Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,739 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've come across this over at CNN.com, and was wondering how accurate this is. Namely:

Quote:
Aaron Pelton, the owner of Outlaws Bar & Grill in Watford, said his sales have been nearly doubling every year -- and it's only getting busier. Servers at his restaurant make about $25 an hour when tips are factored in, and kitchen staff employees make around $15 an hour.
[Mod cut]Can I really make $25 an hour waiting on tables or $15 working in the kitchen in the Bakken region? If so, would this help me in moving on up to driving trucks? I've heard that the only people who can get a job up there is if you know somebody. Is this how you get to know somebody? By serving them at restaurants? Advise would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-14-2012 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: New users cannot post links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminJ86 View Post
Ok, so I've come across this over at CNN.com, and was wondering how accurate this is. Namely:

[Mod cut]Can I really make $25 an hour waiting on tables or $15 working in the kitchen in the Bakken region? If so, would this help me in moving on up to driving trucks? I've heard that the only people who can get a job up there is if you know somebody. Is this how you get to know somebody? By serving them at restaurants? Advise would be appreciated, thanks.
There are stories of folks getting plenty of job offers while waiting on folks, at gas stations, or mini marts...and probably at resturants too. I know that one of the posters, scorpio125 posted a couple weeks ago that the mgr of Applebees came and literally begged for staff. He said he didin't care if they were only working until they got into an oil field job....they were desperate. McDonalds was offering 15hr last I heard. The problem is, there is no housing...and rents are outrageous. But, if you have family in that area, or a friend you could get a fast food job no problem.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,739 times
Do they actually require you to have housing? I thought pretty much everybody up there lived in there cars.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:49 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
If you are willing to live in your car, you can have a job the first day. You will need a place to stay by October.

Williston, Watford City, Sidney (Mt), Tioga, Stanley, Killdeer, Dickinson, Berthold, Minot are locations where restaurants are begging for people.

Further east in Fargo and grand forks, they are also hiring but at normal wages, but with apartments available. Ideally, work out west for the summer and then find an apartment further east for winter.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:55 PM

113 posts, read 230,793 times
I'm heading out soon....Hope these stories are true..

Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM

192 posts, read 497,316 times
Default Just today

Here's an example from this morning... this is at the family resturant in between subway and pizza hut... Not sure the name Dakota Farms I think...

Resturant Industry in Oil Rich ND, "Entry-Level" Jobs?-photo04152001.jpg

Old 04-15-2012, 10:23 PM

174 posts, read 378,707 times
If you are an semi attractive female then $25 an hour waiting tables is easy to surpass. My roommate's sister is a waitress at a local resturant and she cleared 60k last year from tips....and afaik the IRS thinks she made 14k...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM

175 posts, read 459,831 times
Maybe I should just get my TAM / ServSafe / STOP card and bartend again. I'll be in Williston tomorrow for an undetermined amount of time. As for Minot, I made this collage. I think you'll notice a theme :

I found about 10 more signs since I took the pictures. Mostly restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naelbis View Post
If you are an semi attractive female then $25 an hour waiting tables is easy to surpass.
I hate women... not really. Where's the gay bar? I want $25+/hr!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM

192 posts, read 497,316 times
Despite advertising, Buffalo Wild Wings

Dead as a door knob.....(what does that mean even?)

Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM

454 posts, read 940,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
Despite advertising, Buffalo Wild Wings

Dead as a door knob.....(what does that mean even?)
I'm guessing they can't find anyone to work there - just a guess on my part, nothing more.

"Dead as a door knob" - my definition : Totally and completely dead. (after all, door knobs were never alive in the first place)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota