Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 AM

155 posts, read 748,538 times

Advertisements

Since I have read a lot about the SUPER COLD typical winters in North Dakota, how bad is the “typical” summer heat and those mosquitos that I have been reading about there? Is the heat and mosquitos any better when you work indoors? How much does one have to worry about the ticks there?

I remember growing up in the 60's (in Los Angeles), we used to have a bad mosquito problem in the summer months, yet since the 2000's, our mosquito problem is very minimal (at least the part of Los Angeles where I live), yet we do have to deal with the West Nile Virus problem (here locally) every once in awhile, yet the West Nile Virus problem is not as bad as it used to be about 3 or 4 years ago. It seems that minors and the elderly are mainly affected by the West Nile Virus here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Can't tell you about the tics and skeeters, however, in the Weather Alert first post I put a link in there for Weather Climate that will give you daily temps, or averages over any time period you pick. So you can see what previous years have done. Here is the link. UNITED STATES CLIMATE NORMALS 1981-2010

Old 04-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Can't tell you about the tics and skeeters, however, in the Weather Alert first post I put a link in there for Weather Climate that will give you daily temps, or averages over any time period you pick. So you can see what previous years have done. Here is the link. UNITED STATES CLIMATE NORMALS 1981-2010
Thank you very much for your help, ElkHunter. I appreciate your help and link.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:03 PM

15 posts, read 44,398 times
The weather here in the summer can be extreme just like the rest of the year. It's not going to snow in July, but it could be 50 degrees or it could be over 100. It's not unheard of to have a 50 or 60 degree temperature swing in a single month. The state is typically on the drier side, so oppressive humidity isn't usually too big of an issue.

It's been a dry and very warm year so far. Temperatures have been mostly in the 60s and 70s since March. The unseasonable warmth and dryness should keep the mosquito and tick problem to a minimum, though. The bugs will get to be a bigger problem if we start to see more rain.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 PM

Thank you, Dirkmonson. I greatly appreciate your feedback and input.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
WCW, We have a saying here. If ya don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes ....It is well earned, the weather can be absolutely beautiful, like yesterday afternoon in the Red River Valley. Or there can be torrential down pours, where you literally need to pull over to let it pass, because your wipers can't keep up.
Low lying areas are sometimes subject to flooding, more on this side of the state I believe. The east side came be a tad bit humid at times, not often...but it is noticeable, and a person is miserable.

But, N.D. folks live for the days of summer. People walking down my street w/ or w/out their pets from early dawn til late at night...just enjoying it.

There are also many folks that go camping, or to the lake cabins. Fishing along the rivers, lakes ponds...drives in the countryside can be so heartwarming to me.

A bit off topic....When I lived in a small town following our flood here in G.F., the Finley/Sharon area...in a farm house loaned to myself and my 4 children....just loaned by a local farmer...no rent.. he refused...while my flooded home took about 5 mths to repair I personally got to wittness for the first time (cause I wasn't raised here) on a daily basis what all seasons were like driving through the country.

Seeing the same homes, fields, barns daily changing, crops growing, sunrise, sunsets to and from my job doing disaster work w/ other flood survivors. Seeing the same neighbors in the countryside begin to wave more enthusiastically as my passing car got familiar.
I kick myself constantly because I didn't take daily pictures. Long story short. There is nothing like a N.D. spring, summer or fall to me. Seeing the crops change, it is amasing and I still make an annual drive back to that little 2 story house on Hwy 32, like it's a touch stone.

People in N.D. have such a wonderful spirit of giving and sharing w/ their neighbors. That little wave of the fingers from the steering wheel may not be elaborate when compared to a key to the city...but it means, "Hey....How you doing" It still tickles me when I get a "wave" along an unfamiliar Hwy...Somehow it makes me feel safe.
So, to answer your question....all seasons can be rough weather wise, or they can be extreme....but the people are the same, caring, giving...and out there doing what needs to be done, and enjoying the time they have, thankful for the weather to be good enough. N.D. folks are always productive it has seemed to me in my 30 years here. Weddings are often planned around branding, or harvest....it is the common sense approach that I cherish.

Back to the subject....The thunderstorms are phenomenal, the sunrises and sunsets can leave you breathless....imo especially looking out my back yard in Williston. The Badlands are so beautiful to me, and when the setting sun is coloring the ridges w/ almost red orange...you'll never forget it.

You will like it, it is truly a great state. We just need to get some more housing built, some folks to obey traffic laws better, and the trouble makers on notice....I look for it to be crowded, but the N.D. spirit is strong...I was also raised in Sunny Calif....like you.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:03 AM

113 posts, read 230,848 times
Excellent descriptions.....

Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 AM

454 posts, read 940,713 times
Great post JanND!!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 AM

JanND, thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough and detailed answer. For sure, ND sounds like an overall truly wonderful place. Thank you so very much for sharing as much as you did, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
Hi there

I am a meteorologist at NWS Grand Forks, which serves the eastern part of the state. NWS Bismarck serves the western and central parts of the state (Rugby to Jamestown west). From a more technical viewpoint... I have worked and forecasted in our area since 1998. Of course each year has some differences, but in general...

The dividing line from a more humid climate to the east and a drier less humid climate to the west is often near Minot to just east of Bismarck. The areas from Bismarck west to Dickinson then up to Williston can get humid times, but often will get into a drier southwest flow and less humid weather and thus can experience prolonged dry periods any time of year. It can also get quite hot in that part of the state with 100 to 103 degree readings for highs occurring once or twice every year or two. Again can vary year to year....some years never getting to 100 in Bismarck some years a few times a year. More common are highs 85 to 90 and lows 55 to 60.

The western part of the state tends to dry out faster and can get more brown instead of green. The last drought for that part of the state was in the early 2000's when farmers needed hay for their cattle and many sloughs/creeks dried up. There has been wet years from about 2008 onward and creeks/lakes are back at pretty full levels. Gusty winds from the north or south can occur just about anytime of the year and wind in the western part of the state is something you have to get used to. Thunderstorms and severe weather with hail and tornadoes can occur, but tornadoes are rather rare and short lived with the main severe weather period Jun-Aug.

For the eastern half of the state (east of Minot-Bismarck) summer humid conditions are more consistent but are often broken by a cold front every few days. So it isnt like Florida...but we can certainly get very humid and muggy days. Rainfall and thunderstorms are a bit more frequent and in some years severe weather and high winds can be common. More common highs 80 to 85 and lows 60 to 65.

Mosquitos in the countryside can be a problem...more so if in an area of lakes/creeks/sloughs. If you have a wet summer, then mosquitos can be a nusiance. Cities spray often, at least here in the east. Any issues with West Nile virus is small, and seems to be more with animals, horses.

Ticks, not like the southern parts of the country....but yes there is a tick season and can impact dogs, and others out a lot in tall grasses.

--Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota