Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM

155 posts, read 748,469 times

Advertisements

Here in Los Angeles, I do not look for employment on Craigslist. Froad, as you said “It's not uncommon on craigslist, for people to make phony ads, complete with a company's logo and all official looking.” I have come across too many scam job ads on Craigslist since I have been unemployed, so I haven’t looked for a job on Craigslist in at least 6 months. As far as I am concerned, those ads are a waste of time here in Los Angeles and SoCal. I prefer Monster.Com.

Scorpio125, when you say “I'm starting to think the party is over.” Could you elaborate a little more? As I am unclear as to the what you are referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM

122 posts, read 573,325 times
Not to put words in Scorpio's mouth, but they're probably referring to the "crazy oil rush" that's been going on during the last few years.

Relax people. Most companies have a temporary hiring freeze, for two very good reasons that happen every year in the early spring.

1. Load restrictions are in place on all paved roadways. This puts severe limits on all oil field activities. As the frost dissipates, the roadbeds dry out, and settle then it will be back to business. Right now, most trucks are parked, unless they have gravel road access.

2. Burn ban is in place throughout most of the Bakken. Every spring, the dead vegetation is exposed after the snow melts off. It takes a month or so, for green non-flammable vegetation to take its place, and put an end to the burn ban. This year, due to a lack of snow crushing down the tall dead grass/brush, the fire index is very high to extreme. When it is in the extreme category most construction and oil field activities are curtailed to permit use only. It is such a tinder box out there, soon only emergency personnel will be allowed on federal grasslands.

It will pass.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 PM

98 posts, read 341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
I'm starting to think the party is over.
Ditto

Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOAD View Post
Not to put words in Scorpio's mouth, but they're probably referring to the "crazy oil rush" that's been going on during the last few years.

Relax people. Most companies have a temporary hiring freeze, for two very good reasons that happen every year in the early spring.

1. Load restrictions are in place on all paved roadways. This puts severe limits on all oil field activities. As the frost dissipates, the roadbeds dry out, and settle then it will be back to business. Right now, most trucks are parked, unless they have gravel road access.

2. Burn ban is in place throughout most of the Bakken. Every spring, the dead vegetation is exposed after the snow melts off. It takes a month or so, for green non-flammable vegetation to take its place, and put an end to the burn ban. This year, due to a lack of snow crushing down the tall dead grass/brush, the fire index is very high to extreme. When it is in the extreme category most construction and oil field activities are curtailed to permit use only. It is such a tinder box out there, soon only emergency personnel will be allowed on federal grasslands.

It will pass.
Oh this is just GREAT Foad!!! They NEVER told us all this, in all of the news articles I have read thus far about Williston and the Oil Rush cities in ND. LOL!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWilson View Post
Oh this is just GREAT Foad!!! They NEVER told us all this, in all of the news articles I have read thus far about Williston and the Oil Rush cities in ND. LOL!!!
No one can tell anyone everything...what's w/ this sense of entitlement I see so often by some of the newer forum oil field job seekers?
No one can do it all for you. The research related to the Boom is here in the many threads. This forum should by no means replace the conventional wisdom of researching the job search engines, newspapers and websites of companies for your job lead information.
The most a person looking for work in the oil fields can expect is to be as prepared as possible, do your homework, heed the advice of the locals, fair warning about the "arm chair" philosophers.....If you apply and get a job, make sure you have housing. If you're driving up to try and park a RV, make sure you have somewhere to park, or a plan "b".

The rest is up to you. Some of it is pure luck, some of it is pure planning.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
No one can tell anyone everything...what's w/ this sense of entitlement I see so often by some of the newer forum oil field job seekers?
No one can do it all for you. The research related to the Boom is here in the many threads. This forum should by no means replace the conventional wisdom of researching the job search engines, newspapers and websites of companies for your job lead information.
The most a person looking for work in the oil fields can expect is to be as prepared as possible, do your homework, heed the advice of the locals, fair warning about the "arm chair" philosophers.....If you apply and get a job, make sure you have housing. If you're driving up to try and park a RV, make sure you have somewhere to park, or a plan "b".

The rest is up to you. Some of it is pure luck, some of it is pure planning.
JanNd, GREAT post. You are absolutely correct in all that you have shared, it makes perfectly good sense, and I do hope that the information that you have just shared, will help others.

In regards to my last post, it was all in good fun and I never meant anyone to take any of it seriously. LOL!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM

6 posts, read 36,054 times
Talking to a bunch of people on the street and all the same situation with no luck with the oil companies. I've stopped applying atm so I can get a CDL permit to increase my odds but im not giving up. One guy working behind the desk gave the best advice about it, dont get discouraged, once you apply just keep showing up and asking about your application. You've got nothing to lose, keep making your face known to them.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozing View Post
Talking to a bunch of people on the street and all the same situation with no luck with the oil companies. I've stopped applying atm so I can get a CDL permit to increase my odds but im not giving up. One guy working behind the desk gave the best advice about it, dont get discouraged, once you apply just keep showing up and asking about your application. You've got nothing to lose, keep making your face known to them.
Snoozing, in regards to the CDL, you may already know about this, but from what I have been reading about the Oil Rush in ND, along with seeing some of the oil patch job ads there, there are companies that require that the applicant have a CDL AND they must have had the CDL for at least one or more years.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 36,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWilson View Post
Snoozing, in regards to the CDL, you may already know about this, but from what I have been reading about the Oil Rush in ND, along with seeing some of the oil patch job ads there, there are companies that require that the applicant have a CDL AND they must have had the CDL for at least one or more years.
I know, but talking to the desk guy they get a lot of applications like mine with absolutely oil related experience, so I figure if I at least get a permit, it's something that makes the application slightly more attractive.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOAD View Post

It will pass.
I hope this was a joke. Burn ban slows down the oil patch? Uh...No. The load restriction is true but it's for all roads not just paved roads. Not too many paved roads in this oil patch. Don't believe everything you read. I think people aren't hiring because half the country has already flocked to nd. It will pick up and people will be hiring but right now.....it's kinda "slow".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota