Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,209,624 times

Advertisements

Was that before or after 9-11?
Most states require some sort of proof of residency. A utility bill, received in your name at your current physical address, is the most common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM

454 posts, read 937,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
TBH they probably don't care. As long as a person can get mail at a location they should be all set. I got my Alaska license/residency by using a homeless shelter's address as I slept out in the woods. I preferred my arch rival, the squirrel, in my campsite who stole my sandwiches and occasionally taunted me with stare downs to belligerent drunks, snoring, and people who could never lay still after 4am. Just did it for one month then told my credit cards to use my MA address again. (I'm a stickler for keeping my financial records... have like 5 years worth of stubs, statements, etc.)

Alaska is also nice as they print out your license right there at the DMV and you walk out with it. Not sure how it is in ND.
For renewal of vehicle registration in ND, the DMV can usually print out the new registration card and vehicle tabs right there, while you wait. I say usually because the last time I was in to renew one of our vehicles, the guy in front of us had some issue and they couldn't print his stuff that day, he was going to have to wait to receive them in the mail and he was not a happy camper - he through a fit and made himself look like a toddler throwing a tantrum, every one was embarrassed.

For a new registration in ND I'm not sure if you get them while at the DMV or if they are mailed out.

Drivers licenses are printed the minute you pass your test or renew your license - no waiting.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,085,089 times
Just got my Son a little beater and registered it. You pay the fees, they put your new plates, which they nicely put with your tags on into an envelope. You get a temp piece of paper for your glove box, and the real registration comes w/in 8 weeks. You put your new plates onto your vehicle. Also, for anyone that might not know....in N.D. if you seel a vehicle....you are supposed to keep your old plates. They don't go w/ the car.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM

175 posts, read 458,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Was that before or after 9-11?
Most states require some sort of proof of residency. A utility bill, received in your name at your current physical address, is the most common.
For me, the physical address was the shelter. If your husband's company will let him accept mail it would be their address. This was post 9/11.... 12/2010. CCs don't care what address you use as long as they get paid. (Never tried it but I also hear they even accept third-party checks.) Not sure how much of a stink a bank or utility would put up.

The point that treefuls of junk mail won't be sent their way should be made. I would think they would probably help him out.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM

Aside from whether it's legal or not (which I doubt), I can think of a half dozen reasons why you wouldn't want to tie yourself to an employer's address...

Also, he can't transfer residency because then he can't vote here at home.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:10 PM

175 posts, read 458,893 times
Well it's a potential route to pursue.... any other address he can use will work just as well. He could register to vote in ND afterwards. IDK how it works in other states but in AK having a driver's license doesn't automatically make one a resident. Actually meeting residency requirements varies among state organizations/departments (in AK). I may be eligible for a resident commercial fishing license but ineligible for the 2011 permanent fund dividend even though I spent 2 years in the state. I'll see in October what they decided.... not living in a house complicated things for sure.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
IDK how it works in other states but in AK having a driver's license doesn't automatically make one a resident.
Ah. Which is why you didn't have to prove residency. I wonder if the permanent fund has something to do with that, actually... No other state has such a thing, afterall.

I have yet to live in a state that didn't require legal residency in order to have a driver's license, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota