Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,087 times

Advertisements

i don't think anyone will give two hoots about what your religion is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 35,529 times
In regards to bhaalspawn mentioning some people out of curiosity asking about jews
having horns on their head,that is funny because my father fought in the u.s. Army
during ww2,was injured twice,received two purple hearts,said to me that in the 1940's
some of the other soldiers asked him (since they never saw a jewish person before),
if he had horns on his head.i guess that was the 1940's and i don't recall him saying he
encountered anti-jewish sentiment as a soldier during the war.we are all americans !

Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,968 times
I know that you posted this some time ago. I just got interested in North Dakota and was interested in Jewish life and this site popped up. I joined so that I could become part of the narrative. I am not religious but am interested in having people who practice the same heritage as myself. (I really do not know how this site works yet, so if I make some silly mistakes, bear with me.) Thanks.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,858 times
My sister, wife and I are going to Minot late September to visit our daughter, her husband and grandson. We are from England, Jewish and our daughter's husband is with the USAF. I had great (Catholic) friends originally from Beach, ND, in fact, we are still in contact and plan on seeing our lovely friend, too.

To newjoisey. When it comes to Israel, we are rightwing and supporters of the old Likud. Yet, we belong to a liberal community, as we do not live in a particularly Jewish are not far from Cambridge, England, not Mass. So please don't be so judgemental. [Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: English only. Send them a DM in Hebrew if you want.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,071 times
Default Gay Jewish Alabamian

I wish to relocate to Grand Forks and or Thief River Falls, MN
However, I need to chat in detail to other either birth Guys or transplants.
I do attend TEMPLE every Friday night and would like to have more then 1 Jewish Gay friend

Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 PM

47 posts, read 89,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
People in ND could give a rip whether you are Jewish, Catholic, Lutheran, etc... no one asks about it or really cares. The only ones who get attention, are the people belonging to certain religions who come around to your house and try preach and push their beliefs on you. They are the ones who bring attention to themselves, and in turn, people tend to just think they are pests.
Exactly, I grew up in the upper Red River Valley, in Thief River Falls/Grand Forks area. Knew several Jewish families/kids my age, but where they went to services/temple, not sure. I do know there is at least one synagogue in Grand Forks and there was a really strong Jewish community way back when. Sorry, but I was raised a Norwegian Lutheran..

A side note; an extremely fascinating book I read last yr was the autobiography of a young Jewish immigrant in an arranged marriage. She immigrated to the states in the 1900-1910 range and homesteaded on the prairie, North of Devils Lake ND area in a tarpaper shack and burning buffalo dung for heat. What an incredible story of perseverance and regional history..

Anyways, I had to mention the book and I hope I help someone out with the info in GFK.

Rod

Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 PM

211 posts, read 519,278 times
I'm half Lutheran, and half Jewish. (Danish-Swedish Protestant origin). You'll be fine. If ND was majority Roman Catholic then there'd be a different story.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
If ND was majority Roman Catholic then there'd be a different story.
We agree that the Catholic Church treated Jews badly in the past, but you can't find any proof that Catholics are treating Jews badly now in the United States.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak7mm View Post
A side note; an extremely fascinating book I read last yr was the autobiography of a young Jewish immigrant in an arranged marriage. She immigrated to the states in the 1900-1910 range and homesteaded on the prairie, North of Devils Lake ND area in a tarpaper shack and burning buffalo dung for heat. What an incredible story of perseverance and regional history..

Anyways, I had to mention the book and I hope I help someone out with the info in GFK.

Rod
Thanks for the book recommendation. Sounds interesting. I looked it up and it's called Rachel Calof's story. It got good reveiws:

Rachel Calof's Story: Jewish Homesteader on the Northern Plains: Rachel Calof, J. Sanford Rikoon: 9780253209863: Amazon.com: Books

Old 09-25-2013, 09:21 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjoisey View Post
Well let's hope that in a nice conservative state such as North Dakota people are smart and will not have
religious bias against people such as myself whom are Jewish.I consider myself a right-winger who really detests

liberals.They give us Jews a bad name.Believe me,I cannot stand Barbara Boxer,Barbara Schultz-what-ever name from Florida,Charles Shumer from New York,
Barbara Walters,Barbara Streistand,and Al Franken from Minnesota.Jewish liberals make me sick.The Gentiles I hope
are aware of the many conservative,Jewish,pro-American radio talk show hosts here in America.There is Michael Savage,Mark Levin,and here in the New York City area Steve Maltzberg and Jeffrey Lichtman.Even though
Curtis Sliva (founder of the Guardian Angels) is non-Jewish I just made him a honorary member.
So, it's OK to be conservative if it's on your terms? As far as liberal Jews who give Jews a bad name, I would be more concerned with all the high powered, ultra-wealthy crooked bankers that enjoyed bailouts in NYC, as well as all the ambulance chasing lawyers (which contribute to driving up insurance rates) currently adverstising on TV with specific last names.

Also, keep in mind some of those so-called Jewish conservatives such as Michael Savage, now 71, have long been rumored to be ah, not so hetero. We know how you conservatives, believe in less government and less involvement with personal rights, limiting government intervention, etc, unless, of course, it means allowing SSM. In that situation, then of course, you care about telling others what they can and can't do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota