Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,477 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there are any locals thinking of moving out of this rat race? I know I do because I miss what this area used to be. Quiet, pretty, relaxing scenery is what it used to be, but now it's a death race down the road, garbage filled ditches, and crazy price gouging. Don't get me wrong, I mean I still like the area and the people, new and old. However, I am a nature girl by heart and love being out camping, fishing, hunting whatever. I just think of getting another place out of state because I know it will never be the same on the western part of the state.

There are many leaving already, moving out of state to SD or WY, Bismarck and other towns away from the western side. I just don't know sometimes though, the work is here of course, I am making good money myself, but I am not afraid of finding work other places. I used to work online and could again if I wanted.

Any others thinking of moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM

154 posts, read 412,871 times
I'm not. Western ND is home for me and my family, has been for generations. I do know quite a few who have either moved or are seriously considering it and I don't necessarily blame them. What I have changed is my involvement with local government. I'm tired of listening to people just gripe about things with no intention of doing something about it. The boom is here and I don't believe it's going anywhere for a while so all we can do is grab the reins and try to control what we can. Me and mine will still be here when this levels out and things get back to some semblance of normal, although I don't suppose it will ever be the same.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
Cinj, I agree with your vision of western North Dakota. Williston is crazey right now, but in the end, it will be a bigger and better town. I see they are breaking ground on Sand Creek Retail Center in April. The paper today said Menards' and the new 14plex movie theater are the first committed to this retail center. (Valu Place on their website also indicates they are building 2 more hotels there). Williston will grow and get more retail, housing, restaraunts, medical , etc... you guys are on a roller coaster ride right now, but when it slows down, it will be a different and better town in the end. Those people who love Williston, will keep the spirit and soul of the old Williston alive.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 PM

154 posts, read 412,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Cinj, I agree with your vision of western North Dakota. Williston is crazey right now, but in the end, it will be a bigger and better town. I see they are breaking ground on Sand Creek Retail Center in April. The paper today said Menards' and the new 14plex movie theater are the first committed to this retail center. (Valu Place on their website also indicates they are building 2 more hotels there). Williston will grow and get more retail, housing, restaraunts, medical , etc... you guys are on a roller coaster ride right now, but when it slows down, it will be a different and better town in the end. Those people who love Williston, will keep the spirit and soul of the old Williston alive.
I think it's going to be okay. I don't go to Williston any more than I have to and never have The last boom brought in a lot of good people who stuck around and I think this one will too. We just have to ride it out. That said, I don't think bigger and better is better but it'll be alright We are nothing if not adaptable.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 AM

One thing positive about the oil boom is the new families coming into the area. I have met a lot of nice people that have been a joy getting to know. I guess I am more for clean scenery and outdoor activities and that will never be the same around the Bakken area. I would lie if I said I never thought of moving, but I have lived here all my life, raised in the Grassy Butte area. It just seems like most everyone local I talk to wants to get the hell out of here, lol, I guess idle chit chat and wistful for the good old days because I can't really see them moving either.

Last edited by Broncogirl; 03-12-2012 at 01:53 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
While I am not for big city life, lol, I do think that new stores, the movie complex, a new rec center, more activities in general will help the mood around this area. Right now it's balls to the wall working for everyone and nothing really to relax with for activities.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
A possible alternative:Traill County Economic Development Commission :: Welcome Traill

Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM

454 posts, read 940,173 times
We have recently (within the last year) started to talk about what our options are as far as moving away from the area. The boom hasn't hit in our area with full force yet, but we dread it already. We have looked into a few other areas of the country, but we have differing opinions on where we geographically would like to end up . It would also depend on how much we would be able to ask for our property, when and if we decide to actually do this.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
We have recently (within the last year) started to talk about what our options are as far as moving away from the area. The boom hasn't hit in our area with full force yet, but we dread it already. We have looked into a few other areas of the country, but we have differing opinions on where we geographically would like to end up . It would also depend on how much we would be able to ask for our property, when and if we decide to actually do this.
LOL, I know it, I don't think I will get my daughters to actually leave this area until they graduate school anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Interesting site, looks like they got a plan in place and want to welcome people into that area.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Yep, They are hoping to attract the folks that want to get out of Williston and Dickinson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota