. 2) unclip it and swing the leg out so it stands straight up and down.

I used method 2. You know the dog pivots that look like a big cork screw? You screw it into the ground so it will tether a dog on a chain or cable? I went out a foot from the base of the awning leg and screwed one in the ground. Then I put a ratchet strap from the top of the awning frame (top of let) down to that dog tie and ratcheted it down tight.

With that, I noticed a minor problem. When the wind blew, it kind of knocked, or jared the trailer and it was the wind working on the awning. So I took the ratchet strap off and I put a spring (10 inches long, 3 inch around, pretty stout) on the dog tie and then run the ratchet strap from the top of the spring to the top of the awning leg and ratcheted it down to where I was expanding the spring. This took that jaring away and it no longer woke me up in the middle of the night.

Sure, there are some winds that will make you want to put up the awning, but if you set it up right, you can take 35-40 mph winds and won't even bother the awning.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:27 AM

54 posts, read 114,463 times
Thing have been going well for me and the wife she has afew face to face interviews next week the holiday has jamed things up a bit . Really enjoying the weather 40 fells like 29 brrrrr the wind is really somthing.
If anybody is interested there is a job fair on april 10th for consruction work at 3416 n broadway job services in minot at 4 pm.

Happy easter
a&k

Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Ok update...life in a 19th camper with hubby and Abby dog...cooking a nice dinner for hubby and me and while i am dicing and slicing I pour a glass of red wine to let breathe for dinner...being the wine connoisser that I am...continue to add dishes to the sink...you know how us gourmet cooks use bowls and utensils...anyhow I finally have my dish ready to put in the oven...I think ummm drink of wine...I look there is my glass sideways...I think...gee I thought I washed it out and filled it up...I did...the wine is all over the bed clothes...anyhow the bright side is there wasn't anyone in the laundry and I had one glass of wine left...The moral of the story is "if I keep on drinking wine I think I will switch to a sippy cup, and maybe just buy frozen dinners. Happy Blessed Easter Everyone.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM

I have my big interview tomorrow the one we came to ND for. I have been applying to everything though. I have had a few calls, mostly inquiries....would you consider working for 20,000 a year? I actually turned down an awesome job (I think) because of this interview tomorrow. My husband and I are very lucky we have the camper to keep us warm and wifi available but we are still going through the pains of relocation, weather, cramped living, etc. But I still have to say I am grateful for the change.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I have my big interview tomorrow the one we came to ND for.
I went to the interview door was locked I was early so I waited and then gave a call....he forgot...he has been very busy. 2nd interview that now has to be rescheduled.

What do you think everybody? I have had another job offer which requires alot of shuffling around (New Town) but it is a good offer do I take it, do I wait for the interview or do I stay in Minot and hold out for a job here? Just want to hear some great advice.

Husband has lots of people to call today for interviews he worked for the day labor company yesterday and was supposed to be home in time for the job fair but the guy he rode out with that was leaving a 5:30 left without him, so I took his resume and went to the construction job fair and was his spokes person. Everyone was really nice to me and genuinely
interested. He got 4 "he must call me tomorrow"s. Yea, hubby!!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-11-2012 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote marks

Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Well, if your job is the primary, then take the one that is for sure. If your hubby's job possibilities are primary, then He should follow up w/ the leads you got for him yesterday. You would enjoy Minot better long term, mush more to do there than New Town, imo. If you have the time, take a run over to New Town, then decide. And, good job w/ going to the job fair in your Husband's place....that's the way to do it here.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 PM

I really believe Minot is "The Magic City" My husband did really well with the interviews I went to yesterday...I think he found a really good job. With my husband suggestion of researching a different position I have a very good interview tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota