Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,899 times

Advertisements

Hello all my wife joined the Air Force and we just found out this week our first station is going to be Grand Forks AFB. I've google searched apartments but Warehouse Apartments, Primose Court, ect all are not taking applications. Can anyone give me any ideas of decent apartments that are no more then 20 minutes away from the base? What's fun to do in the area? We both love to camp,canoe, go shooting ect . Also, we're both Virginians so we're used to high heat and humidity and a little snow and ice each winter. Any advice or first real winter tips would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,959,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonamoose View Post
Hello all my wife joined the Air Force and we just found out this week our first station is going to be Grand Forks AFB. I've google searched apartments but Warehouse Apartments, Primose Court, ect all are not taking applications. Can anyone give me any ideas of decent apartments that are no more then 20 minutes away from the base? What's fun to do in the area? We both love to camp,canoe, go shooting ect . Also, we're both Virginians so we're used to high heat and humidity and a little snow and ice each winter. Any advice or first real winter tips would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!
I live/work in the Grand Forks area. I have helped several folks moving to the base over the past few years via this forum so hopefully I can assist you.

I have been in the area since 1998, but I have owned homes since then. So while I am familiar with the apartments in the area in terms of location and somewhat price I dont have any actual experience living in one (other than visiting friends in them).

That said, there are numerous newer apartments built in the past 5-7 years on the west and south side of towns. For 20 min to the base...your best bet is to stay west of Columbia Road and closer to I-29 so you can take I-29 to US2 and then head west.

It really depends on price range. Most complexes in town are owned and rented out by property management companies such as Goldmark (which doesnt have a great reputation)....IMM....Oxford...IRET and Hampton (plus a few others).

If price is no object I would recommend you check with
West Ridge apartments.....
West Ridge Apartments Grand Forks Area

Legacy Apartments....
IRET Apartments - Apartments for Rent in Grand Forks - East Grand Forks, ND - The Legacy Apartments

South Hampton Apartments (very close to Target)
Hampton management

All of these are quite nice....with garages. West Ridge and Legacy have heated underground parking as well and would probably be my top choices if I would move to town. I knew a fellow employee in Legacy and he liked it...2 BR around 1000/mo.

These would have a mix of students and professionals....further you get to campus up 42nd St or 34th St the more students you have (such as Forest Park or McEnroe).

Warehouse apartments are supposed to be nice...but it is very near a railroad track and personally not a huge fan of.

The above 3 are all very very close to all the shopping and major restaurants in town, as the major retail big box headquarters are along 32nd Ave S.

If the places I give are too expensive I can steer you in some other areas.

Vacancy rates in Grand Forks are quite a bit higher than the rest of the state so shouldnt be as hard to find housing here unlike western part of the state.

As for camping, there are a couple of nice state parks nearby. One is Turtle River SP a few miles west of the base on the western edge of the Red River valley. The other is up about 1 1/2 away at Icelandic State Park. There are many many camping spots and parks about 2 hours east toward Bemidji and Minnesota lake country. Some people do canoe the local Red River... but the nearest one I hear about is the Red Lake River over by Red Lake Falls MN about 1 hour east. There is a Grand Forks gun club I believe. Hunting and fishing are all quite popular in the area, esp east of us in the Minnesota forests. The immediate Grand Forks area is very flat and is mostly sugar beets, potatoes and wheat and open prairie.

As for weather....our winters would be quite cold compared to Virginia. Outside of the mountains...Virginia has more of a long fall compared to here. We do have several periods of below zero readings during the day and night with wind chills to 40 below at times. Last winter was the exception and was the warmest on record. We did hit -20 on two occasions last winter, but that is pretty mild. That said it isnt Fairbanks or anything. Outside of last winter....most winter days in Jan-Feb would see highs 5 to 15 above and lows 10 to 20 below at night. Snowfall can be frequent but usually not too heavy....but because of the cold temperatures snow on the ground from Thanksgiving to about mid March is pretty normal. The wind blows and is probably the worst of the weather and it can create blowing snow issues and on a few occasions in most winters can close area highways for a while. US 2 between the city and the base can be closed at times during the blowing snow events...maybe 1-2 times a winter. Last year none...some years several times. All in all...if you dont mind the cold and come here with a fresh mind on the weather change it isnt as bad as you think. That is what most newcomers say....they develop these ideas of frozen tundra with no one living and are pleasantly surprised to see a vibrant small city.

One word is hockey. Hockey from young youth to college is king here and very much a fabric of life in the winter.

Roads are kept plowed....not ice-free...but plowed so in general you can drive around in any two wheel drive vehicle just fine. Having a 4x4 vehicle or a vehicle with a higher clearance would be helpful on those few days in bad storms due to drifting snow. If you are parked outside a lot....many get block heaters installed to plug in the engines or get remote starters. But they are not necessary, but nice to have.

Any more ? I hope I can help.

Dan

Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 12,899 times
DaninEGF
Thank you so so much I appreciate all the info!
Yeah price isn't an issue as were pretty debt free and she's got BAH and I have my own income coming in. These apartments are fantastic I will be calling this week to try and find one . Thanks for the info on the climate as well as camping areas as well . If there is anything else would you mind if I sent you a direct message? Thanks again!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,959,910 times
Quote:
DaninEGF
Thank you so so much I appreciate all the info!
Yeah price isn't an issue as were pretty debt free and she's got BAH and I have my own income coming in. These apartments are fantastic I will be calling this week to try and find one . Thanks for the info on the climate as well as camping areas as well . If there is anything else would you mind if I sent you a direct message? Thanks again!
Yes feel free to message me anytime. I like to help or if I dont know try to point you in the right direction.

Right across from South Hampton Apartments are Town Square townhomes which are rented. These would be more expensive but also more roomy with attached garage. You can view these from the Hampton page along with South Hampton apartments.

I am glad you are willing to consider apartments, as so many who move here want to rent a single family home, which is much harder to do. This area is more of a buying single family home area than renting.

There are other newer complexes than the 3 listed....but I think those three would suit your needs well in terms of good location and relative ease to the base. Highway 2 (or Gateway Dr it is called in town) is the more industrial end of town and the south end is the more residential and shopping end. Thus most of your options are a bit south of Highway 2 in the southwest end of town. There is the SuperTarget (w/ groceries) right there at 34th St S and 32nd along with a Kohls right there at that corner (along with other smaller stores). The new Olive Garden just opened up along 32nd near the mall, and there are many other shopping areas right in that region of 32nd between Columbia Rd and the interstate.

But yes PM me anytime.

Dan

Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,087,331 times
Quote:
the base housing was remodeled extensively a few years ago. Do you not qualify for on base housing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: