Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 AM

112 posts, read 316,500 times

Advertisements

Wow! Great info for all of us still looking out here. Glad to know the storms did not affect y'all last night other than rain, looks like it got a little rough in South TX. Headed to a job fair in Ft Worth today and still waiting to hear back from company that did drug screen and background check. Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath! Don't have any issues to worry about but it has just been such a hard road that I don't want to count on it until I have signed the papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM

155 posts, read 748,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordNativenowSeattle View Post
No we aren't part of the drill crew; and we don't always run jobs on site.

ie.. The job might be too drop a Rack of tanks on site; that's all and you head back to the yard..

Then there's a job to dump waste cement in powder form. Now your off to the land fill another 1hr away.

Then there is the work on site; I just completed 13hr day Monday and 21hrs this Sunday till 10pm today... It was a two stage job; nothing big... I work Bulk so I just bring supplies and run a pots.. "Pots are the 660's on the halliburton site" Too Start the week I got 34hrs already...

We had dropped off a 4 pot rack a day ago at this same site; and I managed to get the job when they wanted to pour the cement.

This is how the job went...

I get there fire up the pump and pressurize the tanks full of cement so that the cement will feed from 1 tube too the cementers truck. I then help him setup some pipes to the oilwell; that's the only time I set foot on the rig itself. Which only takes 1-2 hours to setup.

I then pump the cement for stage 1 to the cementers truck; they are your service supervisors.
Perks for Cementers;
They get a company Truck; and there own Yard Cement truck. 1 driver assigned too assist you and, He's trng to be a cementer.

I'm a COA I; we just move the stuff there and Assist with the jobs.. After stage one I hop in the truck and catch 4hrs of sleep.. I wake up for stage 2 and run out the rest of the pots... Help him rig down the pipe and load up to go back to the yard...

This is a 10-12 hr job; it turned into almost 22... The rain came and the 80K Pound Cement Truck got stuck leading the way off the site.. There's only one road leading out of the drill site.

6 hrs later the Cat Showed up to pull the Truck out the ditch; and I went back. Ohh the mud makes things tougher in the field lol.
The pipes get heavier lol... Though the physical work was only 4hrs total; I got 20+ on that one site all billed too the Company Man .....

Toys Onsite

If your a COA like myself; and I can only speak too this; I watched Netflix the whole time for about 7hrs while that Truck was stuck in the ditch on the Service Road... I also watched after the initial setup. This was on a Verizon phone lol.. I got it for that reason it works great you get atlest 3g so you can watch a movie.. Ipads are popular also with our guys.

Also you don't have to come to the yard every morning; they will call you out for the jobs. When you get done with your job; drive back too the yard you go back into position if your the first back you get slot 1... Your the second you get slot 2 and so on. Jobs go out in that order. There isn't a shortage of hours or jobs. Though you might not catch one till 8pm; and then you get back 36hrs later like I just did and was paid for 34 of them...

Hope that helps going to bed now before a call comes in or something lol... Good Night...
Thank you so very, very much RockfordNativenowSeattle. I know that you are a very busy man, and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide to me once again with some AWESOME and GREAT detailed information to my questions that I had previously. I’m liking this Cement Operator Assistant job more and more , based on all that you are sharing with me.

COOL!!! In regards to having Netflix. I never thought about that, yet that is an excellent way to kill your paid time. WOO! HOO!

Please know that all of your AWESOME and thoroughly detailed post are always so very greatly appreciated, and thank you so very much for taking the time to do so. You take good care of yourself (i.e. be safe) and don’t work too hard ;-)

Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoND2work View Post
Wow! Great info for all of us still looking out here. Glad to know the storms did not affect y'all last night other than rain, looks like it got a little rough in South TX. Headed to a job fair in Ft Worth today and still waiting to hear back from company that did drug screen and background check. Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath! Don't have any issues to worry about but it has just been such a hard road that I don't want to count on it until I have signed the papers.
Good luck, MovingtoND2work. I do wish you well . I wish I was as far along as you in this process. However I'm still mulling over if I want to relocate to another state and work. Yet overall, I'm thinking more and more about Texas, because I think I might fair far better dealing with the weather in Texas (the summer heat and winter cold) than I could ND. Because unless I got a year-round "indoor" job in ND, I don't think I can do winter there.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 AM

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR: RockfordNativenowSeattle

RockfordNativenowSeattle, I have done some more digging to see what available COA jobs are currently listed in Texas. Halliburton has a couple COA jobs open, and I had a couple of questions about their ad.

Do you actually drive any of the trucks yourself? As they state in their ad “ A license to drive a commercial vehicle may be required. Due to this being a DOT position, a Class A CDL with HazMat endorsements is preferred.” Since I do not have a CDL and nor since I know how to drive a stick shift, I’m wondering will this hold me back (just being an assistant) you think?

Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 AM

90 posts, read 355,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWilson View Post
THIS MESSAGE IS FOR: RockfordNativenowSeattle

RockfordNativenowSeattle, I have done some more digging to see what available COA jobs are currently listed in Texas. Halliburton has a couple COA jobs open, and I had a couple of questions about their ad.

Do you actually drive any of the trucks yourself? As they state in their ad “ A license to drive a commercial vehicle may be required. Due to this being a DOT position, a Class A CDL with HazMat endorsements is preferred.” Since I do not have a CDL and nor since I know how to drive a stick shift, I’m wondering will this hold me back (just being an assistant) you think?
Your going to be required to pass the background check; which is a federal background check.

To make yourself more appealing to the companies your going to apply for; just get a CDL permit endorsement added to your current drivers license.

Go to your CA DMV website and download the pdf for the cdl hand book. Study General Knowledge, Combinations and Air-brake section. Pay the $10 or 15 depending on state take test and you get the endorsement.

This tells employers you can get a CDL. The HazMat send you too see the good ole federal government FBI background check. **** Don't do this till your hired and in the state that your going to work****

L-1 Corp does the fingerprinting and I suspect that its someone in the federal governments relative that owns it. I have no proof but; since I did mines in WA and didn't get the endorsement added guess what? The same company tells me that I have to pay another $89.00 because I'm in TX now. Its a racket to squeeze money out of people. Unbelievable you might say but 100% true.

I had to learn the hard way; someone told me that even if I had the endorsement I would only get 90 days; to do all over again. They are 100% accurate with this. The company will want you to change your license to the state there in for insurance purposes.

Plus while your in Training you will only be getting the 1200 to 1300 checks every dollar counts... You get reimbursed here at Halliburton but again if your working with limited funding like I was; again every dollar counts...

Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 AM

Hey there, RockfordNativenowSeattle. Thank you so very much for taking the time to quickly provide more AWESOME and detailed answers to my questions. I soooo greatly appreciate it. For sure, this is some priceless and valuable information that one needs to know, before trying to seriously apply for work at Haliburton. In addition to helping me, I sure hope this information will help others, needing or wanting to make a career change in their life . . . and work at Halliburton or another similar type company.

Thanks a MILLION for your help!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 13,256 times
I've been applying at Haliburton for the COA, Frac, etc.. anything and everything that's entry level, and I have gotten rejection emails every time. Anyone know of companies willing to hire less experienced people without a CDL?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:34 PM

Mentalmark, I was sorry to learn what you have been going through with Halliburton. That is why I’m taking notes like a madman, based on what RockfordNativenowSeattle has been so very kind and generous to provide, based on his own experiences of “getting into” and “working for” Halliburton.

In my case, since I live in Los Angeles, I am currently mulling over the idea of relocating out of state to seek gainful employment, since I have never worked out of state before. Yet I am trying to do some homework first about some of the jobs that are available in North Dakota, Texas, and Oklahoma . . . maybe even Minnesota. Since reading RockfordNativenowSeattle's original post about the COA position, I have seen those jobs listed on Monster.Com for North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Texas several days ago. Yet mainly, since this is all new to me, if I end up going for a COA position, I’m planning to follow all of the recommendations provided by RockfordNativenowSeattle, as what he has shared seems very logical, and the pre-application stuff seems very doable.

Out of curiosity, what are the reasons that Halliburton gave you for rejecting you? Just reading the job ads for Halliburton’s entry level jobs, they at least make it sound ideal for people starting from scratch trying to get their foot in their door, with optimism they one can work their way up in the company once they get hired. However with that being said, I do know that the jobs (with any company in general) can "claim” that they have an opening, but that opening may not be open or even exist at all, as they might just be looking to build up their applicant pool, so that they will readily have applications to work with “when” there is an opening and or when they are ready to hire (at any given time). Thus I guess is how some companies end up in that “We are only accepting applications, BUT we are not hiring right now.” mode.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 13,256 times
Unfortunately, you have not been chosen to move forward in the selection process at
this time. This decision was based on application review and/or your responses to
specific application questions.

I put in 14 applications at Haliburton. I have received about 8 rejection emails so far. I am a master at answering these questionnaires and I know exactly what they want to hear. I do not have a whole lot of job experience and no CDL, so that is why they don't want to take a chance on me. Now it's time to seek out another company because it is obvious Haliburton wants nothing to do with me.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 PM

90 posts, read 355,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmark View Post
Unfortunately, you have not been chosen to move forward in the selection process at
this time. This decision was based on application review and/or your responses to
specific application questions.

I put in 14 applications at Haliburton. I have received about 8 rejection emails so far. I am a master at answering these questionnaires and I know exactly what they want to hear. I do not have a whole lot of job experience and no CDL, so that is why they don't want to take a chance on me. Now it's time to seek out another company because it is obvious Haliburton wants nothing to do with me.
I would recommend you add CDL Permit Endorsement to your license, for what ever company you apply for in the yard.... Then you stick out from the 90%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota